Might be buying a 2003 Mach1.. thoughts?

Foozer

Established Member
There's a guy near my city that is selling a grey 2003 mach 1 with 44,000 miles on it (clean title no accidents). He is currently having the hood repainted due to bad priming (I assume).

I am wondering if 1. The paint should be a concern, the rest of the car looks solid, but I've read some things online that the mach1s didn't have the best paint? 2. Is the mach1 still a fun car, when compared to the newer 5.0s? I am test driving it this weekend and am a tiny bit worried that it might now feel as thrilling as my 2013 5.0. But I've always had a thing for the mach1 (i love the shaker hood so much) and the price is very reasonable on this one. It will be a second car, weekend/nice day cruiser.

Thoughts and or things I should double check on the car before buying? Thanks.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Can't really compare the Mach to the later model 5.0 they handle a lot different. Stick or auto both Machs are a blast to drive. I did prefer the auto behind the 4.6 dohc because of the rpm range, it would really throw you to the back and keep you there as it pulled. Just make sure the 03 you are looking at doesn't have the head tick or you can use it to your advantage as you work the price. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I would say expect it to feel nothing like your 5.0. Only thing the two really share is the name plate. If it's better or worse is preference. It will definitely be slower assuming stock vs stock.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
Definitely more raw than your newer 5.0. Gear whine and road noise is the norm. Subframe connectors fixed a lot of plastic panel creaks. You will like the seating position better in your 5.0 I bet. That's my only complaint about mine. Feels like I'm not down in the car but on top of it compared to the s197. No paint issues here either. I have an 03 with 15500 miles.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
my car lived about half its life outside, no paint issues to speak of, just normal rock chips.

Ive never had any gear whine.

I think theyre fun cars for what they are, not sure how much Id drive a stockish one if I already had a Coyote

Foozer

Established Member
Definitely more raw than your newer 5.0. Gear whine and road noise is the norm. Subframe connectors fixed a lot of plastic panel creaks. You will like the seating position better in your 5.0 I bet. That's my only complaint about mine. Feels like I'm not down in the car but on top of it compared to the s197. No paint issues here either. I have an 03 with 15500 miles.

Yeah I kind of like the more raw feeling. Do you get plastic creaking noises?

Foozer

Established Member
my car lived about half its life outside, no paint issues to speak of, just normal rock chips.

Ive never had any gear whine.

I think theyre fun cars for what they are, not sure how much Id drive a stockish one if I already had a Coyote

I sold my 5.0 and have a truck now that is paid off, but the urge of owning a mus try ang is always present. I can tee afford a new one and keep the truck so I thought this may be a good way to have the best of both worlds

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
Yeah I kind of like the more raw feeling. Do you get plastic creaking noises?
Occasionally. Not anymore with the subframe connectors. Car definitely feels more solid.
10fdebb1a13386ebcc5f92e12f099ea9.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't recall hearing much of anything from it. I did have magnapacks for a long time so could explain it, magnum t56 now

I've got some squeaks and rattles and such but I've also got all kinds of aftermarket suspension, full exhaust, cams etc

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
I don't recall hearing much of anything from it. I did have magnapacks for a long time so could explain it, magnum t56 now

I've got some squeaks and rattles and such but I've also got all kinds of aftermarket suspension, full exhaust, cams etc
I have Borla Stingers lol. Mine isn't a bad noise but you can hear it. Im definitely not complaining. I like the mechanical sound of it. My car came with a steeda triax too so I've never driven it with the stock shifter either. I think the aftermarket shifter carries a lot of sounds through it even with the Cobra Bob gaskets on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cpotts13

Established Member
Hood issue is a known problem I believe.... mine and the hood repainted due to the primer problem. That's the only panel effected.

You will notice how raw it feels compared to newer mustangs. No issues after 50k miles. Mine isn't very stock anymore, so I can't really comment on it. The interior freaks a lot. Despite what others say. Buy some industrial Velcro and stick it behind everything that's plastic and you Will be good. If you have any questions let me know!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Foozer

Established Member
All good information, thanks guys. I think I am going to pull the trigger on it this weekend or early next week just depending on the guys schedule. Shaker hood here we come

4a7191a

Established Member
My 3650 sounds awful, has been for years too. Been waiting on it to fling apart. Gear wine from the 456 isn't Fords fault. The paint and interior have held up very well being that it's over a decade old.
I'd say I'd it's a good price buy it. They're unique fun rides.

Recon

Established Member
So did you get it?
I'm getting my first new edge tomorrow, 04 Mach 1. Very excited!

AlloyPony

Established Member
My 3650 shifts pretty good and is quiet. I don't have any noise at all, at least not loud enough to hear while cruising down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread