misinformation

Dino S.

Established Member
I see alot of you people bitching about skinny tires on the new Cobra. Open a freshman physics book, educate yourself, and you'll find out that surface area does not affect static friction. So please, bitch about the awful weight ratio, but quit talking about the tires. 255's will hook just as well as 275's would.

Honestly.

rphinney

Established Member
Take a look at any straight line car ever created, educate yourself. There is a reason the skinnies go in the front. :thumbsup:

Established Member
Oh Really?

Do you have real world data to substantiate your claim? Are you inferring that exotics that weigh much less and make more power than Cobras use large tires for reasons other than traction? Have you driven a 450 HP Cobra with smaller than factory tires? :bs:

Dino S.

Established Member
please, keep bringing the bs arguments in, it only makes you look stupid. wide tires are for looks and stability. Friction is a product of the normal force and the two surfaces involved. Surface area has nothing to do with it. This is facts.

And 5500, you answered your own question. Factory tires suck because they are a compound meant to do well in various conditions. 245, 255, 275, they're all gonna hook the same, its all about compound. There's a reason sticky tires don't do well in the rain.

rphinney

Established Member
Is that article even taking into consideration the power of the various cars? Bottom line, same compound 215's versus 315's the 315's will hook better.

Established Member
Show me a road test to substantiate your claims and I'll eat whatever crow you want to pedal! Untill then, keep your physics textbook in the classroom where it belongs and put the rubber on the road!

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Dude, there is a reason why the alcohol powered drag racers have those GIANT faucking tires....

SLO_NEON

Uncle Ben's Rice
Established Member
Dino S. said:
I see alot of you people bitching about skinny tires on the new Cobra. Open a freshman physics book, educate yourself, and you'll find out that surface area does not affect static friction. So please, bitch about the awful weight ratio, but quit talking about the tires. 255's will hook just as well as 275's would.

Honestly.

Static friction on a dynamic tire... your tire is rolling correct? if I have to dig out the powertrain and vehicle dynamics books (under-grad level) to correct this - then so be it... opening a freshman physics books doesn't mean "reading and understanding" the book... wow...

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
Dino S. said:
here, since obviously nobody is gonna pick up a physics book, read this:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/42798/index.html

look for f=uN. Read whats below it.

The article does say that tire width will help. It just states that compound makes a much bigger difference (duh). I agree that 255 -> 275 is not a huge difference (4 cm total) but 255->315 will definitely be noticable and difference will only get larger when adding a better compound.

Plus, lets not kid ourselves, big, meaty tires look cool. :rockon:

Last edited:

jimwood

Established Member
Dino S. said:

Honestly.

Honestly....the best laugh I have had in a while...honestly.

2814v

Established Member
I am not a drag racer, although it seems to me wider is better when it comes to traction. But what I do know is those skinny tires on the rear of the 07 cobra look out of place and just plain wrong.

jshen

Established Member
Kinda Hostile Words to Start a Thread!

Dino S. said:

Honestly.

Damn....I'm surpised the group has been this nice to you...

R1Lello

Established Member
Dino S. said:
oh, and skinnies go in the front because they are lighter.

:burn:

Yes, that's why top fuel funny cars and dragsters have skinney tires at the front and small slicks in the rear..........maybe with skinnies at all four corners they're run 3's in the quarter................give you head a shake !!

Torque

Banned
really, guys - why do you even waste your time posting on a topic like this douche bag has put up? It is probably the dumbest thing I have ever seen posted in this forum. Obviously, this guy is way toooo smart for everybody.

what a jerkoff. more surface area = more traction. period.

Steve68Cougar

Established Member
According to freshman physics, it's a good theory. Upper level physics will have you eating your words, though. Without going into too much detail, the theory you're pointing to is assuming a number of things including that it's two hard, smooth surfaces that are contacting each other. Racing slicks and even good, high performance street tires are anything but hard. The physics changes pretty dramatically as the tires get stickier. The tires and road interact (mechanically and even chemically) with each other in a way that it would take FEA to get a true theoretical reading on how much grip is available. The contact patch has a lot to do with how well tires hook. Why else would you lower the air on slicks? If the simple theory was correct then you would see people airing up their slicks to 45psi so they wouldn't have so much rolling resistance. Street tires are a little different than racing slicks, but they're still not following the simple theory. The high performance tires they'll be using on the new SVT engineered Mustang are sticky enough that the contact patch does make a difference. It is possible, however, that the car can handle better with the 255's than the older ones did with the 275 because of improved suspension geometry. I would really be surprised if SVE would put out a new car that didn't handle better than the old one.

Users who are viewing this thread