Meth as octane booster. TRUTH.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Some folks have doubted the effectiveness of Meth to boost octane spraying pre-blower. We here are the results.

First, we know spraying pre-blower basically negates the "cooling" effect of meth injection on IAT2s. It does how ever substantially cool the blower itself. I have girly soft hands, and after each dyno pull today I put my hand directly on the blower, and it was luke warm at best.

Now onto the results. Pump gas tune, 19#s of boost, and 24* of timing through a Whipple. Mods in sig. If that doesn't tell the story, I don't know what does. Rolling on to the dyno the first pull was with the meth set to start at 3.5v, and full on at 4.0 on the MAF.. The baseline tune was the same as I had on there (18* timing), AFRs were 9:1, without the meth was 11.8:1..

Meth mix was pretty much 50/50 water to meth and it was wanting to be very rich the whole time we were on the dyno..

This was all on the 650cc Jet.

Peak power wasn't as high as I hoped, but it was hot in the dyno room and power under the curve is beastly. it makes over 600whp from 5000rpm climbing all the way to redline.

Meth works. Period end of story.

mi03cobra

Established Member
I'm glad to see this thread. All you hear is the negative about the product from many people that have no experience with it. I just bought the stage 2 kit and will be installing this evening. I will be giving my tuner the go ahead to get radical with it. I will post results as I'm going to see just what you can do with this stuff on a fairly aggressive tune and 12.0 or higher afr. When I bought my car it was 12.5 afr and I'm sure it had been there for quite some time. We shall see. Good write up.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
You can make that power on pump gas and no meth with a much less aggressive tune. What am I missing here? Maybe I'm not reading your post correctly.

Last edited:

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
It's more a display that the meth does in fact do a significant job of adding fuel, which has been disputed. The meth was never intended as a power adder, it was an additional source of octane is all.

I have more than enough fuel to run the same aggression with the smaller pulley, but I want to get the KC installed before tossing more boost at it.

Had I dynoed in the same conditions as last time, power would have been up from what it is. Last time was a cool night, with ice in the tank. It was mid 90s in the dyno room, and I didn't bring any ice with me.

There is nothing aggressive about low 11 afrs.

Previously the car made 598 on a hero run at the end but afrs were in the low 12s. I know I'm leaving some power on the table, but I'd rather not be on the edge with the meth just in case.

There is a ton fuel in the system though, that I'm really excited about doing the 3 inch upper.

Ironhand

Banned
I can put my hand on top of a Whipple without meth after a 45 minute drive and getting on it several times. :shrug:

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Your hands are more durable than mine.. Two back to back pulls and it wasn't comfortable for my delicate flower hands.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I understand the octane improvement with meth, in the other thread my intention was to indicate full advantage was not taken of it's benefits when you opted to go with a before blower introduction.

For simple octane improvements you can also pour some Torco in the tank for significantly less hassle and expense. Amazon.com: The Best Octane Booster 5 gal. pail of Torco Accelerator: Automotive

Just saying. If I was going to do a Meth kit I would want all the possible benefits it could bring to the party. I do understand though that the meth octane improvements apparently are NOT an insignificant thing.:beer:

Also as cheap as an infrared digital thermometer can be acquired, "delicate flower hands" is more than a bit lacking as a compelling indicator for before and after temperature testing.:-D

It is kinda funny though.:p If that was what you were also shooting for.

sisky wolf

Established Member
Meth

I understand the octane improvement with meth, in the other thread my intention was to indicate full advantage was not taken of it's benefits when you opted to go with a before blower introduction.

For simple octane improvements you can also pour some Torco in the tank for significantly less hassle and expense. Amazon.com: The Best Octane Booster 5 gal. pail of Torco Accelerator: Automotive

Just saying. If I was going to do a Meth kit I would want all the possible benefits it could bring to the party. I do understand though that the meth octane improvements apparently are NOT an insignificant thing.:beer:

Also as cheap as an infrared digital thermometer can be acquired, "delicate flower hands" is more than a bit lacking as a compelling indicator for before and after temperature testing.:-D

See my sig...we picked up 105 rwhp using the meth.. injected into throttle body..dual injectors..The equivalent of running 116 octane...I run on 91 octane...on race tune I add 1 can of Torco...

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member

These sissy hands are calibrated :D.. I realize I could just add torco, but I figured I'd play guinea pig a little bit. Next time the blower comes off I'll try some things to get it injected after the IC, so it will already be installed and ready for the inevitable upgrade :pepper:

At least this way there is some actual data on the use pre-blower rather than people chickening out of using it. IAT2s did drop as I said before, but nothing significant.

The thing is the car was still responding to increasing the timing, but the gains were starting to slow, so we didn't want to push our luck.

I am really happy that my FP and injector duty cycles are super low for the power it made, and I can easily drop the 3.0 pulley and rock it on a street tune. Once the KC goes on, I think that's what we will do.

04svtsnke

Established Member
Great results! Thanks for posting some actual data on this subject. This reassures me when I get my car back together to still use my meth kit.

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
Awesome. I litteraly just finished wiring up my stg. 2 controler like 30 mins ago and my meth kit is ready to rock. Thats a good amount of timing and if you say you feel the car is safe then thats great news

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member

FWIW I am having a 55 gal drum of meth delivered to my house for 100 bucks. So basically for 150 bucks I have 110 gal of Torco, which only gets burned when I need it. The price of the fuel pays for the kit pretty quickly when Torco is 285 bucks for 5 gallons vs 13 bucks for 5 gallons of meth mix. So it does have some benefit IMO. So far in my driving, I am using just under a wash tank worth of meth per tank of fuel which is less than 1 gal..

T800

Established Member
Awesome. I litteraly just finished wiring up my stg. 2 controler like 30 mins ago and my meth kit is ready to rock. Thats a good amount of timing and if you say you feel the car is safe then thats great news

I don't give a rip about that...is the WHIPPLE on yet!? :-D

OP...good info.

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
I don't give a rip about that...is the WHIPPLE on yet!? :-D

OP...good info.

Hahaha... yeah its on.... kinda. I just need to button a coupme things up and finish polishing the exhaust and of course get it tuned (by somebody who know what theyre actually doing lol... unlike any of the "tuners" here). Ive been working out of town for the last two months so finding time to work on it is difficult cause I have other shit to take care of when im home... sucks

mi03cobra

Established Member
I will be getting a tune for my meth. inj. install this week. I will also post my numbers when it gets done. I am starting off @ 491/508.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
FWIW I am having a 55 gal drum of meth delivered to my house for 100 bucks. So basically for 150 bucks I have 110 gal of Torco, which only gets burned when I need it. The price of the fuel pays for the kit pretty quickly when Torco is 285 bucks for 5 gallons vs 13 bucks for 5 gallons of meth mix. So it does have some benefit IMO. So far in my driving, I am using just under a wash tank worth of meth per tank of fuel which is less than 1 gal..
You must be on the throttle A Lot?:rockon::lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread