MGW shifter saved me $10,000!!!!

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
For the past week I had been noticing small oil spots in the driveway. I didn't think much of it as I've been swamped at work lately and have had alot on my mind (work, first kid on the way, building a room in the attic, etc. etc.)

George (MGW) called and wanted me to drop by Friday to try some new stuff out on the shifter (still trying to mess with perfection :-D ) so I swung by after work.

After I had driven into the shop, I noticed a small trail of oil drops on the floor. :eek: I asked him if it was mine and he stated a guy with a Harley had pulled into the shop and probably dripped. The oil was cold btw. Eased my mind. After we tried some small changes, as I was backing out and George yelled for me to meet out by his '05 GT to look at something else. I get outside and he comes running out yelling to kill the engine. :shrug:

I kill the engine and he tells me there was a pool of oil under the car in the shop. I call BS as we are always messing with each other. I pop the hood and there is oil all over the drivers side of the compartment. :eek: We get the car back into his shop, push the Lotus Elise off the lift and put mine up in the air. Turns out I had a small pin hole leak in the oil filter. :eek:

We lower the car to check the oil. Diptick is bone dry. Uh oh. Add a quart, still dry. Add a quart, still dry. Add ANOTHER quart, it's STILL dry. I'm thinking "Oh Sheit, WTF have I done to the engine" at this time. Start adding another quart and it starts to read. It's a 20 mile ride home. I figure I can chance it or make multiple stops to keeps checking/adding oil. I chose the later. If George hadn't been leaving for the beach, I would have just left my car there. I wasn't even about to stop by a Jiffy Lube or such on the way home even under these conditions. :nono:

I added three and a half quarts before I left (all the oil we could find). Drove ~5 miles and stopped a gas station to pick up a couple more quarts. Added one quart to over fill it. After another 10 miles, I topped it back off with another half a quart and made it home.

Thank GOD I went to see George about the shifter or I could be looking at a complete rebuild from a seized engine. So thats how the MGW shifter saved me money. :lol1:

:bash: <- me for not taking the time to investigate before hand.

BTW, I will never doubt Mobil 1 ever again.

Last edited:

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
Wow. Glad to hear you caught it before any real damage was done. Could not tell there was a problem before that? Car running hot, loss in power, noises, nothing? :shrug: Seems that low on oil there should have been some other symptoms.

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
DR. WU 2000 said:
Wow. Glad to hear you caught it before any real damage was done. Could not tell there was a problem before that? Car running hot, loss in power, noises, nothing? :shrug: Seems that low on oil there should have been some other symptoms.

None, I watch my guages religously while I'm driving. Temperature was spot on and oil pressure ws nice and high. Luckly, I never hammered it. :nono:

ta2d1

---->HI
Established Member
do you have an oil pressure gauge or just the stock one? I'm thinking of getting the autometer gauge but courious if it would have alerted to low oil levels.

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
I've got Nordskog digital guages. I do all the mechanical work possible on all my vehicles. It had been 4100miles since my last oil change, I do them in 5000 mile intervals. I either had a rock kick up or ran over something, but I can't recall hitting anything.

BTW, the pinhole was near the TOP of the oil filter. :??:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Please don't tell us it's a Fram. JK! I'm sure you wouldn't do that. Seriously, you were probably minutes away from a disaster. Imagine if you were on the highway when the oil all but drained out? Not pretty!

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
just curious as to why you didnt stop at an auto parts store or service station and change the filter real quick. would have been cheaper than adding all that synth oil. :shrug:

LOL

I added 2 quarts of Mobil 1 5W30, 1 quart of Quaker State 10W40, half a quart of Penzoil 10W30, and a quart and a half of Havoline 5W30 in order to get home. I made sure it drained for quite awhile when I changed the oil.

As low as my car is... no way getting in there and changing a hot ass oil filter on a hot engine with a steaming mad HUNGRY pregnant wife at the house wondering where I was. :nono:

Users who are viewing this thread