MGW Shifter Question

jshen

Established Member
Just got my shifter handle and positioned it the way I want. Is there a way to adjust/lock stock knob to original position where shift pattern faces you? Or I am I stuck buying their gripper knob. I know stupid question...Thanks

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I just twisted mine on the MHW handle, it got snug but was upside down so I just kept tightening it until it was right side up.

Cobra'03

Established Member
I have the MGW, and as I recall from many months ago, you can turn the threaded adjustable height part of the MGW if you loosen the set screw. Why not tighten the knob where you want it, and then mark a spot on the threaded stud 180 degrees opposite, and then rotate it so you end up with everything nice and straight? Or did i forget something? (Old age setting in?)

jshen

Established Member
Rotation

I can rotate steel rod...but there's bend in it that when rotated...puts the darn handle in the same or worse reach as stock..even with rod fully extended. I was thinking of finding a washer and nut and mount the washer nut under the knob and when I get knob in right location and fairly tight...screw the nut up to finish tighening the knob..........Does that sound ...feasible/ senseable?:shrug:

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
I think that all you have to do is tighten the knob until it's correctly oriented.

The MGW shaft has a bend in it, so you must select its position first.

cobra23

Established Member
Easy Fix

1. Get blue locktite and apply to shifter threads

2. Orient the shift knob the way you want

3. Let Dry.

4. Burn Rubber

PS. The shift knob won't move with blue locktite applied

jshen

Established Member
Locktite......Hmmm

Definitely using it on the set screws (there are two on my unit- one on each side), as I noticed the "warning" to make sure everything's tight. Right now I have it together...it's comfy..and I have to take the knob off...lockite everything and put boot on....Or I just may drink a beer or two and think about it.. :beer:

bosscobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
I just twisted mine on the MHW handle, it got snug but was upside down so I just kept tightening it until it was right side up.
yea same here, my MGW handle is bolted to the pro5.0, and with the stock knob only I know the difference. Just keep twisting that knob:thumbsup:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I find that the knob is acceptably tight on the MGW shaft within a good 360 degree span of rotation. You don't have to screw it in all the way.

I don't like the stock knob so much with the MGW handle tilted back for a closer reach, as it tilts back, putting the sharp back edge with stitching in your palm when you pull back (2nd, 4th). Am thinking of a round knob to alleviate this, but all I have seen without use of an adapter, are billet and get real hot, except for the MGW gripper, which is rubber coated, which doesn't seem so comfortable to me. Anyone else know of a roundish leather coated knob?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Petzuk
I think that all you have to do is tighten the knob until it's correctly oriented.
That's what I did with mine. I had it close to begin with and had to twist it pretty hard to get the last couple of degrees where it was perfect.

Litespeed

CYAH
Established Member
For mine, stock knob with MGW handle, if I start the knob with the shift pattern upside down, it ends up being perfect when fully tightened, so try experimenting with your starting position.

Users who are viewing this thread