MM&FF doing a 96-98 4v mod series

CY98Cobra

Established Member
For those who don't get the magazine they are doing a B head mod series. In the first installment they took a stock 100,000 mile motor. With longtubes, electric water pump and Fast tuning program it made 335 hp on an engine dyno.

They installed a short runner (really strange looking style, different than the typical) and a single blade TB with modified intake plenum. The short runner lost more power than it made (though they admit getting 32hp on the Superfly car with the more common style) and the TB and modified lid didn't make any power, showing the stocker isn't a restriction.

More mods are in the works including cams and the such. Should be interesting to see the numbers.

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
Finally. I stopped buying that magazine because there wasn't harldy anything for these cars in there. I'll look for these issues though.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I have a subscription to the magazine, and have been thoroughly disappointed in it. Before the 05 came out, the magazine was dominated by terminator articles. Nothing wrong with that, still a Cobra. Then, the 05 came out, and now all you see in that magazine is those f'n cars. Why do all the adds have to have a 05 in them? Why is the magazine all 05? Shit, the SN95 looks a lot better than the 05 does, in my opinion.

97SVT#777

Established Member
nckissfan said:
I have a subscription to the magazine, and have been thoroughly disappointed in it. Before the 05 came out, the magazine was dominated by terminator articles. Nothing wrong with that, still a Cobra. Then, the 05 came out, and now all you see in that magazine is those f'n cars. Why do all the adds have to have a 05 in them? Why is the magazine all 05? Shit, the SN95 looks a lot better than the 05 does, in my opinion.

Because there are alot of people, with alot of money, that are alot older than most of us, that drive 05' stangs. Companies are all aimed at this crowd.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
b dub said:
on our cars do you lose or gain gas mileage with cams?

I lost mileage with mine, specs are 220/[email protected] and .450/.425 lift. However, it's a lot more fun.

I may pick up some mileage after I put on the longtubes, but then again I may just drive it harder.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
JasonSnake said:
Did they use an X or h pipe?

Neither, it was on an engine dyno.

97BlackSnake said:
When is this coming out? next month?

It started in the current issue (I just got yesterday). It should continue through several more.

I agree that there were too many Terminators and now too many 05's, but those are the cars that are new and "hip". It does get old seeing cold air and exhaust installs over and over, but I enjoy reading about the cars owned and modified by the enthusiasts.

duane v

Established Member
.....after watching them trip over themselves with Super-fly...I' stopped reading the articles....I only read mustang mags when I take my daughter to the book store....DA snake boy!!!!!

Toasty

Established Member
97SVT#777 said:
Because there are alot of people, with alot of money, that are alot older than most of us, that drive 05' stangs. Companies are all aimed at this crowd.

Yeah, and locally quite a few of them have been 'snake-bitten' by my 97. lol.

Seriously, the 05's make good power, but I don't think they know what they are getting into tangling with barely modified 96+ cobras.

Toasty

Established Member
b dub said:
on our cars do you lose or gain gas mileage with cams?

Dude, I hate to be like this, but who cares about mileage? Buy a yugo if you do.

Seriously, gas could be like $6/gal and I'd still fill up once a week.

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
Toasty said:
Dude, I hate to be like this, but who cares about mileage? Buy a yugo if you do.

Seriously, gas could be like $6/gal and I'd still fill up once a week.
because i drive a lot dude. even though we drive fast cars im still into getting good mileage. im considering a viper t56 JUST FOR THE 6th GEAR. and i know cams give decent power, however if they were able to better the mileage too, i would actually consider the 900 dollars or whatever. you do know its possible to have lots of power and decent gas mileage, right? my buddys stock ss hangs right with me and gets 27 mpg. i think thats awesome.
i was just curious about the cams

Toasty

Established Member
b dub said:
because i drive a lot dude. even though we drive fast cars im still into getting good mileage. im considering a viper t56 JUST FOR THE 6th GEAR. and i know cams give decent power, however if they were able to better the mileage too, i would actually consider the 900 dollars or whatever. you do know its possible to have lots of power and decent gas mileage, right? my buddys stock ss hangs right with me and gets 27 mpg. i think thats awesome.

Gas could be $10/gallon and I wouldnt care. :)

More power == less mileage. Sure, if you drive it like a grandma it'll get decent mileage, but how often does someone do that? I get on my car at least once a day and that will KILL any decent mileage I might have otherwise gotten.

And as far as the T-56 for extra mileage, for the extra expense of the viper install, you'll take YEARS to make back the mileage gain.

MangledAxle

Do you hear that?!
Established Member
b dub said:

gas would have to cost $20/gal or you need to drive 40k a year to recoup the cost of buying a t56 viper or spending $900 for cams. same thing holds true with buying a hydrid, it takes about 10 years before a person recoups the extra $$ it cost to buy the hybrid.

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
well i put 35k on it last year and i can get the viper spec t56 for 600(family hookup). and i dont EVER plan on getting rid of it. gas is 3.50 around here and its gonna get worse before it gets better.

97cobraheaven

Established Member
Hey CY, did you get or notice better gas mileage with your t-56? our 5th gear is the same ratio as a t-56 6th gear. LS1's get good gas mileage on the highway because of the tune and engine, not the tranny. also, LS1's get like 10mpg around town

97snake

Attorney at Law
Established Member
Im getting 225-250 a tank on all highway driving at 75-77 mph. Considering the gas tank is 15.4 gallons that is some seriously shitty milage. TO make matters worse my dad's c6 manages 27-33 mpg on the higway going the same speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread