MMR 5.3 Stroker Finally on the way

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Well I'm sure allot of you (those that have read my previous threads) have been waiting for an update on my 5.3 stroker MMR engine which has run into some hiccups. It is finally scheduled to be shipped and I hope to have it within the next 7-10 business days, I'm assuming thats the standard shipping time, it might take a little longer coming from California.

Well, MMR has helped out along the way and fixed my motor from top to bottom, I even opted to have the 2500RR piston coating done to the engine as well. They covered my motor as a full warranty regardless, which was a damn reasonable thing to do. T'hey do stand by their product and they do stand by their warranty, which is extremely important when looking at a business. They installed all new components in the engine and its ready to turn key and fire up.

I plan to have a major update once the engine is finally installed in the car. It is being sent directly to Torq in miramar for the install and tune. This has been a long ordeal, but I'm glad MMR has helped me out with what could have been major upset overall. I'm sure we all have our own opinions, but in the end, they have made it right by me personally, but the chapter will not truly close until I hear this monster fire up AGAIN! updates to follow and thanks MMR for working with me. It's not over yet, but I have a good feeling that this thing is rock solid.

Phillip

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We would like to chime in on "Hangmans" original post in which MANY people quickly jumped on the internet bandwagon and said that our product failed, others gave kudos for fixing the engine but still referred to it as an MMR failure. While we would like to thank those that gave kind words make no mistake, this was not a MMR failure. The pistons were ALL melted, not just one as originally shown by the OP. The worst of the pistons was the one the OP originally posted. He did however fail to show the other side of the piston showing the indents from the spark plug that had also burned up and fallen into the chamber (also caused by detonation). See pictures Below:

LG2.jpg

Spark plug electrode indents in piston:

lg1.jpg

As for the comments in regards to us putting that piston into the engine the way it was shown is simply ludicrous, especially considering the OP had posted dyno sheets making great power on this very same website only a short time earlier.

Bottom line, this engine failed due to a poor tune and nothing more, normally we do not point fingers but when we have been bashed as we were in the OP's original post we are not going to sit back and allow people to be told something that is simply not true.

We take any engine failure very seriously and bottom line is this was not a MMR failure in any way shape or form, but against our better judgement in this particular case MMR helped this customer as a courtesy and for no other reason.

We would like to thank the OP for posting his satisfaction but hope that this message educates others to understand that it doesn't matter who builds the engine or how new or old it is, if the tune is no good the result will be the same every time and you may not find a company as understanding as MMR to help you.

Best of luck to the OP in getting her fired up and running again!

MMR Management

Jerry03cobra

Established Member
Glad to here MMR helped out. I got a MMR 1500 long block and it's making over 900 hp no problems and those guy's will try and help you out over the phone too.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Damn!! That piston looks horrible. :(

MMR Big kudos for you guys.. You guys stepped up when you didn't have to. that is clearly tuning issues for sure.. Well done guys. :beer:

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
Good stuff MMR !!!! So let me get this straight... OP , who TUNED the car ? Paul meister ? Tooner at fault and MMR backed you up regardless ! Good work again MMR .... BTW OP I thought IKE at MPR WAS doing your install . Good luck with the final step and I hope you enjoy that beast once is dialed in again :)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Damn!! That piston looks horrible. :(

MMR Big kudos for you guys.. You guys stepped up when you didn't have to. that is clearly tuning issues for sure.. Well done guys. :beer:

Ditto!

Yeah, in my mind I was thinking there was no way some little scratches and a slight dent in the piston top was going to cause that massive of a piston melt down.

I am very glad MMR stepped up and covered this though because even a very slight imperfection in the combustion chamber(piston top) can trigger detonation on ragged edge, high boost, high power builds.:beer::rockon:

96juicedGT

Established Member
^^^ Agreed.

I have bought several things from MMR and have always had great service and no problems at all.

Mystic03

Established Member
good to see mmr stood up and took care of people definetly will be contacting you for a motor build in the future. do you do aluminator builds?

POPPAJ

Established Member
Seems as though MMR went a bit too far when the problem was not theirs. Now every crybaby will be expecting the same treatment. Just sayin' :shrug:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Seems as though MMR went a bit too far when the problem was not theirs. Now every crybaby will be expecting the same treatment. Just sayin' :shrug:

We agree 100% with your statement. Someone may or may not have the same outcome in a similar case but one thing is certain and that is we will not be taken advantage of or extorted. We will also mention this to anyone having a problem with MMR or any other vendor - Do not shoot first and ask questions later (as in - make a post and then contact the vendor), most vendors tolerance including our own for this is very low and you will simply hurt your own chances of getting issues resolved.

Thank you again for those that have chimed in on this thread and the original on our behalf.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
good to see mmr stood up and took care of people definetly will be contacting you for a motor build in the future. do you do aluminator builds?

Thank you, and yes, we sure do, please PM or email us regarding your goals and we are happy to set you up with what you need.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
As a fellow MMR shortblock owner I'm glad to hear they stepped up and helped you out even when they didn't have to. I also have a 5.3 from them and it's been holding up just fine to a little over 900rwhp.

Justin503

MMR 5.3 Boss Block Power?

Glad to here all the good rep for MMR. I had my motor blow on my 07 GT and ordered a 5.3L Boss block and sent my heads in for Stage 3 port and polish. What kind of horsepower can I excpect from this set up? Also I have a Roush M90 supercharger on it with the stock headers. Alot of people are saying the boost will drop from 5lbs to about 2lbs and make less power due to the stroker 5.3L? Any thoughts?
:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread