MGW Race Spec or Blowfish and Shorthrow

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Ugh! I want them to ship mine already!!! Everyday I drive, I feel like I'm killing my synchros with the Barton. I just double clutch it when cold lol

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I have the Gen 2 MGW and I personally didn't find it the solution to my shifting issues. While it does work well as a short throw, it didn't fix my 2-3 high rpm shift issues. When getting into it hard, I shift HARD and FAST. I found myself still fighting the 2-3 with the MGW installed. I just installed the Blowfish bracket tonight, and I can tell you the difference was night and day. Just the action of moving through the gears at low speed gives you the feel of the old T5 or Tremec style. I didn't get to hammer really hard as it had begun to snow and the roads were slick (which is a pretty rare occurrence in the Atlanta GA area) but I did make a few hard fast shifts and it felt like slicing through hot butter. I had purchased the MGW used and wasn't willing to buy another MGW shifter after being a little disappointed in the first one. I will say the design of the new Race Spec looks like it incorporates the original design combined with the Blowfish style solid mount so it may be a great setup, I haven't driven one with it. I honestly think that just the Blowfish bracket would solve many of the woes of shifting the MT82 and it's remote shifter. I'd love to drive a stock shifter with the Blowfish bracket on it for comparison. The bracket on eBay in a blemish version is on sale for $200 (the blemish on the one I got was little more than a nick in the paint, which who cares since it is mounted under the car?!?) I got my MGW on eBay for just under $200 a few months back, though I see them selling nowadays for about $250. (which makes me wonder why anyone would trade it in for a $200 credit instead of selling it outright for closer to $300?) After feeling this bracket in action, I would have paid more for it without hesitation.

Rich D

Large Member
Established Member
So you were having common shifting issues that the Race Spec shifter was designed to cure.... You didn't buy the race spec shifter... Still having shifting issues... Now you spend more money on the blowfish bracket, on top of buying the reg mgw shifter... Now you have extra noise and vibration due to the bracket and spent just as much as the cost of a race spec. Sounds like you should have bought the Race Spec right off the bat, less hassle, and no vibration.

toomnymods

Established Member
Racespec wont fix the high rpm lockout of shifting at 7500-8k rpms
That is a clutch issue.. But does it make it a hell of a lot easier to bang gears below 7k?? Most definatly.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
So you were having common shifting issues that the Race Spec shifter was designed to cure.... You didn't buy the race spec shifter... Still having shifting issues... Now you spend more money on the blowfish bracket, on top of buying the reg mgw shifter... Now you have extra noise and vibration due to the bracket and spent just as much as the cost of a race spec. Sounds like you should have bought the Race Spec right off the bat, less hassle, and no vibration.

My only "issue" was 2-3 shift at full tilt. After calling, then emailing and getting no response from MGW, I decided it wasn't worth the money or time to buy and wait 3-4 weeks for the RaceSpec when I couldn't get a simple response to an inquiry. Instead I bought the Gen 2 MGW (which was supposedly the great fix for said "issue") for $200. It didn't change anything, still had the same problem. Now, if you bought a product that allegedly would solve your problem, and it didn't would you then turn around and buy the "new and improved" model of the same product for even more $$ from the same company? I think not, and if you say you would you're either lying or an idiot......you can pick which one as I don't know you and thus can't judge which one it would be. I then read about here, and saw on ebay an listing for the bracket, which I bought "blemished" for less than $200 and it solved my problem. I don't have any noise, and what you call vibration is nothing more than a solid mount shifter which allows you to feel the trans as you shift through gears in the exact same way the RaceSpec supposedly works (I say supposedly as I have not driven anything with that shifter and thus cannot vouch for how it feels) So I have a total invested of about $350 and a completely solved issue, and you wonder why I didn't spend almost $500 on the RaceSpec? (and I have a DS safety loop for free as well)

86Fbody

Established Member
Has anyone actually substantiated that the Race Spec has 0 vibration. With all the stiffness added I can imagine a little vibration getting into your hand, it won't kill you.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Has anyone actually substantiated that the Race Spec has 0 vibration. With all the stiffness added I can imagine a little vibration getting into your hand, it won't kill you.

I think I recall reading your posts about using the Blowfish unit. As I recall you were a big proponent, and one of the reasons that I was willing to try it was reading your posts. I don't personally see why everyone is so hellbent on the RaceSpec and so against the Blowfish bracket. The bottom line here is, if you bolt that remote shift to the trans you ARE going to feel it.....RaceSpec, Blowfish, or JoeBlows super trans fix whatever....you will feel the difference because it is bolted to it. I always thought the point of online forums was advice and experiences with products. It seems here that many people feel the need to beat the drums of the products that the admin or site support.....which is how you end up getting bad advice. I'm not saying in this case that the RaceSpec is a bad choice, but even mentioning another product or talking about how something else worked out seems to bring out the bashers who don't do anything but smack talk the product someone else suggests that doesn't go with their opinion. Hence how I ended up with the MGW to start, reading posts here that spoke so highly of it. I don't think it's all that great, and saying that I should have gotten the RaceSpec instead of the previous generations simply doesn't cut it for me as highly as everyone spoke of the earlier models. I expect that kind of attitude and smack talk on a political forum or something like that, but I've never seen it so biased in a car forum. I actively participated over on Stangnet many years ago and I never saw the extreme bias go as far as it has here. I guess the days of the friendly forum where you could get solid advice without having your posts bashed constantly died while I was absent from the Mustang community. Dam shame though.

86Fbody

Established Member
I think I recall reading your posts about using the Blowfish unit. As I recall you were a big proponent, and one of the reasons that I was willing to try it was reading your posts. I don't personally see why everyone is so hellbent on the RaceSpec and so against the Blowfish bracket. The bottom line here is, if you bolt that remote shift to the trans you ARE going to feel it.....RaceSpec, Blowfish, or JoeBlows super trans fix whatever....you will feel the difference because it is bolted to it. I always thought the point of online forums was advice and experiences with products. It seems here that many people feel the need to beat the drums of the products that the admin or site support.....which is how you end up getting bad advice. I'm not saying in this case that the RaceSpec is a bad choice, but even mentioning another product or talking about how something else worked out seems to bring out the bashers who don't do anything but smack talk the product someone else suggests that doesn't go with their opinion. Hence how I ended up with the MGW to start, reading posts here that spoke so highly of it. I don't think it's all that great, and saying that I should have gotten the RaceSpec instead of the previous generations simply doesn't cut it for me as highly as everyone spoke of the earlier models. I expect that kind of attitude and smack talk on a political forum or something like that, but I've never seen it so biased in a car forum. I actively participated over on Stangnet many years ago and I never saw the extreme bias go as far as it has here. I guess the days of the friendly forum where you could get solid advice without having your posts bashed constantly died while I was absent from the Mustang community. Dam shame though.
It's SVTP, you have to have a tough skin. I am sure the MGW is a great piece and maybe your experience is a fluke, but I was given the opportunity to beta the Blowfish and I personally know Steve. If I had the money I would buy an MGW and pair it to the BF bracket but I can't afford it and I think at this point that it would be a waste for a little return.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Yeah, I've heard the tough skin thing many times. Don't get me wrong, I can sit right here and act like the children all day, but I've grown past that age. Honestly, after having them both, I think the bracket alone with a stock shifter would have solved my issues. Steve was very polite and very straight forward, something I can appreciate in a salesman. He had absolutely nothing but positive comments about the MGW unit, and I can appreciate someone who doesn't downtalk their competition in sales even though these days most all do. At the end of the day, I'm happy with what I've got and that's all that matters to me. I appreciate the posts your had regarding the brackets, as that is what led me to my solution. Thanks

scott_0

Established Member

I've running my race spec since early January and I can 100% confirm no vibration what so ever

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I find it nearly impossible that there is "no" vibration in any unit that takes a remote, bushing mounted unit and turns it into a solid mount bolted directly on the trans.....which is directly bolted to the motor, both of which are resting on mounts designed to allow movement of the drivetrain all of which is then bolted to your shifter in the RaceSpec. There is some vibration, as there has to be required by the laws of physics. I've watched the MGW video, and it's creator says to do certain things during the install to "minimize" the vibration feel from the solid mount. (et al adding dyna mat on certain rods, parts of underbody and optionally under the shift trim. Anyone who would argue that there is none is either foolish, or doesn't understand geometrical design and engineering. I bet they have tires that make no noise either, like a ninja.....

Last edited:

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
^Chill before you stroke out.

I have the BF gen 1 bracket, and it helped a lot, but I still get nibble from time to time. I don't mind the extra vibration, so I haven't even worried about the revision upgrade. I actually prefer the more connected feel, and mine doesn't rattle or anything like some have said. I'm sure that the race spec has a similar feel. I'll probably go with the race spec eventually because I want a short throw, but the BF bracket has done a great job of correcting the OEM shifter linkage issues.

Users who are viewing this thread