Mid America at Hallett

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
If anyone flys in on Thursday to Milwaukee, I could pick them up at the airport on my up to RA. I could vary my schedule to meet at them at the airport. I think it would be a lot of fun driving to the airport with a 20' trailer. :D

Last edited:

kevin

brian - thanks for the offer. looking at the map, i think i'll take 80 across to the chicago area and then north. got a brother in law and his wife there. haven't seen 'em in a long while. but if things change i'll keep ya in mind.

kevin.#22,#41,#80

kevin

i've never had any problem shipping my 65 shelby cobra, so an r should be ok as well. i've used passport transport: 1-800-325-4267, ask for mike.

if you're flexible on pick up and delivery, then ya can negotiate a better price. i don't know how much from you to ra and back.

but if ya don't ask then the answers no. hope it works out for ya.

kevin.#22,#41,#80

kevin

oops. forgot to add. if ya want to ship an extra set of mounted tires, the driver usually has no problem for an extra cash tip. also, be sure your splitter will fit in the car cause i don't know about that.

kevin.#22,#41,#80

JoeJ

Established Member
Road America

Hey Kevin,

Yep, you are going to have to run 95 to 100% at Road America to keep no 466 out of your mirrors. LOL. With good brakes and 4.10 gears I will have no mercy. Man oh man, I am ready for that event. It will be a blast. I need to get you to ride with me so I can improve my braking techniques.

Sure looking forward to seeing everyone on this site in person.

kevin

joe - all i have to do is start out in front of you so ya can't use those 4:10's against me. what ya might want to do is go for a ride with me so you can feel the late braking i do.

i've been a passenger on ra 5 years ago. that makes me a newbie. give me a couple of runs and i'll try to catch up with the rest of you. please have mercy on me, i'm a slow learner.

course i gotta get my clutch working properly and get a better set of race tires.

kevin.#22,#41,#80

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
i've been a passenger on ra 5 years ago. that makes me a newbie. give me a couple of runs and i'll try to catch up with the rest of you. please have mercy on me, i'm a slow learner.

course i gotta get my clutch working properly and get a better set of race tires.

LOL. OK, we will try to slow down a little at first. haha

I'll bet your slowest lap will be at least a half a minute quicker than my fastest lap. Hopefully I will get to ride shotgun with you and see how the talented guys do it.

I was hoping to have new seats, track wheels and tires by RA, but after looking at the checkbook and credit card bills, I don't think that is going to happen.

kevin

i give rides to all who ask on a first come first served basis, after my wife gives up her seat. the exception is that spectators ride after those i know (including those on this list) get rides if they want.

ya know what i miss - those little stars that used to be under our names that flashed at us. bummer.

kevin.#22,#41,#80

kevin

i'd like to make a comment to all on this site who are going to ra in sept (or any other track event for that matter). some of us like going fast on tracks, some will be faster than others, even with the same style vehicle. however, just cause one is faster than another is no reason for someone with less experience or confidence ( i.e. experience) to try and push beyond his/her own level of comfort.

drive your own car the way you're most comfortable. we have different needs and desires. if you can learn from someone else (and i am still learning) by instruction or following them on the track, then do so. but if someone else is running faster than you (more speed on straights, deeper into turns b4 braking or a better line) and you're not comfortable at that speed (or whatever) then back off. ask that individual later what they're doing, how and why. we all have different levels of focus on the track for various reasons. if you lose your focus (i.e. driving someone else's car from your front seat), your doomed. feel free to pass and get passed when appropriate. this is not a race (when i race i'm a whole lot less chartiable).

we're doing this for fun on the track and the social off the track, meet new friends and remember old times with old friends.

some of you may be reading the above posts (and others) between joe, myself and others and take the wrong message from it. joe and i have been on the track together several times. we're not afraid to share what we think each other is doing right or wrong. we are competitive. but never have we been so that we don't have fun (and that means we both lead and follow). again, this is not a race. i do race. i do open tracks events for the pure pleasure of driving with friends (new and old).

