MGW Shifter Handle: Telescopic Handle Retaining Screws

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
[As posted @ MF...]

The retention screws which bite down on the telescopic steel handle come loose with hard shifting, even after repeated applications of Loctite Tite’N for Bolts. This is the second time the screws have backed out. The problem is the play the telescopic shaft receives while housed in the aluminum handle. An application of epoxy or cold weld compound may be in order...

Pyro

Established Member
Thanks for the heads up. I just installed mine the other day. Looks identical to yours. Is that a Pro 5.0?

I always use Shoo Goo instead of Loc Tite and it always works. That stuff turns into steel-like rubber.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Are the set screws actually vibrating loose, or is the shaft simply rotaing under the screws? You may have better luck with counter-sinking the set screws rather than applying a Loc Tite if it's rotating under the screws. Once I determined where I wanted mine, I counter-sunk the screws and have not had any problems......yet. ;-)

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Which Loc-Tite are you using, and did you apply the degreaser/primer first? There are various grades of Loc-Tite. In extreme cases I use Stud and Bearing which REALLY holds. Also, is your Loc-Tite fresh?

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by mswaim
Are the set screws actually vibrating loose, or is the shaft simply rotaing under the screws? You may have better luck with counter-sinking the set screws rather than applying a Loc Tite if it's rotating under the screws. Once I determined where I wanted mine, I counter-sunk the screws and have not had any problems......yet. ;-)

Good idea. :thumbsup:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> Pyro: Is that a Pro 5.0?

Indeed it is.

> mswaim: Are the set screws actually vibrating loose, or is the shaft simply rotating under the screws?

The screws are vibrating loose. I will fully countersink the screws this time around...

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Mine kept working loose too.
Fixed it for good...took it out and re-intalled the stock handle that a friend bent for me.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I wondered about that myself when I installed mine, so I hunkered down pretty hard on the install. After a few thousand miles, and some pretty rough adrenaline shifts :)thumbsup: ) it is still tight and in place. But, I still think about that darn screw from time to time worrying when it will loosen up...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I haven't had any problems with mine, either, but then again I shift like Uncle Meat. Must be my age! :)

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
I just last night had to pull the booth up and tighten the allen head bolts on my Pro 5.0 shifter since they became loose from the vibration. Just as I was replying to this thread I received an email from Pro 5.0. Considered sending them an email and will send them a technical support question on the bolts loosing up and what they recommend to prevent it

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
MGW Handle

I've got 200 Mi so far on mine,no problems yet,I have the Kirban shifter,very precise,MGW handle.I also added an original Hurst T handle,works good. Do you have two set screws or only one?I got mine a few weeks ago and it has 2.I didn't use loctite,but I did pull the set screws down good and tight twice.BTW anybody going to the Swap meet at Maple Grove this weekend?
Guy

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
This may be a two-pronged problem. If my memory is correct, on the Pro 5.0 unit I had a few years ago, the handle bolted directly to the mechanism without a rubber spacer of any kind. On the Tri-Ax I have now, I used the two thin washers between the MGW handle and the mechanism. I think the handle sees a bit less vibration in the latter install. I also think the more you kick the upper piece towards the driver, the more stress it receives as you pull/push it straight and to the right. I may be wrong, but in my mind the further you turn the upper handle off-center, the more it wants to rotate, rather than move the mechanism. In either case, a little counter-sinking of the screws should solve the problem.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I just installed mine and that's good to know. I'll keep an eye on it for the first couple thousand miles. I just installed my Steeda CAI also. Man, does it make a difference.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Got my knob and handle to go along with my Kirban shifter today. Thanks for the headsup, I'll be sure to watch for any of these issues once I get it installed.

Users who are viewing this thread