MGW shifter installed (Pics)

trey193

Established Member
A Looks damn good I have been happy as can be with my MGW handle, it works !!! Ever get the 2.76 and Predator?? I know JIM was hoping you would be out last night so you guys could go to waterworks. He said it ended up being dead out. We gotta all get together, if the weather is good you should hit BG with me and Jim and Jay this coming Sat. and put that new MGW to the test!!:beer:

MG01SVT

citius, fortius
Established Member
Hey Trey, I got the predator, just waitin on James to finish my tune. He's has been off for a few days, but I should definitely have it by this saturday. If you guys are going to BG, count me in. Once I get the tune, I'll get it dyno'd and be set for BG. Give me the details on when you guys are leavin.

Jim was stalkin me huh. I'll be ready next time. :-D

You need to checkout the shifter next time we meet up. It might just change your mind. The throws are so short. Perfect for a powershifter!

later

A

trey193

Established Member
If the weather continues good as they say, high of 56 and sunny then we will leave just after 11am on Sat., since the year is winding down with only 3 weekends left they are running from 12-5 now which is a good thing, with that kind of air our cars should run well!!!

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
On the MGW shifter:

I have the Pro 5.0 installed with a Kona Racing titanium handle. The handle is slightly shorter than the Tri-Ax handle. I do not like the MGW handle because it does not sit straight up. The new MGW shifter fixes this. On to the review.

The Pro 5.0 has a much "looser" feel. 1-2-3-4 is automatic, but the 4-5 shift, you have to pull the shifter over a bit with some effort and push UP.

The MGW shifter is the following:

Pros: More adjustable shifting positions, no shifter noise, shorter distance between shifts by about .5 inches (a guess by feel), and the 4-5 shift seems spring loaded as well, so pushing up with little "pull" effort like stock and Pro 5.0, it goes right into 5th gear.

Cons: Stiffness, shifter effort. The Pro 5.0 is loose, so it lets noise through. I think this is how MGW got around the noise - made it TANK solid, but the trade-off is a VERY stiff mechanism. There is almost zero slop, but you have to use some muscle to make it go into a gear.

The feel is unique. I don't know how to explain it, but it does not feel like the Pro 5.0 or stock shifter. I personally enjoy how the Pro 5.0 gives more "feedback" and you can feel the gears, even though it's a little loose, which I think might be a personal preference. The shorter throw makes a difference, because I found myself shifting faster than I could get the clutch in and out, maybe it needs a quick-release quadrant.

Will I upgrade? Time will tell, it will be interesting to see how it feels after months of break-in if they do break in. My Pro 5.0 needed a break-in period to loosen up. If the MGW shifter loosenes up over time, then there is a good chance I will switch.

Mike

Last edited:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
ChicagoMike I believe George from MGW mentioned something about a 500 mile break in period. I would assume after that it becomes much looser.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Originally posted by ChicagoMike
On the MGW shifter:

I have the Pro 5.0 installed with a Kona Racing titanium handle. The handle is slightly shorter than the Tri-Ax handle. I do not like the MGW handle because it does not sit straight up. The new MGW shifter fixes this. On to the review.

The Pro 5.0 has a much "looser" feel. 1-2-3-4 is automatic, but the 4-5 shift, you have to pull the shifter over a bit with some effort and push UP.

The MGW shifter is the following:

Pros: More adjustable shifting positions, no shifter noise, shorter distance between shifts by about .5 inches (a guess by feel), and the 4-5 shift seems spring loaded as well, so pushing up with little "pull" effort like stock and Pro 5.0, it goes right into 5th gear.

Cons: Stiffness, shifter effort. The Pro 5.0 is loose, so it lets noise through. I think this is how MGW got around the noise - made it TANK solid, but the trade-off is a VERY stiff mechanism. There is almost zero slop, but you have to use some muscle to make it go into a gear.

The feel is unique. I don't know how to explain it, but it does not feel like the Pro 5.0 or stock shifter. I personally enjoy how the Pro 5.0 gives more "feedback" and you can feel the gears, even though it's a little loose, which I think might be a personal preference. The shorter throw makes a difference, because I found myself shifting faster than I could get the clutch in and out, maybe it needs a quick-release quadrant.

Will I upgrade? Time will tell, it will be interesting to see how it feels after months of break-in if they do break in. My Pro 5.0 needed a break-in period to loosen up. If the MGW shifter loosenes up over time, then there is a good chance I will switch.

Mike

this is a very good revierw of the shifter and basically spot on. i would add the following..

the shifter will loosen up a bit over time but will never get sloppy so it may not be what you are looking for.

the main reason that the shifter is tighter and stiffer is that it is shorter throw than anythiong out there. it is designed to be the best competition shifter on the market. we cannot however overcome the laws of physics and when we shorten the throw we also reduce the mechanical leverage because we are moving the pivot or fulcrum up on the shifter. to compensate for this in daily driving you should switch to the red "CRUISER" handle. it makes the throws a bit longer but also gives much more leverage and makes the shifter not feel as stiff. if you get a chance to try it again maybe you can ask the owner to swap the handles to see.

regards
george

Last edited:

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Received mine Monday so after work my son and I installed. Took our time but still only took 1 hr. Used RTV vs. gasket as George suggested and hardest part of install was setting the stops. Since my car is my toy for nice days and shows I first tried the red handle at 7 O'clock but after a test drive it just didn't feel right. Put the blue handle on at the same angle and bingo-----perfect. Shifts are much shorter and precise. Just as quiet as the stock shifter but is tighter and not clunky. Great product!!!! Now to adjust the clutch to compensate for the quicker shifts. LOL

Jpjr

Established Member
Originally posted by anvrsy red vert
Received mine Monday so after work my son and I installed. Took our time but still only took 1 hr. Used RTV vs. gasket as George suggested and hardest part of install was setting the stops. Since my car is my toy for nice days and shows I first tried the red handle at 7 O'clock but after a test drive it just didn't feel right. Put the blue handle on at the same angle and bingo-----perfect. Shifts are much shorter and precise. Just as quiet as the stock shifter but is tighter and not clunky. Great product!!!! Now to adjust the clutch to compensate for the quicker shifts. LOL

by 'adjusting' the clutch do you mean that you are lowering the pedal to reduce the travel, or adjusting the point where the clutch engages?

and could you recommend a list of supplies in advance (rtv?) that we will need to do the install?

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Originally posted by Jpjr
by 'adjusting' the clutch do you mean that you are lowering the pedal to reduce the travel, or adjusting the point where the clutch engages?

and could you recommend a list of supplies in advance (rtv?) that we will need to do the install?
Besides the tools all you need is a tube of Permatex Ultra Black Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, part #598B. That's what I used vs. the gasket. I'll probably tweek the adjustment for the clutch to engage a little closer to the floor to reduce pedal travel. Just makes it feel more comfortable to me. my 2 cnts

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by MGW
this is a very good revierw of the shifter and basically spot on. i would add the following..

the shifter will loosen up a bit over time but will never get sloppy so it may not be what you are looking for.

the main reason that the shifter is tighter and stiffer is that it is shorter throw than anythiong out there. it is designed to be the best competition shifter on the market. we cannot however overcome the laws of physics and when we shorten the throw we also reduce the mechanical leverage because we are moving the pivot or fulcrum up on the shifter. to compensate for this in daily driving you should switch to the red "CRUISER" handle. it makes the throws a bit longer but also gives much more leverage and makes the shifter not feel as stiff. if you get a chance to try it again maybe you can ask the owner to swap the handles to see.

regards
george

George, I've got a question for you.

The only thing even resembling a critique of your new shifter came from someone I was just mentioning your new shifter to. Neither he, nor I have seen it in person or used it, so we were speaking out of ignorance.

That being said, he was curious whether or not your shifter appropriately places the transmission in gear. He basically wanted to know if the shorter throws are preventing the transmission from going all the way into gear or not. I know absolutely nothing about transmissions, so I said that I have no clue, so I figured I'd ask you. I was going to post over on FordPower.net, but I figured I'd ask here since you're newly registered member :thumbsup:

So basically, does your shifter still maintain all the necessary physical and geometrical requirements that allow the transmission to be properly in gear?

Thanks in advance, George! :beer:

BTW, I still intend to buy one as soon as I get the $$$ all gathered up. Saving for a wedding stinks! :cryying:

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Originally posted by Blk03SVTCobra

George, I've got a question for you.

The only thing even resembling a critique of your new shifter came from someone I was just mentioning your new shifter to. Neither he, nor I have seen it in person or used it, so we were speaking out of ignorance.

That being said, he was curious whether or not your shifter appropriately places the transmission in gear. He basically wanted to know if the shorter throws are preventing the transmission from going all the way into gear or not. I know absolutely nothing about transmissions, so I said that I have no clue, so I figured I'd ask you. I was going to post over on FordPower.net, but I figured I'd ask here since you're newly registered member :thumbsup:

So basically, does your shifter still maintain all the necessary physical and geometrical requirements that allow the transmission to be properly in gear?

Thanks in advance, George! :beer:

BTW, I still intend to buy one as soon as I get the $$$ all gathered up. Saving for a wedding stinks! :cryying:

in a nutshell the answer is absolutely !!!

we are shortening the throw of the shifter by moving the two pivot balls away on the bottom. by doing this it makes them move more distance than the top of the shifter thus a shorter throw. it still puts the car in gear just like any other shifter it just moves the fulcrum or pivot point. the only way it would not achieve this is if the shaft hit the side walls or bottomed out the load springs prior to moving enough to engage a gear gate. obviousaly we know this is not the case in our shifter becuase we have verified the amount of pivot in every gear when designing the shifter.

i think you guys may be getting a little too worried about this shifter due to the fact that it does what other companies have not been able to do for years now. the real reason is i think that they never tried :-D

i could have made a shifter exactly like what is out there on the market for about 125.00 and sold them like hotcakes. but i really have no desire to make something that in my mind has no real merit or distinguishing features.

you guys may find this hard to believe but i actually enjoy making innovative products and i am not driven by cost profit or marketing. we make plenty of income in our defense manufacturing . :beer:

regards
george

Last edited:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by MGW
in a nutshell the answer is absolutely !!!

we are shortening the throw of the shifter by moving the two pivot balls away on the bottom. by doing this it makes them move more distance than the top of the shifter thus a shorter throw. it still puts the car in gear just like any other shifter it just moves the fulcrum or pivot point. the only way it would not achieve this is if the shaft hit the side walls or bottomed out the load springs prior to moving enough to engage a gear gate. obviousaly we know this is not the case in our shifter becuase we have verified the amount of pivot in every gear when designing the shifter.

i think you guys may be getting a little too worried about this shifter due to the fact that it does what other companies have not been able to do for years now. the real reason is i think that they never tried :-D

i could have made a shifter exactly like what is out there on the market for about 125.00 and sold them like hotcakes. but i really have no desire to make something that in my mind has no real merit or distinguishing features.

you guys may find this hard to believe but i actually enjoy making innovative products and i am not driven by cost profit or marketing. we make plenty of income in our defense manufacturing . :beer:

regards
george

Just like before I read this thread....

SOLD!!! .....as soon as I get the $$ :-D

Thanks a bunch for answering my question George! :thumbsup:

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Originally posted by 03silverdrop
MGW I have PM'd you!!!!!

sorry but i do not have PM 's activated as i always forget to check them. please email me at [email protected] or call me anytime

regards
george
706-793-1770

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Originally posted by 03ShadowCobra
Where can I get one???

call us at 706-793-1770 to order. we should have a webpage up soon.

regards
george

dougwg

Established Member
Nice stuff!

unauthorized pic from MGW
SHIFTERORDER.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread