MGW Shifter Installed no more 1-2 grind!!!

BAD03SVT

Established Member
After the MGW install on my 2011 GT500 I have absolutely no 1-2 grind. I can slam 1-2 with no hesitation needed to avoid the grind like before. It's like a completely new car.

For what it's worth during the install you can set the turns on the base of the shifter to adjust shift distance etc. The instructions say 3-6 turns is recommended and not to exceed 10 turns. I did 4 and like I said no more grind!!!!!

Transmission Fluid used Royal Purple

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
After the MGW install on my 2011 GT500 I have absolutely no 1-2 grind. I can slam 1-2 with no hesitation needed to avoid the grind like before. It's like a completely new car.

For what it's worth during the install you can set the turns on the base of the shifter to adjust shift distance etc. The instructions say 3-6 turns is recommended and not to exceed 10 turns. I did 4 and like I said no more grind!!!!!
As one of the 2013 owners experiencing similar 1-2 grind issues, I'm planning install of an MGW Shifter and SS brake/clutch lines in a few weeks, so I am thrilled to read your report. Thanks for posting!

ThomasL

Established Member
If i go with an aftermarket shifter, can i still use my Shelby shift ball?

cdh027

Established Member
Yes. I believe you need to order the MGW with the stock size threads on the shifter handle. There are 2 options for threads.

paluka21

Established Member
I may look into this as well. 5/10 times I get locked out of 2nd gear when I take 1st to 5500+rpm, and it gets real old! I'm wondering whether a new shifter will really remedy this? If so, I'm all for it.

BAD03SVT

Established Member
I may look into this as well. 5/10 times I get locked out of 2nd gear when I take 1st to 5500+rpm, and it gets real old! I'm wondering whether a new shifter will really remedy this? If so, I'm all for it.

I wish I could force all the guys with grind to change this out. Once you see the factory shifter components next to the MGW it's a no brainer why it makes such a big difference. The metal arms that run back towards the transmission that I'd call braces. The factory ones are pretty much hollow thin metal. The MGW are thick and sturdy. That alone may be the cure, but the rest is just as impressive.

For additional clarification. The fluid was royal purple before the swap and I used the street bushing, not the track version that also comes with it.

paluka21

Established Member
I wish I could force all the guys with grind to change this out. Once you see the factory shifter components next to the MGW it's a no brainer why it makes such a big difference. The metal arms that run back towards the transmission that I'd call braces. The factory ones are pretty much hollow thin metal. The MGW are thick and sturdy. That alone may be the cure, but the rest is just as impressive.

For additional clarification. The fluid was royal purple before the swap and I used the street bushing, not the track version that also comes with it.

I've read that the 2nd gear lockout could be caused by parts of the shifter flexing under WOT throttle conditions. I'm going to need to test this more, as I'm only shifting at 5500rpm max when this happens, although when I shift, I tend to be a bit aggressive and fast with my shifts, so perhaps I'll try "granny" shifting until I end up determining which route to go.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member

Transmission Fluid used Royal Purple

Yep. I did this on my 11 and BOOM...no more grind. I been saying it for a bit now. I also agree when you compare the two, MGW vs Stock.....you wonder why Ford put that in our car...at least i did...regardless if its a combo of parts or something else, this made my issue go away.

paluka21

Established Member
I have an MGW in my 14 and can say that mine still grinds occasionally on the 1-2 but more so on the 2-3 shift when at higher RPM and being agressive. It's nearly every time on the 2-3 and about 30% on the 1-2 shift.

That's what I'm afraid of, that I replace the shifter and it still locks me out of 2nd. I'm certain it's not the way I'm shifting or driving the car, as I'm not new to manual cars. Isn't the transmission -and- shifter different in the 13-14's, than the 11-12 model years?

BAD03SVT

Established Member
I have an MGW in my 14 and can say that mine still grinds occasionally on the 1-2 but more so on the 2-3 shift when at higher RPM and being agressive. It's nearly every time on the 2-3 and about 30% on the 1-2 shift.

I've seen some people still have minor issues after the MGW. I wonder if it has to do with the amounts of turn was made on the underside adjustment. Like I said I did 4 turns bc MGW recommends 3-6. I drove the to shop experienced grind changed only the shifter out and BOOm no more grind.

Could also depend on how long you waited to change the shifter. I just bought my 2011 in February and it had the grind issues I had my local dealership go completely through the transmission and make all repairs needed. When it still ground after the fact that's when I decided to change shifter. the transmission didn't have a lot of grinds on it (wear) before installing the MGW because it had just been overhauled. Now is like buttah

supraman1990

Established Member
That's what I'm afraid of, that I replace the shifter and it still locks me out of 2nd. I'm certain it's not the way I'm shifting or driving the car, as I'm not new to manual cars. Isn't the transmission -and- shifter different in the 13-14's, than the 11-12 model years?

Yes, the 6060 was updated for 13 and the shifter was changed as well. The shifter HELPED my issue, but it didn't completely stop it. The trans does go in gear when it does the grind, it just doesn't sound pretty.

BAD03SVT

Established Member

Me too brother, but after it was rebuilt and still did it. My options were shifter or replace all of clutch components to find a fix. Shifter is easier and less money so started there and cured my problem. Mine would do the hard lock out before shifting 1-2. The rest of the gears were fine. I'd imagine the 13-14 cars would have more of a problem in later gears because of having more power. I'm not soliciting sales for MGW; however just offering my experience in an effort that it may cure someone else's problems. As I am also not new to manuals. I've had 8 different mustangs all manual from T5s Foxes to T56 Terminator to the TR6060 GT500.ive logged 1000d of track hours. This was the first time experiencing anything like this. Also the first time drivingn a mustang with this power level where the shifter was remote mounted. I had a 13 5.0 and didn't have issues but that car didn't have the torque levels stressing out the remote mount setup.

I'm just glad I went out on the limb because Driving my car is so much more fun being able to slam 1-2. Also don't have to worry about being hole shot planning to granny shift the 1-2.

paluka21

Established Member
So you went with an MGW shifter and it cured the 1-2 shift lock-out? Unless other owners cars are different than my '14, I'm honestly surprised we don't hear more about this issue.
If this is the cure, then the modifications list looks like:
MGW ( or comparable ) shifter
Moser axles
Drag Radials
then clutch if the darn thing gives out

BAD03SVT

Established Member
So you went with an MGW shifter and it cured the 1-2 shift lock-out? Unless other owners cars are different than my '14, I'm honestly surprised we don't hear more about this issue.
If this is the cure, then the modifications list looks like:
MGW ( or comparable ) shifter
Moser axles
Drag Radials
then clutch if the darn thing gives out

Yessir

railroad

Established Member
WhiteLine makes an improved bushing for the GT cars. It is supposed to reduce the amount of deflection between the body mounted shifter and the transmission. It is advertised to reduce misalignment when the engine/trans is in a torqued over position.
They may have this for the GT500, but I have not checked. There is an article on the product and installation in the latest issue of 5.0

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Yes. I believe you need to order the MGW with the stock size threads on the shifter handle. There are 2 options for threads.
+1. According to MGW, "If you are using the white and black striped ball that comes in 2010-2013 GT500, then you will want to choose the 10 MM x 1.25 thread handle option."

This mirrors my experience, and is the reason I plan the MGW and SS clutch line upgrades.

This is exactly opposite my experience. 1st-2nd is a crap-shoot for me when running at/near WOT and shifting aggressively. I can consistently slam 3rd even under those conditions. In fact, I've never missed or experienced any grind with a 2nd-3rd shift.

Unless other owners cars are different than my '14, I'm honestly surprised we don't hear more about this issue.
There have been other reports of this problem with 2013/2014 MYs, but they're not as common as with 2010-2012 MYs.

Users who are viewing this thread