at ra (or other tracks), do yourself a favor - drive your own car your own way and live to tell about it back at the paddocks. if ya scare yourself on the track - good. think about what ya did or didn't do. a good driver (street or track) can tell ya what happened and when during any event. that means their paying attention.

drive safe, drive fun and don't be a UVO (unconscious vehicle operator).

ya might see this pop up again just before ra.

i truely look forward to seeing all my new friends (for the first time) at ra.

sorry if this is to long and preachy.

humbley yours kevin.#22,#41,#80

Cobra-R

Established Member
Well said, Kevin. I think it very appropriate to talk about it now and again right before the event.

I for one will be one of the slow ones trying to learn from you faster guys. I like to ask alot of questions, Just ask dean.

Brian

JoeJ

Established Member
I second everything that Kevin said. I have enjoyed open track events so very much and I continue to learn during every event. I really think by riding with someone and watching how he brakes and the lines he takes really helps. I try and grab a ride with an instructor ever chance I get especially if he drives a similar car and is quick.

I have met some of the greatest guys around since I have started running open track events. Just approach each event with a desire to learn and have FUN!!!!!

Kevin, thanks for your input. It is sure appropriate.

Cobra-R

Established Member
One thing I would like to have someone show me is how to heal/tow. I can not figure out how to do that with my big hoofs. :)

Brian

kevin

if your trying to do it in the 00r, stop now. the throttle is too far forward versus the brake. i've been heel/toeing for years and i can't do it in the 00r. for a race car they left the standard pedal setup alone. if anyone knows how to adjust the pedals, let me know.

also, heel/toe is a missnomer. it's really left ball of foot and right side of foot. if you plant your heal and run the brake with the left part of the ball of your foot, you should be able to control the throttle with the right side of the same foot.

again, i can't do it in the r. someone with wider feet might be able to pull it off. in the absence of this ability, your left with two choices. 1. blip the throttle for a gear change and don't use the brake (very inefficient - wastes time), 2. don't bother. brake hard when ya need to, downshift when you've lowered your revs thru braking. this second method may unbalance the car, but rebalance it with the throttle. in a light weight car this could be very unsettling (i.e. the rear comes around and kisses ya on the face).

in the r, i just brake deep into the straight, shift, throttle.

kevin.#22,#41,#80

kevin

oh, i forgot. ya could attach something to the throttle to extend it into the crew compartment and thus making the surface of the throttle even with the brake. actually, just a little behind the brake. so when ya brake the two pedals are about even. does this help? :):):)

kevin.#22,#41,#80

Cobra-R

Established Member
Yea that helps alot, Kevin. Now I don't feel so bad not being able to do it in this car. I thought it had to be me doing something wrong.

Hopefully at RA we can find a car that has a normal orientation of it's pedals and you can show me the way it is done. I am not meaning taking somebody elses car on the track, just showing it in a pits.

I don't know if this is right, but when I was at RA I would either(depending on the corner) brake with my right foot and clutch with my left. In some of the faster corners where shifting wasn't nesessary, I brake with my left foot so I could keep the other foot on the throttle. It was a little awkward, but seemed to work.

Thanks again, Brian

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Downshifting before you get to the corner is something I really need to work on. The first session at RA this spring, I was having a real tough time with it. It seemed everything I did seemed to make the car squirrely. After that, I made a conscious effort to work on that aspect everytime I went out. It got a little better by the time I left.

I am hoping that my instructor on Friday will give me a lot of good tips and let me know what I'm doing wrong. I've thought about trying to heel/toe but I'm not sure that the track is really the place to experiment with something like that. One slip off the brake pedal and you will be getting towed out of one of their sand pits if not worse.

Kevin - I really should print out your message above and tape it to my dash. For me, it's not necessarily a competitive situation between drivers, it's more of a personal challenge to go a little faster every time out. Saturday would be my first timed event so I am hoping to show a little improvement each time out.

Users who are viewing this thread