McLeod RXT or Spec P-Trim?

jcthorne

Established Member
With 30k on the stock clutch, the odds are that my 2007 will need a clutch soon. Want to be prepared when it does.

Question is, has any one DRIVEN a GT500 with both of these clutches? I have a STREET car, drive it to work daily. That said, its right at 600RWHP and I don't baby it. I need a clutch that can handle the HP, work smoothly in daily street driving and last AT LEAST as long as the factory clutch.

Heck, I'd buy a new factory ceramic clutch if Ford would sell me one. Alas, not an option.

With my mods, and likely a few more to come, the 2 choices in my subject are likely the only two I see fitting the bill. Even if you have not driven both of them, if you own one or the other and have significant street miles on it (say 10k or more) would really like to hear from you.

Thanks for the opinions.

frydguy79

Established Member
i just ordered the RXT track pgk myself,, i had put a spec in a mustang gt for a customer and it was a piece of crap, and i finally took it out and went to a ford racing one,, i wont even look at spec now after that crap

pony23

Established Member
I had an RXT in my 03 Cobra and loved it. Great clutch. I will get one for my 500

Rob_03Mach

Established Member
+1...RXT...Love the clutch feels like / better than OEM. Different story at the track....See my signature for mods....

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
I have the P trim. Never drove one with an RXT. I went from stock like you to a P trim. Shifts awesome. Grabby at first. But once its broke in and you learn to drive it. Its fine. I would say its a little more aggressive then the stock one. It does make some noise while the clutch is pushed in. I do like it, great clutch. From what i was told by Spec. The SS is more streetable. But wont last as long as the P.

jcthorne

Established Member
look at the spec ss

The spec ss is an 8" organic face clutch. Spec admits its not sufficient for what I have now, much less any adders. They do not recommend the SS for supersnakes for the same reason. My apprehension with the P trim is its metallic disks. I have never seen a metallic disk clutch with ANY street manors or hold up well in daily street use.

My apprehension with the RXT is the unsprung disk hubs. This usually makes for noisy drivetrain, abrupt engagement and gear wear do to the transmitted vibration. At the moment, this is looking like my best choice. Anyone can tell me the real world differeces between the two offered flywheels with this clutch?

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I have the P trim. Never drove one with an RXT. I went from stock like you to a P trim. Shifts awesome. Grabby at first. But once its broke in and you learn to drive it. Its fine. I would say its a little more aggressive then the stock one. It does make some noise while the clutch is pushed in. I do like it, great clutch. From what i was told by Spec. The SS is more streetable. But wont last as long as the P.
What he said

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
I have a P trim and it's holding up well. Whatever you do make sure it has an Aluminum flywheel....The weight of the steel flywheel will hit the tires to hard on shifts and launch. Good luck!

crazy4life

Established Member
I have the Mcleod RXT. Like it very much and I took out the free 2010 clutch and put the Mcleod in. Did not like the 2010 clutch at all.

Greg@SVTOA

A.K.A Greg@GLD
Established Member
Has anyone here tried that new Dyad dual-disc from Centerforce? Looks very interesting...

m5lp_1012_09+2010_castrol_syntec_top_car_challenge_buildup_part_3+2007_ford_shelby_GT500.jpg

Last edited:

Greg@SVTOA

A.K.A Greg@GLD
Established Member
whats it rated at, 1st time ive even seen it

No idea, it's not even listed yet on C/F's website.
I happened to see it as a sidebar in a 5.0 mag article. I know Lethal has a single-disc C/F kit but this looks like it will hold up and C/F makes a good product.
My current clutch is holding up fine, but this is something I'd look at if I needed a clutch.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I would go with the McLeod RXT just from experience in using these clutches in our cars. The RXT's can take any abuse that you can throw at it, while still being daily drivable. The are definitely more grabby, but not chattery at all. The clutch can still be slipped as well. I have not driven a car with the Spec P trim, but we've received decent feedback on them as well. My vote is for the RXT.

jcthorne

Established Member
I have the Mcleod RXT. Like it very much and I took out the free 2010 clutch and put the Mcleod in. Did not like the 2010 clutch at all.

Which flywheel did you go with? Is there an aluminum flywheel available that works well with the RXT?

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
The reason i went with Spec is. Its just like an 07/09 clutch. But its bigger and made with higher quality materials. When they are side by side you can see for yourself.

jcthorne

Established Member
The reason i went with Spec is. Its just like an 07/09 clutch. But its bigger and made with higher quality materials. When they are side by side you can see for yourself.

I have been corrected on a few points. The Spec super twins are 10". The P trim and ST are both carbon metalic not full metalic. The E trim is full metalic and not for street use. The SS is organic like the 2010 clutch.

Wish it were possible to drive them and make an educated decision. All I really have to go by is the number of complaints from folks that tried the spec and were not happy with the street manors. No complaints from track folks though.

The RXT seems to get universally good reviews from street driven car owner other than the noise when the pedal is depressed (should be short lived anyway) But the steel flywheels McLeod supplies along with the bigger pressure plate add rotational mass, would be nice to use an aluminum flywheel with it and get some of that weight reduced. Then again, maybe not.

I've driven an Spec SS and its fine, but will not support 700+ hp in daily use. The P trim is very different. Not sure what the ST is mentioned above but obviouly from a track only perspective considering the source.

Last edited:

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
I have been corrected on a few points. The Spec super twins are 10". The P trim and ST are both carbon metalic not full metalic. The E trim is full metalic and not for street use. The SS is organic like the 2010 clutch.

Wish it were possible to drive them and make an educated decision. All I really have to go by is the number of complaints from folks that tried the spec and were not happy with the street manors. No complaints from track folks though.

The RXT seems to get universally good reviews from street driven car owner other than the noise when the pedal is depressed (should be short lived anyway) But the steel flywheels McLeod supplies along with the bigger pressure plate add rotational mass, would be nice to use an aluminum flywheel with it and get some of that weight reduced. Then again, maybe not.

I've driven an Spec SS and its fine, but will not support 700+ hp in daily use. The P trim is very different. Not sure what the ST is mentioned above but obviouly from a track only perspective considering the source.

I though the same as you. Then a gave them a call and this is what Spec told me. I wrote it down.

SS trim is rated for 900lb/ft of tq. and uses a "hybrid" clutch disc where one side of the disc is full faced Kevlar and the other side is a 6 puck carbon metallic

P trim is rated for 1100lb/ft of tq. and uses twin 6 puck ceramic discs

ST trim is rated for 1200lb/ft of tq and uses twin full faced carbon metallic discs

E trim is rated for 1400+ lb/ft of tq. and uses two unsprund citered iron discs which is not recommended for the street

When i installed my P trim. It was a 6 puck ceramic disc on both side of the disc. It looked just like my stock clutch disc. But bigger.

R1Lello

Established Member

fyi, one more correction, the RXT and RST do come with steel flywheels but can be had with a lightened steel flywheel so weight is the same or close to a stocker. Its on their website and Lethals too.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread