MGW shifter installed (Pics)

MG01SVT

citius, fortius
Established Member
First off, this thing is built like a tank. I thought a Pro 5.0 was built tough. Well not anymore. I love it. Shifts are very clean and precise. MGW's quality is incredible. I think what left the greatest impression on me was the fact that they take the time to write instuctions that actually WORK! Detailed info with photos and warnings. I have installed probably 6 or 7 shifters before this one and none had anything near the level of detail in their guides. Things like that go a long way with me.

Now I will say this. It was the most difficult shifter I have installed and that is not to say that it is really that hard to do or a slam on the shifter. If you guys are anal about stop bolts like I am then you will have a party with this one, but I have a tip to save you all alot of time. Use a mirror with the flashlight they recommend and the stops are much easier to set correctly. It was very difficult to weasal (SP?) may way around the steering wheel to get a clean look at the stop bolts. I then wised up and used a mirror and it was butter from then on. I put the short handle on mine and it is perfect for my reach.

Here are the pics.

BTW, Damn nice work MGW!

Let me know If anyone has any Q's.

Aaron

mgw_shifter.jpg

mgw_shifter_2.jpg

Here is the mirror I used:
mgw_mirror.jpg
mgw_shifter_4.jpg

With boot:

mgw_shifter_w_boot.jpg

mgw_shifter_w_boot_2.jpg

Last edited:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
HOw does it shift! Any pics with the shift boot on? IM curious to see how it sits with it.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Thanks for the pics.:beer:

Let us know how it feels after you take a test ride. How's the 2nd-3rd shift spring centering feel? Is it easy to find the gears? Is the handle far enough back to avoid hitting the radio?

KDog

Established Member
length - shorter for high-speed applications ;-) or longer for everyday ergo-friendly driving.

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
i like this thing! for the first time since i bought my cobra im thinking about changing the shifter

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
Thanks for the pics.:beer:

Let us know how it feels after you take a test ride. How's the 2nd-3rd shift spring centering feel? Is it easy to find the gears? Is the handle far enough back to avoid hitting the radio?

I'm with him ^

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice Aaron! I like it. Hey, what that red stuff I see in the center section (first two photos)?

MG01SVT

citius, fortius
Established Member
CobraBob, Some sort of lube? Looks kinda like poptart filling.

A

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
I think it looks like a mules rear while in the shift boot, but the over all quality looks great..

Last edited:

~B7~

Established Member
My biggest concern is being able to actually reach the shifter. I had a tri-ax, but sold it. I was planning on a Pro 5.0 this time. But this is now better then both of them combined? If I use the red handle just how much reach am I going to lose?

Litespeed

CYAH
Established Member
I agree on the "tank" comment. I just got mine yesterday and this thing is solid. The throws are nice and short (upgraded from stock shifter/with MGW handle) and a friend who has the 5.0 says they're shorter than his shifter. The install was a piece of cake, but my stock shifter came off easy and 99% of gasket came with it. The instructions were EXCELLENT. I used CobraBob's gasket which worked out nicely :thumbsup:

Intially the shifter seemed a little tight, but felt very solid. The resistance going into the gates was consistent and not unpredictable like my previous setup. The slop and the "whir" of the stock shifter are gone. After a day of driving, it's easier to shift now and I'm very pleased with it. I'm using the blue handle angled towards me and the feeling of having to reach for the shifter is gone. Because I have it angled, the red handle would have been too close for me.

It's been raining lately and I haven't gotten a chance to powershift it yet. But the spring mechanism is very strong and 2nd to 3rd goes in smoothly and 4th to 5th glides right in too. If you still have the stock shifter, I highly recommend this one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread