McLaren F1 Successor? - The T50

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
@GTSpartan Yes, that is one serious check mark in the special column of the F1, how a car designed as a somewhat comfy, driver-focused fun car transitioned so easily into a dominant race car. Definitely will be the last street-car to win overall at Le Mans.

@2011 gtcs Yes, the 911 GT1 is gorgeous and badass, but I actually prefer the XJ220 over it for twin-turbo 6-cylinder supercars. In my Need for Speed 2 90s fantasy, my top 5 is rounded out by the Diablo GT and XJ220, with 993 911 GT2 in 6th.

I've seen both a CLK GTR and XJ220 in person and the XJ has to be one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Gets a lot more attentiontion that it's sibling the XJR15 which I believe was a more successful racecar and is rarer as a street car.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@GTSpartan Yes, that is one serious check mark in the special column of the F1, how a car designed as a somewhat comfy, driver-focused fun car transitioned so easily into a dominant race car. Definitely will be the last street-car to win overall at Le Mans.

@2011 gtcs Yes, the 911 GT1 is gorgeous and badass, but I actually prefer the XJ220 over it for twin-turbo 6-cylinder supercars. In my Need for Speed 2 90s fantasy, my top 5 is rounded out by the Diablo GT and XJ220, with 993 911 GT2 in 6th.

I remember all the drama about the XJ220 engine. Didn't folks give deposits for the V12 concept and ended up with, many years later, the TT V6??

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I remember all the drama about the XJ220 engine. Didn't folks give deposits for the V12 concept and ended up with, many years later, the TT V6??
Yes, it was supposed to have a V12 and AWD, but ended up with RWD and a TT-V6. I know some people were upset with that but the TT-V6 was derived from its race cars at the time and made 50 more hp and 75 more lb-ft than the V12. Plus, without the AWD system (which would have been pretty clunky, see the Diablo VT) the production car was 200lbs lighter than the concept.

blk02edge

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the T.50 is better and more special in every aspect than the F1. The same guy pain-stakingly designed them both, and he has even better and more advanced manufacturing techniques and technologies available to him. There is no quantifiable area the F1 is better than the T.50. And even though hypercars are far more common now than in the mid 90s, the T.50 is still more special.

HOWEVER, my personal opinion is the F1 looks far better, and if I had the $20mil needed for one, I'd be getting that and driving the shit out of it. I gotta hit the lottery or get several promotions to get the 90s trifecta of an F1, F50, and CLK-GTR.
i'm sorry but its not comparable. the F1 has a history of records and racing history that the T.50 cant and won't ever match. Pure performance and tech are entirely irrelevant when it comes to making a car "special"

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
i'm sorry but its not comparable. the F1 has a history of records and racing history that the T.50 cant and won't ever match. Pure performance and tech are entirely irrelevant when it comes to making a car "special"
I completely agree when comparing the T.50 to the F1, The F1 is totally in a league of it's own, and how long did it hold the v-max crown (24 years)?. However, I really think the T.50 is EXTREMELY "special" in today's hybrid, 2 pedal, active this active that era. The T,50 has 3 pedals, because that what the customers want. Not any other reason, as we all know its "slower" with 3 pedals. While this car is special, in my opinion, the F1 is my favorite car of all time, and unlikely to change, ever. Its too bad the T.50 is not coming here (with out a NHTSA "show and display" exemption).

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I completely agree when comparing the T.50 to the F1, The F1 is totally in a league of it's own, and how long did it hold the v-max crown (24 years)?. However, I really think the T.50 is EXTREMELY "special" in today's hybrid, 2 pedal, active this active that era. The T,50 has 3 pedals, because that what the customers want. Not any other reason, as we all know its "slower" with 3 pedals. While this car is special, in my opinion, the F1 is my favorite car of all time, and unlikely to change, ever. Its too bad the T.50 is not coming here (with out a NHTSA "show and display" exemption).

Are you sure? I thought it was going to be cleared for US sales?

Also, they developed an automatic for the T.50 but they didn't get a single order for one. Gordon Murray kind of joked about how many millions of dollars they wasted on developing one thinking they would get enough people that wanted it.

blk02edge

Established Member
Oh don't get me wrong, T50 is certainly special beyond any other car currently available But the F1 is the absolute automotive GOAT. That's all I mean

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Are you sure? I thought it was going to be cleared for US sales?

My understanding the T.50 is not officially coming. One of the issues for US certification is the lack of side mirrors. It uses cameras and screens, and the US does not like that yet. For sure this car is a poster child for the "show and display" program, so one would think they would wind up here, eventually. The "baby brother" T.33 is going to be available here.

Oh don't get me wrong, T50 is certainly special beyond any other car currently available But the F1 is the absolute automotive GOAT. That's all I mean

We are then completely on the same page.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
My understanding the T.50 is not officially coming. One of the issues for US certification is the lack of side mirrors. It uses cameras and screens, and the US does not like that yet. For sure this car is a poster child for the "show and display" program, so one would think they would wind up here, eventually. The "baby brother" T.33 is going to be available here.

We are then completely on the same page.
It probably still be imported under the "Show or Display" rule, that's the only way you can get a Mclaren Speedtail into the US.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Here is the link to the NHTSA show and display list. These are the cars that are already approved, making the application process more straight forward. You are limited to 2500 miles a year, and your exemption is non transferable. When you sell the car, the new owner has to get their own. Now if your car is not on this list, and your starting from scratch its a lot more work to get it done.

Users who are viewing this thread