MM poly vs solid rack busings

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
I was just wondering if there is a huge difference between the two. I have the poly bushings, would I regret using those over the solid bushings?

Are there any downfalls to the solid bushings?

Thanks!

94slowbra1

Established Member
i have the aluminum bushings and so far so good. i would have done the solid steering shaft at the same time but i ran out of funds. these cars can use all the help they can get tightening up the front end. no downsides so far

SlowSVT

Established Member
The downside to solid steering gear is it imposes a little more road shock to the steering rack. Nothing to loose sleep over though.

mr. b_98GT

Established Member
Funny you should ask. I just did the MM aluminum bushings over stock ones a few weeks ago, and I am happy with them but only after I fixed the installation of them today. Will probably do the MM steering shaft sometime next year. I had to go back and clear the lower part of the k member under the holes because one of the bushings was touching the k member causing binding issues. It started out as a slight popping feeling when I turned, but got worse after a few weeks of driving. Instructions from MM talk about this issue, and to use a drift punch under the mounting holes on the K member, but I just used a big old screwdriver that has a broken tip. Loosened up the steering rack bolts, loosened the steering shaft bolt, pulled the rack out some, removed the front bushings but kept the bolts in to hold the rear bushings in place, a few taps with a hammer and the old screwdriver under both holes, and then reinstall the front bushings and tighten it all back up. Problem solved, and love how the steering feels now.

I have poly bushings in my 98GT with a similar front suspension setup as the Cobra, and I have to drive both cars a little more back to back to compare them, but my initial thought was that the MM aluminum bushings felt about the same, but I think there is that slight amount of road feel or road shock like the peeps above have described. It is minimal at best, but I still need to do a little more driving to compare the two.

Last edited:

03' White Snake

Established Member
I run Hans Race Craft titanium rack bushings with no regrets. Steering feels much more responsive. Solid is the way to go.

Weslsew

Established Member
I just did the prothane rack bushings and they are a huge improvement over the stock ones. Best upgrade you can do for $15

Users who are viewing this thread