Might purchase a 98 Cobra..

tjb1984

I am thinking about buying a 1998 cobra, white, convertible. It has 35k miles on it, and a friend of mine is selling it. He has done a few light mods, such as exhaust. What would be a fair price for this car, and what things should i look for? Also is this a good model year
Any help is apprecited.

Tom

Last edited:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
'98 is the best year to get that type of Cobra. Fair price would be in the 15's I would guess.

max

Established Member
Personally, if I had the pick of a '96 through '98, I'd take the lowest mileage, nicer car and not worry about the year. They all look the same, minus the color selection for each year.
Oh, and I prefer the low mileage '96. :)

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by max
Personally, if I had the pick of a '96 through '98, I'd take the lowest mileage, nicer car and not worry about the year. They all look the same, minus the color selection for each year.
Oh, and I prefer the low mileage '96. :)

The 98 model got new wheels. wasn't the clock in a different place?

max

Established Member
Originally posted by i8u

The 98 model got new wheels. wasn't the clock in a different place?

If you want to be technical, there's more differences than you've mentioned, but in the big picture of things, they're the same, as far as purchasing, that I stated above. Mileage and condition should take precedence over the year model, as far as the '96 to '98 goes.

Oh, and I agree about the '60 stangs.....my white one puts the sn-95 to shame in the looks department (IMO)

i8u

Established Member
Max,
I Just wanted to point out that there were other minor changes affecting the appearance of the car. I agree that mileage and condition are more important factors. I did not think I was getting technical. I would think technical would be talking about the differant fuel pump in the 98. How the 98 water pump pulley had a outer lip on it.

max

Established Member
i8u, no problem at all. We could pick obvious differences, but here's another. The bucket seat leanback's welting does not curve in like the '96 and '97, but go straight down. Also, on the rear seat backs (on the outer edges) they're a carpet-type material versus vinyl or cloth.
Hey that could be a new thread on the nuances of the cars.
For instance, on the '96's, ( talking about the shape of the ignition key-holder), the early ones flared in towards the key while the others(at least after Jan '96) flared out.
Peace.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
'98's a good year... They actually dropped the clock pod in '98 and put it in the stereo... which :shrug: I kinda like the clock pod.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
I say the '98 so you don't have to worry about wether or not the recalls have been done ie - Overheating fix and rear sway bar swap.

Wildpony

Established Member
I never had a recall or overheating radiator. I also never had a swaybar issue sent to me. Just the thing about the parking brake .

max

Established Member
The only recall I know of for '96 is what Wildpony said......parking brake. The overheating was a TSB....ie, would be done for southern cars whose owners complained/proved it was overheating. Most dealers did the TSB without much argument. Never heard of the rear swaybar recall. However, I do know lots of owners have broken theirs.

drewkeen

SVT
Established Member
Originally posted by max
i8u, no problem at all. We could pick obvious differences, but here's another. The bucket seat leanback's welting does not curve in like the '96 and '97, but go straight down. Also, on the rear seat backs (on the outer edges) they're a carpet-type material versus vinyl or cloth.
Hey that could be a new thread on the nuances of the cars.
For instance, on the '96's, ( talking about the shape of the ignition key-holder), the early ones flared in towards the key while the others(at least after Jan '96) flared out.
Peace.

i think my dec. 95 flares out, but im not positive what you mean

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Wildpony
I never had a recall or overheating radiator. I also never had a swaybar issue sent to me. Just the thing about the parking brake .

That's because you have a '98. :punch:

The '96's had overheating issues and the '96 - '97's have been known to have the rear sway bar break. The '98's have a thicker sway bar and no overheating issues.

Users who are viewing this thread