Mgw shifter

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
I have a mgw shifter. When I first put it in I didn't notice any noise. I've changed my clutch and recently I've been getting a lot of noise especially at lower speed higher gear. (Like 1972 Chevy pickup with granny gear noises) I'm thinking its my spec ss clutch . I've sound deadened the tunnel, under the shift boot, and I've sandwiched layers of rubber and dynomat under the rear mount. Anybody have a similar setup? I love the shifter it's the noise that sucks. Is there a fix? Is there another shifter (besides stock) that doesn't make noise? I know mgw has a new rear mount but haven't seen any reviews. I really believe its the twin disc clutch with an uncaptured center plater. I know the ones we use on diesel pull trucks would make a lot of racket.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
If it didn't make noise before the clutch, but does after the clutch, my guess is the shifter has little to do with the noise. There has to be some contributing factor to either the clutch, the install of the clutch and something that has changed do to the clutch; or plane and simple, the clutch chatters.
If what you're hearing is clutch chatter (which is what it sounds like), the shifter won't do anything to reduce it. Having a solid, billet shifter like the MGW may resonate the sound more into the cab, but every shifter on the market that's worth it's weight would probably have the same results.
Break the clutch in properly and the chatter should subside.

scotsam

Established Member
Clutch was installed and broken in by the book. It's not the trans I've replaced that with a slicked up one and I have the same noise. It's been making noise for quite some time but if I remember correctly it seemed to start after the clutch install.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I have a RXT, with a MGW at 5 turns and no issues. The only time I get a little clatter is when I am trying to slip the clutch (which it really does not do) in first.

Other wise I have no issues what so ever, and I love my RXT/w MGW.

scotsam

Established Member
I screw around with a lot of twin discs in diesel pull trucks and they tend to make a lot of noise after aftermarket twin disc clutches are installed be it at idle or light load town driving. The noise doesn't bother me in a diesel pickup but in my car it's a little annoying. I generally just drive around it.

Users who are viewing this thread