MM&FF Pulley Install

SnakeEyes87

Established Member
Was I correct in reading my latest issue of MM&FF that they did not install a chip after they put in a new lightening pulley? It said that it really did not do anything for the air/fuel ratio, which is what I am most concerned about with the chip install. Is anyone else running a pulley & new belt w/o a chip? Is it safe? I am really unsure of installing a chip in my car due to some of the troubles people I know have had with them.

Thanks
Chelsea

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
I am putting my pulley in this weekend without a chip. I ordered a chip from South Florida but they are on back order so until I get that chip, I will be rollin on 12 lbs of boost on the stock tune :(

03DOHC

Established Member
That's what they said. Take a look at these dyno curves and decide for yourself whether or not a "chip" does anything-->Click me! JT seems to have got good results as have others.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
That's what they said. Take a look at these dyno curves and decide for yourself whether or not a "chip" does anything-->Click me! JT seems to have got good results as have others.

I looked at your timeslips 03DOHC. Nice times, and phenomenal 60 foots. Were those runs on stock GY radials?

jtfx6552

Established Member
IMO, I would not do, or not do anything based on that MM&FF article.

First, I have never, I repeat never seen as much boost as they claim to. Even with a chip.

Second, the torque curve they show without the chip looks almost exactly (as much as I can tell with that 1" x1" version published) like my car with the chip, which is drastically different than the pulley without chip curves. These curves are all shown on my website which 03DOHC has linked to above.
My a/f without chip , imo was not acceptable, much too lean in the low- mid RPM range.

JT

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by 46stang
jtfx6552: exactly what he said:lol:

I'm with JT and Leon! The bottom line is this: What are you willing to risk for a little quick fix? You CAN increase the boost without correcting your air/fuel ratio BUT I wouldn't do it. With the L upper pulley, you will run WAY TOO LEAN in the low to midrange (The upper end will still be rich so that's not a problem). With this lean mixture comes increased heat and therefore decreased longevity and greater possibilities of detonation/preignition which could lead to a more catastrophic failure. Are you willing to risk it?

The magazine tests should not be taken as gospel. Read them and digest the information but do your own research and make as informed of a decision as possible. After all, if they (the mags) break a test car, B.F.D., no biggie. If you break your car, well that would be a bummer right?

On this board alone there are tens of dyno charts from '03s with stock and increased boost, with tunes and without tunes, and with all other kinds of mods. The information is right in front of you........use it my son! :)

Seriously, good luck with your cars and :read:.

Mark Chiappetta

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville

I looked at your timeslips 03DOHC. Nice times, and phenomenal 60 foots. Were those runs on stock GY radials?
I wish I could claim to drive that well:). Those belong to jtfx6552. I hope you don't mind jt, I saw the address on your sig.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
I wish I could claim to drive that well:). Those belong to jtfx6552. I hope you don't mind jt, I saw the address on your sig.

No problem. Thanks for the compliment. I put up the site so people could see what these cars are capable of.:thumbsup:
JT

Users who are viewing this thread