MGW Installed/First Impression

Boss949

Established Member
I had the MGW installed today.

Initial impressions:

1. I can tell that this shifter is and will be much better than stock.
2. I'm sure that as others have testified that there is a "break-in" period. It's real notch, but I can tell that
the 2-3 is already totally different.
3. The Stock unit was really broken-in and smooth after 4800 miles. However, under high loads, it was
completely unpredictable, which is why I upgraded to the MGW.
4. Noise level? Way more noise in the cabin. Sounds like I can hear the gears in the Tranny???
5. Noise fix should be the Rear Bracket that George is coming out with soon that is supposed to help NVH. The noise is not unbearable, but distracting for sure.

6. Speed/Power Shift? Completely different vehicle! NO comparison to stock.
7. Normal 3-2 Downshift? Difficult; have to find it and shove it down to 2nd. Is this something that changes over time? or does it need adjustment?

Last edited:

KBBoss302

Established Member
I'm having the same 3-2 downshift issue on mine (I installed it myself last weekend). George from MGW mentioned an adjustment on the shifter when I posed the question in the 'best shifter' thread. I'm going to pull my console off tomorrow or Monday and see if I can get it sorted out. I think the shifter is amazing otherwise and will be absolutely perfect once I get this issue solved.

Boss949

Established Member
Another guy on another forum suggested that it just needs to break in. When the car is warming up or at a stop light, he would slap the shifter side to side in the neutral position. Said the return springs are real tight when new, and would loosen up and now his is fine.

I read George's response and I wondered if that was for other issues. Because, my 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, etc. is just great, no issues.

Post your results if you remove console, etc.

Thanks,

Steve

KBBoss302

Established Member
I'm not sure that my issue is a break-in issue because when I have the engine off and just row the gears, I can feel a notch in between 1st and 2nd that is the notch to get over to the left for reverse. It's like the 1-2 gate is slightly too far over to the left so hopefully adjusting the bolt will allow me to move it over a bit.

But to be honest this is a total shot in the dark because I can't find anything on the MGW website about an adjustment so I am assuming it's the bolt running left-right under the shift lever and gold box. I will keep you posted!

John

KBBoss302

Established Member
I adjusted the shifter and now it seems 100% smooth. Took literally 5 mins, just take off knob, remove console, push the rubber boot down off of the gold section, loosen the 1/2" nut on the passenger side, then stick a small hex key or punch into the hole on the same bolt on the driver's side and twist maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn (until when you move the shifter between 1st and 2nd it is completely smooth with no hitch). Then tighten the 1/2" nut and reinstall everything. Easy as heck. Shifter is perfect now.

Last edited:

Boss949

Established Member
I adjusted the shifter and now it seems 100% smooth. Took literally 5 mins, just take off knob, remove console, push the rubber boot down off of the gold section, loosen the 1/2" nut on the passenger side, then stick a small hex key or punch into the hole on the same bolt on the driver's side and twist maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn (until when you move the shifter between 1st and 2nd it is completely smooth with no hitch). Then tighten the 1/2" nut and reinstall everything. Easy as heck. Shifter is perfect now.

I followed your instructions (verified by George) and its a lot better; not perfect but better. When I have more time I will loosen that pin a little more.

KBBoss302

Established Member
I'm glad I could help! It took me 2 adjustments before I was perfectly happy but once you get it to the proper position, it should feel completely smooth as you row 1st to 2nd and back to 1st with slight leftward pressure on the shift knob. The adjustment completely solved the 3-2 downshift issue for me as well. I am so, so, SO IMPRESSED with the MGW. I've installed shift kits on numerous other cars (including a Steeda on my '12 Boss) and the MGW is without peer in every regard. I don't even have the noise issue that other people mention - and I didn't even use the rubber strip across the rear mount.

Good luck!

John

Last edited:

Boss949

Established Member
I'm glad I could help! It took me 2 adjustments before I was perfectly happy but once you get it to the proper position, it should feel completely smooth as you row 1st to 2nd and back to 1st with slight leftward pressure on the shift knob. The adjustment completely solved the 3-2 downshift issue for me as well. I am so, so, SO IMPRESSED with the MGW. I've installed shift kits on numerous other cars (including a Steeda on my '12 Boss) and the MGW is without peer in every regard. I don't even have the noise issue that other people mention - and I didn't even use the rubber strip across the rear mount.

Good luck!

John

John,

1 question. I noticed that when I turned the pin, if I didn't secure the 1/2" nut, the whole assembly moved. And I had to keep the pin stable with the allen wrench until the nut was completely tight.

Is that the proper way to adjust?

Thanks.

Steve

KBBoss302

Established Member
Hey Steve - Well I didn't notice the whole assembly moving when I loosened the 1/2" nut but I only loosened it maybe 2 turns at most. And yes, I also had to stabilize the pin with the allen wrench so that I could tighten the nut back down.

LTD5.0

Established Member
I added a washer to the passenger side of the two post mount to cure a first to second gear lockout I would get at high rpm. Has worked well so far but I'm curious if the adjustment mentioned above could help?

KBBoss302

Established Member
I would definitely give it a try. I suspect your washer trick probably accomplished about the same thing but I would just be a little worried about the possible misalignment that you have created by slightly twisting the mount.

Boss949

Established Member
Further Update:

To quote DA Boss13: The MGW in my BOSS transformed the car to a quick shifting monster!

I agree completely. After a couple of adjustments on the reverse lock out; it's amazing. totally transformed the Boss.

No more miss-shifts under heavy load.

If you are thinking about replacing the OEM shifter, it would be worth your time to give George at MGW a call.

Last edited:

Boss949

Established Member
Mike,

You will be amazed. It might take some fine tuning after install as discussed above, but it unleashes more potential on the vehicle. My wife was riding with me the other day and she could tell on high rev shifts, said "it's really more exact!". Great observation from passenger seat.

DA BOSS 13

Established Member
I'm sorry you guys had trouble with your shifters, mine always was easy on 1-2 shifts as long as I kept slight pressure towards the left when shifting, same when going 3 to 2, slight pressure to the left. If I didn't exert that slight pressure, I would get the notchy 1-2 shift. I've contemplated taking the seat out of the centering spring to make the shifter just slightly lighter when pushing left to right from neutral. I'm completely used to it now though.

I absolutely hear nothing more than stock for noise, I do have the heat shield though, it might add another level of noise reduction. I also went CRAZY making sure both boots were totally seated around the shifter. I had to pull down a section of rubber on the boot with my 18" pliers beneath the car to totally seal the unit. My guess if you hear noise, somewhere it's not sealed.

Last edited:

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I'm sorry you guys had trouble with your shifters, mine always was easy on 1-2 shifts as long as I kept slight pressure towards the left when shifting, same when going 3 to 2, slight pressure to the left. If I didn't exert that slight pressure, I would get the notchy 1-2 shift. I've contemplated taking the seat out of the centering spring to make the shifter just slightly lighter when pushing left to right from neutral. I'm completely used to it now though.

I absolutely hear nothing more than stock for noise, I do have the heat shield though, it might add another level of noise reduction. I also went CRAZY making sure both boots were totally seated around the shifter. I had to pull down a section of rubber on the boot with my 18" pliers beneath the car to totally seal the unit. My guess if you hear noise, somewhere it's not sealed.

thanks for the kind words. if you have to put pressure on the shifter you definitely should make the adjustment./ you should be able to tune the location of that pin so it goes EXACTLY in the gear without any effort or thought

george

MikefromLI

Established Member
I had to swap The shifter in my previous 05 for the hurst unit was night and day I read great things about George's shifter mine shipped yesterday according to my email the boss knob will be a nice touch

MikefromLI

Established Member
be8y8uzu.jpg

Package came cant wait to get it in the car.

Users who are viewing this thread