Misuse of plates

trevkm7

Established Member
I received a misuse of plates ticket this morning. I did have insurance on the car,but no proof with me in the vehicle. I have a court date on the 5th of March for misuse of plates and driving an uninsured vehicle. The officer stated that I could easily take care of the uninsured vehicle charge if I just showed them the proof that it was insured in court. I know that this forum is for law enforcement officers and not judges but was wondering if anyone has an idea of what kind of fines I should be expecting here? I read that in Connecticut it could be up to $300 for misuse and or 30 days in jail. Also up to $200 dollars for it being unregistered. He didn't write me up for it being unregistered but I assume that I am still subject to the fine.I will have the car registered and bring registration to the court. I haven't had any tickets in over 3 years but not to sure if that will help me at all here.(I'm 20 years old so I've only been driving for 4). If anyone has any insight I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:

LS2GTO

Established Member
If you say you had insurance at the time of the stop, then all you have to do is show proof of that and they will drop all the charges related to not having proof of insurance.

What is the reasoning for the misuse of plates ticket?

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
You should be fined extra for that post. :nonono: My brain hurts after reading that.

It appears as if you are facing a criminal charge. In your case an attorney may be your best choice. Find one.

trevkm7

Established Member
If you say you had insurance at the time of the stop, then all you have to do is show proof of that and they will drop all the charges related to not having proof of insurance.

What is the reasoning for the misuse of plates ticket?
I had plates from another vehicle on the car. I went to the DMV twice and left because I had work and the lines were to long for me to make it on time. I Should have just stayed.
You should be fined extra for that post. :nonono: My brain hurts after reading that.

It appears as if you are facing a criminal charge. In your case an attorney may be your best choice. Find one.

It was that bad :shrug: sorry.

It says that it is a misdemeanor on the ticket. But that I'm being released because he believes I will show up in court. Just the tow less than a mile back to my house was $100,and I had aaa which would have made the tow free, but the officer had already called a tow truck not affiliated with triple a. I didn't want to ruin the mood the officer was in because he was pretty nice to me. I'd really like to skip paying for an attorney, this is already going to cost me quite a bit.

Last edited:

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Yes, you will need to show proof of insurance and it will be dismissed, although it might not be totally free of a fine. I have seen 10.00 court fee.
The misuse of license plate fine sounds about right. $150-200.00. Like you said it better be registered before you go to court.

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
It says that it is a misdemeanor on the ticket. But that I'm being released because he believes I will show up in court. Just the tow less than a mile back to my house was $100,and I had aaa which would have made the tow free, but the officer had already called a tow truck not affiliated with triple a. I didn't want to ruin the mood the officer was in because he was pretty nice to me. I'd really like to skip paying for an attorney, this is already going to cost me quite a bit.

I'm surprised they towed it to your house unregistered. Round here we would have impounded the vehicle until the court released it.

You were issued a summons in lieu of arrest. You are facing a criminal charge. If you want to go at it alone then that's up to you.

If I were charged with a criminal offense that was punishable by jail time I would consult an attorney. But that's just me I guess. :shrug:

Good luck man, gotta hate those lines at the DMV. :bash:

Last edited:

trevkm7

Established Member
I'm surprised they towed it to your house unregistered. Round here we would have impounded the vehicle until the court released it.

You were issued a summons in lieu of arrest. You are facing a criminal charge. If you want to go at it alone then that's up to you.

If I were charged with a criminal offense that was punishable by jail time I would consult an attorney. But that's just me I guess. :shrug:

Good luck man, gotta hate those lines at the DMV. :bash:

Thanks,I'm sure I'll need it!

I was surprised myself that I wasn't going to need to pay to get it out of an impound lot.

I'd love to have an attorney but it depends on the cost. As of now this is going to be at least a 350 dollar expense. Lesson learned thats for sure.

One last question. The officer took my plates with him. Will I get those back in court? Or am I going to have to re register my other vehicle as well?

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Thanks,I'm sure I'll need it!

I was surprised myself that I wasn't going to need to pay to get it out of an impound lot.

I'd love to have an attorney but it depends on the cost. As of now this is going to be at least a 350 dollar expense. Lesson learned thats for sure.

One last question. The officer took my plates with him. Will I get those back in court? Or am I going to have to re register my other vehicle as well?

You probably won't get the plates back. But I may be wrong, you could ask the court that.

We do misuse/fictitious plates completely different here in Ohio. So I don't have all the answers for you.

I cannot stress enough that you are facing a criminal charge. I don't know what your current record looks like but if given the opportunity to keep it clean I think I would spend the extra dough on an attorney.

CWCobra

Established Member
Yet another example of what bad things can happen when you have license plates on your vehicle. You perhaps would have been far better off with no plate whatsoever.

trevkm7

Established Member
You probably won't get the plates back. But I may be wrong, you could ask the court that.

We do misuse/fictitious plates completely different here in Ohio. So I don't have all the answers for you.

I cannot stress enough that you are facing a criminal charge. I don't know what your current record looks like but if given the opportunity to keep it clean I think I would spend the extra dough on an attorney.

My record is squeaky clean. In all honesty I was not aware how serious the charge was or I would have never been driving it with other plates in the first place. I'll look into an attorney.

Last edited:

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
My record is squeaky clean. In all honesty I was not aware how serious the charge was or I would have never been driving it with other plates in the first place. I'll look into an attorney.
Good choice. With a clean record an attorney will more than likely get it reduced to a non-criminal charge. A criminal conviction stays with you for life and if asked, must be disclosed on a job application to the prospective employer who won't be interested in finding out if it was for a stupid mistake (plate swapping) or a violent crime involving a theft.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Good choice. With a clean record an attorney will more than likely get it reduced to a non-criminal charge. A criminal conviction stays with you for life and if asked, must be disclosed on a job application to the prospective employer who won't be interested in finding out if it was for a stupid mistake (plate swapping) or a violent crime involving a theft.

I think he's starting to get it. The cost of an attorney is many times better than the original charge.

trevkm7

Established Member
So just a follow up,I went to court today all charges dropped and no fine. I passed on the attorney because of cost and I got lucky. Thanks to everybody who helped!

trevkm7

Established Member
Nope haha it was just traffic court pretty much.There was a line of about 100 people that she needed to get to. She kinda laughed at the dmv story and asked for proof it was insured and that it was now registered. Then she said okay I'm dropping all charges your all set.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Nope haha it was just traffic court pretty much.There was a line of about 100 people that she needed to get to. She kinda laughed at the dmv story and asked for proof it was insured and that it was now registered. Then she said okay I'm dropping all charges your all set.

Good deal.

An easy and cheap lesson learned. :beer:

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
Good to hear. You dodged a bullet on that one. Where I'm from a misdemeanor takes you out of traffic court and puts criminal court.

trevkm7

Established Member
If I give you some cash will you buy lottery tickets for me?

You are one lucky Hombre.

I wouldn't say I'm that lucky but sure :beer:
Good deal.

An easy and cheap lesson learned. :beer:

Yeah I was ecstatic!
Good to hear. You dodged a bullet on that one. Where I'm from a misdemeanor takes you out of traffic court and puts criminal court.
I thought the same, I went into the trial thinking the worst. Definitely dodged a bullet. thanks again everyone :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread