Michelin Pilot Super Sports

1320nut

Shelby Girl
Established Member
I know there are countless threads on these tires (I know because I've read them), but I just wanted to say thanks to all those who have posted info and reviews on them. I finally got them put on yesterday and as stated by others, the difference is night and day from the crappy Goodyears! I haven't had this big of a smile on my face driving into work today since the day I took the car home! It's almost like a different car now!! Noticeably less road noise and no rocks being flung up into the wheel wells!!! Couldn't be happier!

phil123

Established Member
I know there are countless threads on these tires (I know because I've read them), but I just wanted to say thanks to all those who have posted info and reviews on them. I finally got them put on yesterday and as stated by others, the difference is night and day from the crappy Goodyears! I haven't had this big of a smile on my face driving into work today since the day I took the car home! It's almost like a different car now!! Noticeably less road noise and no rocks being flung up into the wheel wells!!! Couldn't be happier!

+1 don't understand the resistance and snide remarks from people that if you don't like the GY's you can't drive. On the street the Mich PSS's are just way more fun and do make it a different car. You can drive faster with much more confidence without worrying if the tires are to cold to have traction. But whatever makes you happy.

1320nut

Shelby Girl
Established Member
What size tires did you go with?

I went with the stock sizes, 265-40-19 fronts, 285-35-20 rears. Was going to go a bit larger, but decided to just stay stock for now.

+1 don't understand the resistance and snide remarks from people that if you don't like the GY's you can't drive. On the street the Mich PSS's are just way more fun and do make it a different car. You can drive faster with much more confidence without worrying if the tires are to cold to have traction. But whatever makes you happy.

Completely agree...so much more fun!! Really plants me in the seat now!

NametoShowOther

Established Member
All the whiners about sure you can drive the good years in most weather are correct. You just have to drive like you have a Toyota tercel. I did not buy a shelby to drive like my grandma when it is below 90f! Nor do I want to do a burn out prior to getting on the freeway. Michelins 100%

662HP631TQ

Established Member
All the whiners about sure you can drive the good years in most weather are correct. You just have to drive like you have a Toyota tercel. I did not buy a shelby to drive like my grandma when it is below 90f! Nor do I want to do a burn out prior to getting on the freeway. Michelins 100%

Yeah but some have to wait a bit to get them. No matter what the reason for delay in gettign the Michelins, you can drive just fine on the Good Years if you don't punch it. You don't need to drive like you have a Tercel. You just need to be mindful.

phil123

Established Member
Yeah but some have to wait a bit to get them. No matter what the reason for delay in gettign the Michelins, you can drive just fine on the Good Years if you don't punch it. You don't need to drive like you have a Tercel. You just need to be mindful.

If you want to drive mindfully I suppose that is great. I don't drive like an idiot but do expect to be able to have a bit of fun in the Shelby so not being able to punch it is a problem for me.The Mich take that worry away and add a ton of fun. You don't have to worry about swapping ends in a situation where this shouldn't happen. I believe C&D used the term treacherous when cold and I agree. The Mich also seem more planted and controllable in every situation.

662HP631TQ

Established Member
If you want to drive mindfully I suppose that is great. I don't drive like an idiot but do expect to be able to have a bit of fun in the Shelby so not being able to punch it is a problem for me.The Mich take that worry away and add a ton of fun. You don't have to worry about swapping ends in a situation where this shouldn't happen. I believe C&D used the term treacherous when cold and I agree. The Mich also seem more planted and controllable in every situation.

Fact of the matter is the Michellin PSS are better, but in my experience in the cold rainy weather on a 4 hour trip I stayed out of punching it and did just fine. I love when people mention magazines. I am telling you from real world experience they are fine if you can be mindful. I enjoy spirited driving as much as the next guy but, I know I haven't changed the tires yet therefore I'm mindful.

Don't mistake my argument for drive-ability for saying the GY are better...far from it. Just saying I drove in crappy cold weather and I am not dead and my car is not crashed. Sometimes I feel folks exaggerate a little.

In the end though I'll be in some Michellins by the end of the year.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Fact of the matter is the Michellin PSS are better, but in my experience in the cold rainy weather on a 4 hour trip I stayed out of punching it and did just fine. I love when people mention magazines. I am telling you from real world experience they are fine if you can be mindful. I enjoy spirited driving as much as the next guy but, I know I haven't changed the tires yet therefore I'm mindful.

Don't mistake my argument for drive-ability for saying the GY are better...far from it. Just saying I drove in crappy cold weather and I am not dead and my car is not crashed. Sometimes I feel folks exaggerate a little.

In the end though I'll be in some Michellins by the end of the year.

What do you consider "cold" in Brownsville, Texas? Just curious.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Not unusual for R compound tires to perform poorly when they are cold.

My Avons on the Cobra are like glass when it is cold. But when hot, they are sticky. To me, everything in hot rodding is a comprise. One thing is better in one area, then does not do as well in another.

When I buy new wheels, I will most likely buy the MPSS's because of my driving style.

E

Snoopy49

Established Member
What do you consider "cold" in Brownsville, Texas? Just curious.

The average temperature in Brownsville, Texas, USA is 23.3 °C (74 °F).
The range of average monthly temperatures is 13 °C (55.4ºF).
The warmest average max/ high temperature is 34 °C (93 °F) in July & August.
The coolest average min/ low temperature is 11 °C (52 °F) in January.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
The average temperature in Brownsville, Texas, USA is 23.3 °C (74 °F).
The range of average monthly temperatures is 13 °C (55.4ºF).
The warmest average max/ high temperature is 34 °C (93 °F) in July & August.
The coolest average min/ low temperature is 11 °C (52 °F) in January.

Thanks Snoop! Yea that is pretty cold! Lol!

BOD89LX

Established Member
Glad to hear you like them I just got a set mounted up and hope to get a chance to go for a drive with them if the weather ever brakes around here.

Users who are viewing this thread