McLeod clutch

Myusername

Established Member
Ok, so I've read many threads and everyone suggests McLeod rst twin disk for replacement clutch over any brand. My question is why get the twin disk over a McLeod single disk clutch? I am needing a replacement, my car is near stock power and I don't plan on going f/I or making high hp. I don't go to the drag strip or track, but I do drive it like I stole it. I've called a few shops around and they even say to get the twin rst. They just say it works good. Of course they are all dealing with high hp f/I cars. Would a single disk McLeod super street pro or even exedy Mach 500 be fine, or is there a really good reason for the twin disk? Is it for Longevity? Help me out here.
Thanks

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Stock hp doesnt need that much clutch..any reputable single disc will suit your needs with no twin disc chatter at idle...

lpheaven

Established Member
Stock hp doesnt need that much clutch..any reputable single disc will suit your needs with no twin disc chatter at idle...

Agree. You are replacing, not upgrading to support additional modifications or horsepower. How many miles did you get out of the oem one ? If you got your money and mileage out of it, you can just get the oem replacement if you were happy with it.

If not the exedy 500 is a fine replacement and very similar to the oem organic disk clutch. The spec stage 2 plus kit is another solid replacement and can handle even a bit more HP.

I would suggest also replacing the flywheel too.

Myusername

Established Member
I got the car used, the clutch has had issues from day one that I had it, so I am replacing slave cyl and all. I figured the single disk McLeod super street pro or exedy Mach 500 would be fine but all the performance shops and vendors I called we're all pushing the rst twin disk, so it had me puzzled.

DaBigBone

Established Member
The twin disk is the best because it holds a ton of power yet still has a stock pedal feel to it. A single disk that can hold 800+ will typically have a very heavy pedal. For your power level and future plans I'd also give a vote for an Exedy 500. Great setup and feels only slightly firmer than stock.

Myusername

Established Member
Ok. That's what I was thinking. Do you guys think I should replace the flywheel too or is my stock one fine?

TJ Whelan

Established Member
Ok. That's what I was thinking. Do you guys think I should replace the flywheel too or is my stock one fine?

If you are going to a McLeod, you will need to use a different flywheel.

As stated before, a twin disc may be overkill for your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread