MGW Race Spec or Blowfish and Shorthrow

86Fbody

Established Member
^Chill before you stroke out.

I have the BF gen 1 bracket, and it helped a lot, but I still get nibble from time to time. I don't mind the extra vibration, so I haven't even worried about the revision upgrade. I actually prefer the more connected feel, and mine doesn't rattle or anything like some have said. I'm sure that the race spec has a similar feel. I'll probably go with the race spec eventually because I want a short throw, but the BF bracket has done a great job of correcting the OEM shifter linkage issues.

I get nibble as well but only when the car is cold, so I just shift nice and slow till the trans warms up.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I find it nearly impossible that there is "no" vibration in any unit that takes a remote, bushing mounted unit and turns it into a solid mount bolted directly on the trans.....which is directly bolted to the motor, both of which are resting on mounts designed to allow movement of the drivetrain all of which is then bolted to your shifter in the RaceSpec. There is some vibration, as there has to be required by the laws of physics. I've watched the MGW video, and it's creator says to do certain things during the install to "minimize" the vibration feel from the solid mount. (et al adding dyna mat on certain rods, parts of underbody and optionally under the shift trim. Anyone who would argue that there is none is either foolish, or doesn't understand geometrical design and engineering. I bet they have tires that make no noise either, like a ninja.....

The movement the shifter has is a good thing, as it is moving directly with the transmission. Take a look at this vid:

[video=youtube;F6PZ-LOBYJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6PZ-LOBYJE[/video]

86Fbody

Established Member
The movement the shifter has is a good thing, as it is moving directly with the transmission. Take a look at this vid:

[video=youtube;F6PZ-LOBYJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6PZ-LOBYJE[/video]

I think was stang99x was getting at was that the shifter still does vibrate, not that the vibration was bad. Many people had issues with the vibration using the BF bracket, however that will happen with a solid mounted shifter.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
^Chill before you stroke out. I have the BF gen 1 bracket, and it helped a lot, but I still get nibble from time to time. I don't mind the extra vibration, so I haven't even worried about the revision upgrade. I actually prefer the more connected feel, and mine doesn't rattle or anything like some have said. I'm sure that the race spec has a similar feel. I'll probably go with the race spec eventually because I want a short throw, but the BF bracket has done a great job of correcting the OEM shifter linkage issues.

I assure you I won't stroke out behind a keyboard, however I can't guarantee you I won't stroke out the next time I see blue lights when doing something stupid behind a steering wheel. <evil grin>
It's not so much stroking out as it is that I don't understand why people feel the need to badmouth a product that works. I simply explained that I got a shifter and that I was disappointed in its performance given the positive commentary I had read before buying it. Then suddenly my ability to A) Drive a stick and B) not be a complete retard were suddenly all the conversations turned into (there were other threads on the same topic) I go to these forums, as do many others, to get the opinions of everyone who has used a product (which product made by who is irrelevant) Some people like a product, some don't. I want to read both sides so I can then make an educated choice based on my needs. If every single person that uses and posts about a product claims it's perfect, then somebody is lying. There is absolutely NOTHING made that suits everyone 100% perfect, and that goes for automotive and everything else manufactured. (otherwise we'd all drive only Fords and the other makers would go under)

Now, as you your post about wanting a short throw, I was actually spending a little time today pondering the subject of the short throw. Has anyone got any real world data that shows the difference in throw between the stock shifter and the available short throws? Per say, how much shorter(better) is a short throw than factory. I'm not debating that it isn't better, but am curious as to how much better. And then I'd be interested to know the difference between the availabe units......MGW, Barton, Shelby, Ford Racing, Steeda etc. And by the difference I'm talking about the throw, not the method by which it is mounted or who has a better bushing and bracket or whatnot. Just the actual throw. Like I see the Ford Racing unit costs a small fortune, and while I realize they are paying for the name is the throw better? worse? average. Real world data on each one and compared to the factory unit. I'm not sure the exact manner that could be used to test them, but I'm sure there is something that could provide further technical information.

As for movement of the shifter, I'm agreeing that the movement is necessary if the unit is turning into a direct mount. That being the case, it is going to feel different than the remote mount regardless of the installed shifter brand. What I mean there is, if you attach the Blowfish on an old MGW, Barton, Shelby or whatever maker or if you have a RaceSpec you are going to experience increased feel of movement or vibration....you simply have to by the simple laws of physics. It seemed that some people were slamming the bracket for the very thing they were praising the RaceSpec for....the solid mount and the increased "NVH" as I see posted so often. Sometimes it seems like I'm reading politics instead of muscle car forums with people taking a firm stance against X, then in the same post praising Y (assuming that X and Y are different manufacturers of items designed to solve the same issue but use a different method) It's all relatively moot at this point, seeing as I have done what I needed to solve my issues and am very happy with the results. I only "debate" the issue here so that in the future, those who come in search of solid information and feedback on these very items can get an actual end user opinion as to what worked, what failed, and what produced results that were mediocre. This is what brought me to the SVT forums to begin with, wanting to find a shifter that would work for me for what I needed to improve in the engineering of the drive line components.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
To clarify my situation, when I say I want a "short throw" I mean I want a short throw shifter, but not necessarily for the short throw. I actually want a different shifter than stock so that the gear changes feel more positive and precise. Even with the BF bracket and WL trans bushing, the stock shifter itself still feels a little vague. I can manage with it, I'd just prefer something that feels more sure going into gear.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
To clarify my situation, when I say I want a "short throw" I mean I want a short throw shifter, but not necessarily for the short throw. I actually want a different shifter than stock so that the gear changes feel more positive and precise. Even with the BF bracket and WL trans bushing, the stock shifter itself still feels a little vague. I can manage with it, I'd just prefer something that feels more sure going into gear.

No problem, after reading your post I was reminded of my earlier thought about the technical info of the shifter, and just happened to use that response as a reason to post my thoughts on the issue. I used to have that same feeling back in the day on the T5, the stock unit felt long and bendy, like I was gonna break the dam thing. Back then all the short throws were about the same, like the Pro5.0 and the TriAx etc. I used several and found no noticeable difference at the time, but I ended up using the pro5.0 version and loved it.

SS lol

Established Member
Blowfish racing bracket

Here is my experience with my 2013 Mustang GT, started out with the barton short throw shifter with stock bracket and it shortened my throw but did nothing for second to third miss shift then installed whiteline bushing and second to third was a lot better but first to second nibble was still there, just recently installed blowfish bracket and nibble is gone. Im shifting gears at 7000 rpm without one problem now. If you care about your transmission get the bracket ASAP!

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Here is my experience with my 2013 Mustang GT, started out with the barton short throw shifter with stock bracket and it shortened my throw but did nothing for second to third miss shift then installed whiteline bushing and second to third was a lot better but first to second nibble was still there, just recently installed blowfish bracket and nibble is gone. Im shifting gears at 7000 rpm without one problem now. If you care about your transmission get the bracket ASAP!

Awesome. Same experience I had. Now prepare to be called crazy, stupid and/or ignorant for not buying a RaceSpec shifter.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
The way I slam gears now I have no reason to buy anything else, period case closed.

I agree 100%. I had the very same issue, and I have the gen 2 MGW shifter that supposedly alleviated said problem. I was to say the least, unimpressed with MGW. That Bracket was is the simplest most economical solution to the problem. I haven't missed a shift since installing it.

SS lol

Established Member
I agree 100%. I had the very same issue, and I have the gen 2 MGW shifter that supposedly alleviated said problem. I was to say the least, unimpressed with MGW. That Bracket was is the simplest most economical solution to the problem. I haven't missed a shift since installing it.

I haven't missed a gear or have a nibble since installing it, I should have bought this thing long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread