mileage on nitto 555's?

nduction03

Established Member
What kind of mileage are people getting with the Nitto 555's (not dr)?

The price looks right.

03DOHC

Established Member
Oops, non DR. Had those too. Pretty good, long life. Mine transmitted road noise into the car.

Last edited:

AzDropTop

Established Member
I picked up my steeda wheels slightly used with 555's on them (approx 500 miles), and have since put on about 8k miles on them when on the GT, and about 6K miles on the Cobra. Plenty of tire left. I would bet another 20k miles at least. I don't do burn outs and have been to the track with them just 3 times for a total of about 7 or 8 runs. The are not great for traction, so don't get them for that. Otherwise not bad at all so far.

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
I just put on a new set of Nitto 555S Extreme Performance. Got about 9000 off the stock and hope to get more off the Nitto, will see. Discount Tire offered the 275-40-17 size for $160 each free shipping.

SnakeEyes87

Established Member
Search button was not working at the time of this post so, for strip use and for street use, what gives the best results as far as tires go? Are the Nitto555R's good to use daily, as well as for the strip, or would it be better if I wanted strip traction to go with some slicks (please name good ones) and Nitto555's for daily use? My F1's are dead, I need new tires ASAP.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeEyes87
Are the Nitto555R's good to use daily, as well as for the strip, or would it be better if I wanted strip traction to go with some slicks (please name good ones) and Nitto555's for daily use?

Mustang 5.0 had a pretty good tech article a few months back involving the 555's. I think the article was called "road trippin' " In it they discussed how heat cycles affected the 555's. Basically once you cook them they become hard as stone is what it boiled down to. So as long as you don't do any burnouts on them you should be fine. Also the 275's are pretty narrow to be relying upon for a good 60'. So.... IMO the 275 555's are a good street tire and should suit your needs. If you're planning on racing down the 1/4 frequently, then do like I do..... have a set of 315 555R D/R's mounted on some extra rims and save your street tires ;-)

lifter213

Established Member
I have the regular 555's on my GT and they are a good tire I really like them. I've been through 2 sets in about 30k miles. I'm probably going to be getting the 555R drag radial for the Cobra though.

AzDropTop

Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeEyes87
Search button was not working at the time of this post so, for strip use and for street use, what gives the best results as far as tires go? Are the Nitto555R's good to use daily, as well as for the strip, or would it be better if I wanted strip traction to go with some slicks (please name good ones) and Nitto555's for daily use? My F1's are dead, I need new tires ASAP.

I would definately get something different if you are going to hit the track a bunch. They have been good everyday tires so far.

Users who are viewing this thread