McLeod Twin Disc RST clutch WOW

SVT5.4L

Established Member
My car is an '03 vert with just under 50k miles.

This makes the car's second clutch.

I remember how the car felt with the stock clutch, a bit firm but was very street friendly, slipped eaisly for smooth easy driving - never a complaint.

Several years ago, after reading many reviews and opinions online I decided to go with the SPEC package. My car is just over 470 at the wheels so I went with the SPEC stage 3, and went with the new matching SPEC flywheel, etc. At the time I also installed a STEEDA aluminum firewall adjuster and double hook quadrant. Also installed the adjustable clutch cable all bought from Lethal. I was pretty happy with it, shifts were very firm, pedal feel was even worse but I got used to it.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I started noticing the clutch slipping at high RPM, and could smell it after parking it in the garage. It also didn't feel quite right between shifts so I knew it was time.

After a few hours of reading online I decided to go with the McLeod. With my power level I went with the RST and opted to go with the Factory flywheel that i've had over the years, cost me $30 bucks to have it re-surfaced. Also bought a new OEM clutch cable and got rid of the adjustable. Kept the steeda adjuster and quadrant.

All I can say is WOW. I don't even feel like i'm driving the same vehicle and I am not one to exagerate - at all. It literally feels i'm driving my sister's scion box. (i call them the box i always get the letters mixed up heh but its a 5 spd)

Just for kicks I got down to see if I could press the clutch pedal in with my hand and I could do it with my index and middle finger, it almost feels too light! As far as driveablility, I would go as far as to say better than stock! Slips just fine, responds perfectly to the firewall adjuster. You know, it actually makes me sick becuase I feel like i've been missing out on my car over the years in terms of how much more I could've been enjoying it.

I can't attest to how long it should last because it has only been 500 miles, but so far so good that is for sure.
I can't say enough about the McLeod clutch, and the service from lethal performance. I highly recommend this clutch and as far as the extra couple hundred bucks, i'd have paid twice that the first time if only I had known it would be such a pleasure to drive. I just had no idea!!

ENJOY YOUR COBRA WITH THE MCLEOD! lethal / mcleod customer for life :burnout: thank me later :rockon:

Marc

Established Member
That is good news as I am the processing of getting a clutch for my car for my 2.8KB Mammoth build. I am going the RXT which I think is the step above the RST. I can't wait to get it installed.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
Good info for when its time for a clutch :-D

Would like to to hear an update/review when you get yours Marc

Last edited:

Marc

Established Member
Unfortunately, it will be months before mine is in installed. I won't be back to the states to get my car until July. I am finishing up my tour here in Japan.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
Unfortunately, it will be months before mine is in installed. I won't be back to the states to get my car until July. I am finishing up my tour here in Japan.

No prob, my OE is still fine and I am in no hurry :-D ,come home safe :salute: and thank you again for your service

Fat-cat

Established Member
That's the same clutch I am putting in my car.

Good to hear the review. :thumbsup:

Sleeper i hope you are putting and RXT in your Car.. The RST is a great clutch for Eaton powered cars not pullied to the nines or on spray. The RST will get ****en destroyed with Twin screw power if you slip the clutch at all racing. RXT is the way to go.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
Sleeper i hope you are putting and RXT in your Car.. The RST is a great clutch for Eaton powered cars not pullied to the nines or on spray. The RST will get ****en destroyed with Twin screw power if you slip the clutch at all racing. RXT is the way to go.

Yeaa, I had the RST first and like you said it didn't like to be slipped at all, I burnt it up after a few thousand miles and some track passes. RXT is definitely the way to go.

Last edited:

CscottsSS

got boost?
Established Member
Hmmm...... So for a pullied Cobra and maybe soon a ported eaton car I should spend the extra $ the first time and get the RXT? Is it really worth $200 more? My car doesnt' see the track, just the street.

03yellow

Established Member
Love my ram twin disk! Gotta be getting close to 40,000 miles. Getting harder to push peddal( tob) down but still grabs great.
I used the plastic insert thing Mott the metal. Feels just like the Ram hd.

The sweet spot in the clutch is with the cable adjusted a little further off the floor than my old clutch. Old clutch was very close to the floor maybe 1.5 or 2 inches. I'm about 3/4 of an inch higher now. Have not had any luck with a full on speed shift but my tranny has been pounded on 125,000 miles.
I will probably remove the clutch in the spring and replace the tob and slightly sand flywheel.
I've replaced all my other clutches after a year or so. I think this clutch is over 2 years now.

monX

Established Member
Wow, I'm jealous, I always complain of my stiffer pedal, thanks for the review!

bd93cobra

Established Member
When running ether the RST or RXT do you need to install an adjustable clutch fork pivot ball? Is this clutch easy to setup?

SVT5.4L

Established Member
Wow, I'm jealous, I always complain of my stiffer pedal, thanks for the review!

You and me both. I just assumed it was part of having a high HP vehicle. WRONG. this clutch is amazing, i found myself driving around aimlessly just to get the 500 miles on it for break in so I could really get on it !

SVT5.4L

Established Member
Also, I planned on doing the install myself so on jack stands i removed the exhaust, drive shaft, transmission, and old clutch flywheel, and clutch cable. Then I got to thinking i don't want to mess Anything up and do something wrong putting the new Clutch in. I brought the clutch, flywheel, trans, exhaust, ds, and towed the car to a trans shop and they had it all back together in a day for only $215 and that included resurfacing the flywheel. I told them to leave the top bolt out on the starter ;)

bb97gt

Established Member
I just put an RXT in my car over the weekend, and WOW. By far the best clutch I have ever driven. The pedal pressure is lighter then my girlfriends Eclipse GS lol. Drivability is equivalent to stock, if not a little bit better. For a clutch that can hold north of 1000hp it is just amazing, props to the boys a McLeod.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Nope. RST for me.

My stock clutch was in great shape believe it or not. (Ask skaarew04SVT) he saw it the other day.

The RST holds up to 800 RWHP capacity. The stock T56 only hold around 450 so it really doesn't matter. Also, I only drive my car on the street. No track use so no worries there either. I think it will be perfect for what I want out of a clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread