Me vs. 500HP 94 Cobra

trance565

Established Member
hey, this is svt stangs bro, yea, that's my friends mustang, before he bought it, the dude sent him pics of the dyno sheet, and it showed about 493??? whp with the 2.95 pulley, my friend really shifts slow, and svtstang, got a big jump, cuz my friend wasnt in gear when he started honking. if we get to go tomorrow, ima see if i cant get my friend to shift faster.

fiveo'cobra

Established Member
If that car is really making 500whp from ported GT40 heads and an SQ trim, this is the first time i hear of it.

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
Damn Ben, I didn't know you had an LS1 along with your GT!!!! That's fuggin trick. I saw your bro or friend at the gas station one night and thought it was you in the GT. Turns out you had an LS1 too!!!??? You lucky bastard

tiredofchex

Established Member
A 306 with H/C/I the max you're going to make is 350-370 ish at the rear and that's pushing it. With the Vortech maybe an extra 100 hp?.... That's a gorgeous cobra btw, you're right, once he gets familiar with driving it and how it handles he'll have no problem with your SS. Being that he picked it up from someone in San Antonio, it doesn't surprise me it's that mean. Nice vid dude, keep it up.

Last edited:

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
I think 490 rwhp on 10 psi from an SQ Trim is a little high for that combo with GT40 heads, ported or not but it's possible maybe. What people dont understand about these races is, you have somebody with a new combo and things will change, he will learn to start from the SWEET SPOT in the car, shift better, take it up higher to where it ACTUALLY makes full boost, it will make a huge difference. Not to mention he bought the car like that, the belt could be slipping or anything since the car was dynoed. Alot of variables people just dont take into consideration.

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
tiredofchex said:
A 306 with H/C/I the max you're going to make is 350-370 ish at the rear and that's pushing it. With the Vortech maybe an extra 100 hp?.... That's a gorgeous cobra btw, you're right, once he gets familiar with driving it and how it handles he'll have no problem with your SS. Being that he picked it up from someone in San Antonio, it doesn't surprise me it's that mean. Nice vid dude, keep it up.

With a mild heads, cam, intake setup on a 306, you are gonna be lucky to make in the 280-310 rwhp range. Vortech SQ Trim at 10 PSI on that combo will add alot more than 100 hp but 490 still sounds high for the combo.

delmarsteelers

Established Member
Bad driver is not enough to mess up at least a hundred hp difference when your going from a roll race, unless he misses a gear or is spinning on the roll. If it was from a dig anything can hapen, but these cars or close to the same weight and at a minimum of 100 hp difference. I know that LS1's are bad ass when mods are thrown in the mix, but they are beating 500 rwhp cobra's that bad from a roll with the mods this one has? Hell, I better get a kb, because I have a race with one that has those mods and 100 shot of nos.

Last edited:

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
98gt281 said:
Sorry bud, you are wrong. His car has EXACTLY what I said and makes exactly the power I said. I really don't feel like turing this into some BS thread arguing about numbers so Im not gonna get into it. Like I said, it is a HCI 306 with full exhaust (LT's, ORH, Flows) and a V2 SQ@10 psi. Beleive what you want. Like I said, he JUST got the car and Im sure he will learn to drive it better. The race was from my sweet spot in 2nd gear :coolman:

It's obvious I'm not the only one calling :bs: on those power claims. You have a nice stout car but not enough to stay in front of a 490rwhp car for more than a couple of seconds while he spins. As soon as he hooks it'll be over with. He'd put buslengths on you and he didn't which sheds quite a bit of doubt on those #'s you stated. :poke:

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
I may be talking apples to oranges here but I'm making 430rwhp with just a blower- no motor work what-so-ever.

The race was lame though. The SS clearly jumped him and they were all excited about winning.... came off ricer like...
I would love to see another race with a seasoned driver in the Cobra.

98gt281

Established Member
Ok guys, here is the mod list on the Cobra........

THE NUMBERS:
3.33 Pulley
Between 480/500 RWHP @ 6000 RPM and 430 RWTQ depending on the day
2.95 Pulley
500 RWHP @ 6000 RPM and 475 RWTQ
SUPERCHIP Tune

THE ENGINE:
Vortech S-Trim V2
Anderson Power Pipe
Anderson Bullet tensioner adjuster
Keith Craft 306 Balanced
Ford Racing Crankshaft Harmonic Balancer
Worked stock crank
Eagle I Beams
TRW Flat Top Forged Aluminum Pistons
9:1
ARP Studs in bottom end
ARP Oil Pump Shaft
ARP Rod Bolts
FMS High Volume Oil Pump
FMS Timing chain and Double Roller
Canton 7qt Pan
Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam
1.6 Crane Roller Rockers
GT40 Heads w/new rebuild, o-ringed and ported to a Felpro 1250, flowed and port matched
ARP Head Studs
Port matched and hogged cobra lower
Port matched and hogged Down's upper
Port matched and hogged Trick Flow elbow
Eldebrock 65 mm Throttle Body
100 hours port work from Throttle Body up
42 # FMS Injectors
80 MM Pro M MAF
MSD Wires
MSD Bullet Distributor
MSD 6AL Ignition Box
MSD Coil EFI
Full Aeromotive Fuel System with filter before and after the pump and steel braided lines the whole way, y-block, rails and Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fluidyne Radiator
Stock Electric Fan
Engine built with all new hardware including APR bolt set
All parts bought new
New lifters
New pushrods and new retainers and spyder
1 5/8 FMS Shorty Headers
Off road h pipe
3 chamber flows running stock out the back
Convertible Motor Mounts

You be the judge, like I said I am no 5.0 expert. There will be a re-match soon.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
lasercobra said:
The race was lame though. The SS clearly jumped him and they were all excited about winning.... came off ricer like...
I would love to see another race with a seasoned driver in the Cobra.

I agree...the only time I see people jump a race and act like that are people that fear they are going to lose. :burnout:

And at the end the Cobra was clearly slowly pulling back.

XplicitBoost

All Eyes On Me
Established Member
This argument would probably not happen if they were both svt's :-D

I understand what you guys are saying though, 100HP difference is tons of power to win over even with a bad driver :shrug:

98gt281

Established Member
Anybody who says I jumped the honk count is deaf, 1st of all I was honking and B it is EASY to clearly hear my car go WOT AFTER the 3rd honk. The race was from 50MPH to 130MPH, so needless to say the Cobra had PLENTY of time to catch me if he could. The Cobra has 3.73 gears and at 50MPH he had to shift pretty damn fast, as you can see in the video, the SS pulls nicely up to 70MPH so thats where I was able to put distance between us, after that the cars stayed pretty even, with the Cobra edging up a little right before we shut down. It's not like I shut down because he was coming, I took 4th gear to 6700rpms and shut down. We raced again after that and from 30-130 (BAD spot for me) and the SS was maybe a foot ahead at the end. He will learn to drive better, he did just get the car. Hopefully there will be a renmatch soon.

Users who are viewing this thread