mexican block

skatermckimm

4.6 ohc
Established Member
so just picked up a lx with a mexican block, says its a 310 mexican block, 60 over, F cam, turbonetics 70mm turbo.....question is can anyone give me some info on this "mexican block"??? also websites with info, builds excetera would be awesome. the motor is coming out to be gone through and see exactly whats it side and general check up. then back in for 12lbs, and let her ride

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
the mexican block has SLIGHTLY thicker mains(not the caps, but the cast mains). The difference is very small though. Some people have had these blocks last over 700hp but most fail at about the same level as the normal factory 302(500BHP). check out corral.net

brainpa

Established Member
The Mexican blocks have heavier mains and a thicker wall and deck. They are approx 25% stronger than a 5.0 block.

The block is almost identical to a HiPo 289, and FRPP Sportsman block.

I had one built in my 93 Cobra. Old style high port TFS, Wolverine cam, probe pistons, and one of the first Prochargers on it, as they was going through development. I chose that block as I toasted the head gaskets on the stock one, and while the heads were off I ran across a good deal on this block, which was already at my machine shop. Wasn't too much $$, and, as he said above, the reason why is that it is just a TAD bit better than the regular 302's.

However, it ran strong with 517 RWHP at 12=14 pounds of boost. It wasn't an R302 by any means, but it certainly gave me better peace of mind.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
The Mexican blocks have heavier mains and a thicker wall and deck. They are approx 25% stronger than a 5.0 block.

The block is almost identical to a HiPo 289, and FRPP Sportsman block.

I had one built in my 93 Cobra. Old style high port TFS, Wolverine cam, probe pistons, and one of the first Prochargers on it, as they was going through development. I chose that block as I toasted the head gaskets on the stock one, and while the heads were off I ran across a good deal on this block, which was already at my machine shop. Wasn't too much $$, and, as he said above, the reason why is that it is just a TAD bit better than the regular 302's.

However, it ran strong with 517 RWHP at 12=14 pounds of boost. It wasn't an R302 by any means, but it certainly gave me better peace of mind.

This, is what I was always told.

Users who are viewing this thread