MGW GT500 shifter (second generation)

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Better not 100%. Missed/grinded 2nd 2 of 6 times, whereas before pretty much every single time under WOT. I will try the Amsoil next.

Thx! That saves me a few hundred bucks! Either it's fixed or it's not. I'm not poor, but I still don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on "maybe it will, maybe it won't" remedies. But it still looks really nice. How does the gen 2 shifter feel compared to the gen 1? Is it head-and-shoulders better? Is it better enough to warrant the upgrade? Or is it about the same?

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Yeah, 20s F here. I got an early window between snow (and the salted roads, we just got 1" of rain), and I'm getting my off road H back installed. I will be going Mobil1. Cant get the Amsoil in time. Will update. I get a notch in 2nd when cold. Above cold, its like butta with the Gen 1, even on the stock oil.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Good thing about living out in the country.....on the way home I slowed down on LA 641 5 times. Put it in 1st and fighting for any semblemce of traction banged 2nd each time and continued in a 55-70 mph power slide. Guess I had to get used to the actuation of the shifter vs the POS factory offering? I will still be putting Mobil 1 as soon as I get some time. But today was 100% for shifting. Temp per the infotainment screen was 49.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
When you last commented about it you relayed that it worked well for you 4 out of 6 times. My first thought was that the inconsistency, if not somehow internal, was definitely not rooted in the new shifter. That leaves you as the variable. I didn't comment because I didn't want to influence your response. Seeing your comment today reinforces what I was thinking.

Guess I had to get used to the actuation of the shifter...

Glad you are able to enjoy the car.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
When you last commented about it you relayed that it worked well for you 4 out of 6 times. My first thought was that the inconsistency, if not somehow internal, was definitely not rooted in the new shifter. That leaves you as the variable. I didn't comment because I didn't want to influence your response. Seeing your comment today reinforces what I was thinking.

Glad you are able to enjoy the car.

I've been driving it daily to work, so I think retraining myself to shift properly vs the OEM unit has helped. It didn't even give me the scratch I used to get in my 09 when I powershifted it. Now to start putting all the other parts on.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Good thing about living out in the country.....on the way home I slowed down on LA 641 5 times. Put it in 1st and fighting for any semblemce of traction banged 2nd each time and continued in a 55-70 mph power slide. Guess I had to get used to the actuation of the shifter vs the POS factory offering? I will still be putting Mobil 1 as soon as I get some time. But today was 100% for shifting. Temp per the infotainment screen was 49.

I found an Amsoil dealer that had the ATF in stock, and in time, so I'll be able to fill it up tomorrow. I couldn't find Mobil 1 ATF. Most places carried the motor oil, but not the ATF. I thought I would have to get it shipped.

Good to hear you didn't get the grind. That stock shifter really is bad. Sure beats a complete tear down of your trans, under warranty, right? Some things just shouldn't be opened, they either are built right from the factory, or should get tossed. Unless the tech is a master, opening a gearbox just doesn't sit right with me. It never gets rebuilt like a factory assembled one, IMHO. On top of that, it wouldn't have changed anything!

What do you think about Ford's advice in telling you, "not to shift it at redline" now :lol1:

Last edited:

ShelbyLee

i don't post here much at all, normally on the Team Shelby site. I thought I'd chime in with the fact that I ran the Gen 1 for over a year and still had a few issues with it. Much better than Ford's but still missed 1-2 shifts a couple times so took it easier from then on. When MGW came out with Gen 2, I figured if the Gen 1 helped a lot, maybe the Gen 2 would finally be the fix. Well, it is! Its the one that should come with the GT500 from the factory. It now drives and shifts like the car was always meant to. If you on the fence, don't be. Order it today and install as soon as possible. Don't wait. You will not regret a minute or your car's shifting ever again.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
What do you think about Ford's advice in telling you, "not to shift it at redline" now :lol1:

Or to take a driving course. They can pound sand. The only Fords I will buy for now on will be used. Once my kids are out the house I'll pick up an 07-09 red/white stripes GT500 as a DD. License plate....Legend

99SSls1

Established Member
Amsoil gives you better results in any temp over Mobil one, noticeable results guys. Ordered it online and had it 3 days later.

I going to order the gen 2 sometime soon.

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
You guys pretty much have me convinced now, my gen1 is ok at 4 turns but 2-3 shift can be tricky at redline plus I don't like the notchyness of the shifter.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
You guys pretty much have me convinced now, my gen1 is ok at 4 turns but 2-3 shift can be tricky at redline plus I don't like the notchyness of the shifter.

Never driven a Gen1 shifted car. I can tell you whom ever executed the shifter in the 10-12 cars should be executed. What a enormous piece of shit the stock unit is.

TVS VERT

Established Member
Finished the install on the gen2 yesterday 1st thing I will say is man do I miss the 03-04 cobra days when I took 20 mins to do a shifter swap . Shifter feels amazing I elected to keep my stock shift ball to keep it stock appearing. I done the install on my lift and even had the driveshaft removed as I'm doing a shaft masters swap and it wasn't a cake walk let me tell you....if your a big dude with big hands you better take lots of breaks.....those clips are a nightmare :)

I can't imagine doing this on jack stands with the driveshaft still in place it would be brutal.
But all in all worth it well packaged very stout piece George did a great job

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I can't imagine doing this on jack stands with the driveshaft still in place it would be brutal.
But all in all worth it well packaged very stout piece George did a great job

Would the dealer install something like this? Any idea on cost?

TVS VERT

Established Member
Would the dealer install something like this? Any idea on cost?

Can't see why the wouldn't do the install for you , bank on 2-3 hrs in labour ... So I'm gonna say a couple hundred for sure.

Getting those clips out that support the arms are a pain in the ass unless you have small hands.....I done it on a lift with no driveshaft in place which made it even easier and I really didn't enjoy it. The same day I done a BMR UCA and mount and everyone complains about that job, I'd rather do 3 UCA installs than a shifter install

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Yeah I just did the trans gear oil swap, with the mid pipe out, and it was tight. I looked up there and it's tight for sure. Already have the Gen 1, but the car came with it, so I didn't have anything to do with the install. I have a great dealer, and I'd pass the Gen 2 install off to them, but not sure if they install aftermarket parts.

que4dog

Established Member
Interesting. I have the Gen1. Had a grind with the stock shifter and then changed to the Gen1 and shifted perfectly at the track on the 1st outing but I also changed the clutch when I changed the shifter. I still miss a gear from time to time so I am really thinking of upgrading to the Gen2. The Gen1 was a big improvement over the stock shifter so if the Gen2 is any better I want it.

TheGovernment

Established Member
I'm ordering a new RTX, Dynatech DS, loop and SS clutch line from billetproshop in the next few days, Sylvain is just getting the shipping price setup so I can pay. Figured I may as well do the Shifter while everythings out and change to mobil 1 or amisol. I won't be doing the work, I've got a guy I do paint work for who owns a tranny shop that will be doing it. but I have to wait for spring as it's cold as balls in Winnipeg right now lol. I've got a ford racing short throw in my 08 now, blah it's sooo notchy and hates second gear at high RPM's. It always grinds a bit and 50/50 full out rejects it over 5000 rpm, can't wait for that to go away!

Users who are viewing this thread