Military Naval Warfare Tech Question

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
What are the chances that the US has the capability to detect submerged submarines (specifically ballistic missile subs) from space? I know we have employed sonar buoy nets, but I was wondering if there may be a satellite based system now.

Coiled03

Established Member
I'd wager slim to none. The best sonar tech we have available on the surface can't detect them unless they practically sail over the top. I can't image a satellite could detect them from miles above the surface.

But, I could be completely wrong. We all know the public doesn't know about even half the capabilities of the military.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I'd wager slim to none. The best sonar tech we have available on the surface can't detect them unless they practically sail over the top. I can't image a satellite could detect them from miles above the surface.

But, I could be completely wrong. We all know the public doesn't know about even half the capabilities of the military.

RE: sonar etc We have some really great stuff. I do some IT consulting on the side for a small local company that builds sonar equipment, but I can't discuss any of it, under NDA and a lot of their stuff falls under ITAR.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Id bet we have it figured out already and one satellite that continuously tracks each sub. I believe we already have sats that can scan the bottom of the ocean for elevation, all you would need to do is modify that a bit to scan for an anomaly (IE bottom of floor is 3k' but you get a blip at 500' below the surface). Once you find them, then its just a matter of figuring direction and once you have that you just keep tracking it.

bigmoose

Established Member

I'll just say false and leave it at that.

I'm not involved in air or space stuff but this is on Wikipedia:

Magnetic anomaly detector - Wikipedia

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, as I was a Sonar Tech on submarines for a spell, I’ll say that the best way to find a submarine is typically with intelligence that gives you the general location so another submarine can find the boat in question. Magnetic anomaly detection has its limitation, as does thermal, SOSUS, or any long range, low frequency detection array. I’m certain we have LEO birds which just detect whether boats are present in port, or loading supplies for an upcoming deployment. It is highly unlikely that we have the ability to track boats submerged via satellite.

It is funny that submarines can often lose their stealthy advantage by loss of depth control in rough seas, operating in waters where bioluminescent life forms are stirred, leaving a glowing trail, or 20 seagulls lined up and perched upon on a floating wire antenna.

RES0574

Established Member
Maybe there are certain vessels in the fleet that may or may not be testing this type of advancement. There may or may not be some applied research laboratories that are involved. There may or may not be some white hulls that participate in activities to further promote this type of capability......

These programs report to three stars minimum.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Maybe...I saw some data years ago but it was very dependant on a ton of things and it never gained traction...that was also 20 years ago so who knows what they got cookin today

Dusten

Established Member
I'll just say false and leave it at that.

I'm not involved in air or space stuff but this is on Wikipedia:

Magnetic anomaly detector - Wikipedia
Mad requires close in detection. We've all but stopped using it.

Since your an expert, please tell me how far I've tracked submarines....

What are the chances that the US has the capability to detect submerged submarines (specifically ballistic missile subs) from space? I know we have employed sonar buoy nets, but I was wondering if there may be a satellite based system now.
They aren't sonar bouy nets.

They are submerged cable arrays.

Sonar bouys are a short ife redection tool.

Coiled03

Established Member
Since your an expert, please tell me how far I've tracked submarines....

I didn't say I'm an expert. Notice how I said I could be completely wrong.

Since you're obviously hyper defensive on the topic, why don't you explain us how far you're tracked a sub WITH A SATELLITE.

Inb4 you claim some OPSEC crap.

Dusten

Established Member
I didn't say I'm an expert. Notice how I said I could be completely wrong.

Since you're obviously hyper defensive on the topic, why don't you explain us how far you're tracked a sub WITH A SATELLITE.

Inb4 you claim some OPSEC crap.

I never said satellite. You said the best sonar on the surface. Being a surface sonar tech for the last 19 years, I'm going to get defensive when someone tells me what I can and cant do.

But the range of our surface sonar routinely exceeds the range of our radars.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I never said satellite. You said the best sonar on the surface. Being a surface sonar tech for the last 19 years, I'm going to get defensive when someone tells me what I can and cant do.

But the range of our surface sonar routinely exceeds the range of our radars.
With what kind of accuracy?
I know what you do...I not trying to belittle you. I got hits on certain things with parameters waaay out of limits often, i knew the boat was underway (due tonseveral other reasons) for sure but it's loc was hard to determine

Dusten

Established Member
With what kind of accuracy?
I know what you do...I not trying to belittle you. I got hits on certain things with parameters waaay out of limits often, i knew the boat was underway (due tonseveral other reasons) for sure but it's loc was hard to determine

Accurate enough to get a p8 on station. Or to corroborate with an ssn's reported posits.

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
From personal experience disarming the Halo rings in Halo 1/2.

I know for a fact that I truly do enjoy peanut butter and honey sandwiches on toasted wheat bread in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread