Michelin Pilot Super Sports

1320nut

Shelby Girl
Established Member
If you want to drive mindfully I suppose that is great. I don't drive like an idiot but do expect to be able to have a bit of fun in the Shelby so not being able to punch it is a problem for me.The Mich take that worry away and add a ton of fun. You don't have to worry about swapping ends in a situation where this shouldn't happen. I believe C&D used the term treacherous when cold and I agree. The Mich also seem more planted and controllable in every situation.

Agreed 1000%!!!!!!!!

TwoShelbys

I've only had my 13 for about a month. Anyone watching the weather here in Denver can tell you that we've had a few bouts of snow these past 4 weeks. I've actually driven the GYs in the snow (not on purpose, just got stuck out when it started). Now that was a white knuckled drive. Replaced them at 280 miles with MPSSs. Great tire. I also just installed Michelin Alpine PA4 snows on 19 inch Boss rims which are now on the car. Drove to work in the snow this morning with them. Awesome snow tire. Went with stock sizes on the MPSSs and went with 265/35/19 for the snows all around.

NametoShowOther

Established Member
paid about $1400 at discount tire as well - they were about $100 less than tire rack. Strange Tire Rack would not match the price - the bricks and mortar store was cheaper

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I will have to keep my eye on Discount Tire once I get my GT500 in early May. The GY's are coming off from New and will be putting on the PSS's. Anyone want a 2nd set of new GY's pm me because I will be selling them cheap.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I've only had my 13 for about a month. Anyone watching the weather here in Denver can tell you that we've had a few bouts of snow these past 4 weeks. I've actually driven the GYs in the snow (not on purpose, just got stuck out when it started). Now that was a white knuckled drive. Replaced them at 280 miles with MPSSs. Great tire.

Yeah, I'm REALLY tired of our delayed winter weather and am very ready for Spring!

When I drove mine home from Seattle, where I took delivery last November, I had to cross a snowy mountain pass in eastern OR and deal with miles of black ice in western WY. Those were very white-knuckled periods of the trip, considering I'd owned the car for all of 2-3 days! Although I'm not crazy about the Goodyears and intend to upgrade to MPSSs or MPSAS3s, I was VERY impressed with how the car handled the inclement weather. Got her home without a scratch, but she will NEVER see another snowflake if I have anything to say about it...

662HP631TQ

Established Member
What do you consider "cold" in Brownsville, Texas? Just curious.
It was low 40's and rainy in January when I did this trek to San Antonio....So yes, it was "Cold" in terms of the tires. Like I said, I was being mindful and all was good. It was pretty slick out there too!
I lleft about 4 in the morning as well, so it was still pretty cold to the rubber, not skin. I am trying to find historical data for the day I went on the trip. You are trying to generalize temperature, but I am speaking about a very specific time frame with rainy windy conditions early in the morning. It was slick and cold like I said.

Last edited:

phil123

Established Member
Yeah, I'm REALLY tired of our delayed winter weather and am very ready for Spring!

When I drove mine home from Seattle, where I took delivery last November, I had to cross a snowy mountain pass in eastern OR and deal with miles of black ice in western WY. Those were very white-knuckled periods of the trip, considering I'd owned the car for all of 2-3 days! Although I'm not crazy about the Goodyears and intend to upgrade to MPSSs or MPSAS3s, I was VERY impressed with how the car handled the inclement weather. Got her home without a scratch, but she will NEVER see another snowflake if I have anything to say about it...

We drove ours from Seattle to the SF Bay Area in July. No snow but plenty of rain in Washington and Oregon. The tires handle rain fine. They work great on the track. The problem is when they are cold the are very unpredictable and act like they are on ball bearings. If you always drive in a conservative manner you probably would never notice this but if you decide to have a little fun when the tires are cold there is nothing subtle about it. To me they are not appropriate for a daily driver or street car unless you have no desire to have fun occasionally. Bottom line GY's out Mich PSS on at 3,000 miles. If I had to do it over again would have done it much earlier. I don't drive like an idiot but on the other hand I didn't buy this car so I would have baby it all the time because the tires couldn't be trusted.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
The tires...work great on the track. The problem is when they are cold the are very unpredictable and act like they are on ball bearings. If you always drive in a conservative manner you probably would never notice this but if you decide to have a little fun when the tires are cold there is nothing subtle about it. To me they are not appropriate for a daily driver or street car unless you have no desire to have fun occasionally. Bottom line GY's out Mich PSS... I don't drive like an idiot but on the other hand I didn't buy this car so I would have baby it all the time because the tires couldn't be trusted.

I could not agree more! :beer:

blair223

Established Member
Just replaced my worn-out GYs (11000 miles) with the PSS. Got caught in a downpour and the tires had great traction. Has completely changed wet weather driving from white-knuckle to FUN. Highly recommended.

Myfast70

Established Member
Just replaced my worn-out GYs (11000 miles) with the PSS. Got caught in a downpour and the tires had great traction. Has completely changed wet weather driving from white-knuckle to FUN. Highly recommended.

Wow, 11k miles! You really drive that thing

Users who are viewing this thread