MGW Race Spec or Blowfish and Shorthrow

Teviinz

Established Member
I am in the market for a shifter and im on the fence between the new MGW Race Spec or a Blowfish bracket and another short shifter. any opinions on which would be better would be greatly appreciated.
the car will be street driven and while going to the track probably 5-6 times a year

Thanks

86Fbody

Established Member
BF bracket incorporates a DS loop and you may be fine with just the stock shifter since it won't be moving as much, may feel shorter. However the MGW Race Spec, specifically the newest version looks very stout and is an all in one solution, though you don't get a DS loop. I can only attest for the BF bracket but I love it so that is what I would do over again if given the chance.

redline5.0

Established Member
I've only ran the mgw shifter and never thought about using anything different. I would think the race spec is even better.

Teviinz

Established Member
BF bracket incorporates a DS loop and you may be fine with just the stock shifter since it won't be moving as much, may feel shorter. However the MGW Race Spec, specifically the newest version looks very stout and is an all in one solution, though you don't get a DS loop. I can only attest for the BF bracket but I love it so that is what I would do over again if given the chance.

thanks. I would like to shorten the throw just a bet. I have the mgw on my termi and love it

Teviinz

Established Member
I've only ran the mgw shifter and never thought about using anything different. I would think the race spec is even better.

im looking into it. its cheaper than getting a short throw shifter and the blowfish bracket separate

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
BF Bracket + Short throw costs more than race spec...

Race Spec since the entire unit is built by one company rather than a mix of different parts

TrackpackGT

Established Member
So, that link is to the buy on a 15 GT. Is there a prepurchase deal for the 11-14 cars?

Teviinz

Established Member
i think you have to call mgw and place your order. does anyone know the price on the newest generation race spec

toomnymods

Established Member
I started out with gen 1 mgw had it for about a yr, I thought this was golden.. but still had some issues getting it into gear while under acceleration in a turn. Then I installed the blowfish bracket, and this cleared up about 60-75% of the notchyness and had less issues shifting but still had the annoying 1-2 nibble and grind even when warm. After the MGW racespec came out and I seen they where offering $200.00 credit for my gen 1 towards the racespec thier really wasnt much of a choice I was going for it since i knew i could sell the blowfish for $200.00 and only be outta pocket $85.00, lol The racespec is phenominal and is a engineering marvel. It makes this pos trans actually perform like it should!! Definatly won't help with the high rpm lockout problem as a new twindisk clutch and steel braided clutch line are needed for that. But shifting into any gear at an speed is fast and precise. 1-2 gear shifts much much smoother even when cold, just has a tiny nibble till you get about 5-10 miles onto the car, then its smooth as glass.. I LOVE IT!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread