Mod Motor Aluminum Road Race Oil Pan

SlowSVT

Established Member
I got side tracked from working on my chassis but it was in a good way and thought some of you might enjoy seeing the progress on my new oil pan.

What I’m basically doing here is copying the Canton Road Race pan in aluminum with a few improvements. The major benefit is the cooling effect the aluminum with have on the oil as well as the engine itself. I’m a big fan of passive cooling, 1/3 of the engine heat is radiated to ambient off the external surfaces so in effect the engine is air cooled almost as much as it is water cooled. Not many people think of engine cooling from this prospective but that's a pretty huge number. This pan will have the same effect as a small oil cooler where I might even be tempted to scrap factory oil-to-water cooler rather than dumping that heat into the coolant for the rad to deal with. The baffling here is designed to maximize the amount of oil around the pick-up under “G” in all directions

This is probably not worth the effort for most but I enjoy doing this kind of thing and its fun figuring out where you can make improvements.

This pile of metal is everything needed to get started with some assembly required. It’s mainly 3/16” thick 6061 with ½” thk flanges and the bottom is ¼” to protect it in the event of bottoming out the pan. The baffles are 1/8”. 5052 was used where I needed to make bends. The metal was sourced from Industrial Metal Supply ……… of course! I made cardboard cutout patterns and transferred them to the aluminum plate. The metal was cut with a jig saw using a coarse blade.

Oil%20Pan%20Road%20Race%20Aluminum%201_zpsskdgpdh6.jpg

Here I laid out the cut pieces to give you a better scope on where everything fits together.

Oil%20Pan%20Road%20Race%20Aluminum%202_zpsldovrpkl.jpg

Here is the sump fit check. Note the baffled oil trap. This is one area of improvement I made over the Canton pan which has a strip of metal running along the bottom of the trap door which will impede oil flow into the chamber. I maxed the size of the box allowing for a higher volume of oil surrounding the pick-up and there is no obstruction on the floor of the pan. Any oil that wants to slosh to the other side of pan during high G’s will have to pass thru this box where it will get trapped. I added gussets to reinforce the bottom of the sump and to minimize oil sloshing around in each chamber.

Oil%20Pan%20Road%20Race%20Aluminum%203_zps2aslszrx.jpg

This is a lot of work that pile of metal took me 2 weekends and perhaps a few nights in between to get to that stage. Cutting, fitting and then prepping everything for welding. The thick flanges are to allow for facing off the top flat in the event of warping from all the welding though I don’t think I’m going to be a problem with ½” plate (I’ll skim it down to 3/8” thk when finished).

I’m off to the TIG welder on Saturday. This won’t be finished for a few weeks there is a lot of welding involved here, more fitting, machining and pressure testing. There is also a cover that caps off the sump that prevents oil from splashing away from the sump that needs to be made. This is going to be one bad ass mo fo mod motor wet sump, I’ll post pics as I make progress.

:rockon:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Very cool Russ.

With all this work I expect you to drive the snot out of this car......

SlowSVT

Established Member
Troy

For me the journey is half the fun.

I'm off to the welders right now, I'll post pics when I get back.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Didn’t get as much welding done yesterday as I hoped but it’s a good start. The flange managed to stay nice and flat but welding the side panels may prove to be challenging. Having such a long span 3/16” thk panel being welded to a 1/2” plate resulted in a crack in one of the welds due to shrink induced stress when the part cooled. That was the first weld onto the flange so we allowed for shorter weld intervals and longer cool down on the 2nd side plate and that side didn’t crack. Luckily it was a surface crack and didn’t propagate thru the weld after I ground it down to be re-welded. We’re going to clamp another piece of aluminum across the side plates to prevent it from cooling so much quicker than the thick plate flange to even the shrinkage rates.

Oil%20Pan%20Road%20Race%20Aluminum%204_zpsztaqilmw.jpg

Stress crack
Oil%20Pan%20Road%20Race%20Aluminum%205_zpsy2eck5oy.jpg

The trap doors were rubbing on the OD hinges which I just filed down until they swung free. I will mill the edges of the vertical plates to set the depth of the sump floor and bottom plate to match the factory pan so it’s flush with the bottom of the K-member. Aluminum of like working with clay, you can’t really screw it up because it’s easy to fix. It’s fun to watch what started out sheets of plate aluminum morph into something like this.

Earlier picture of fitting the plates next to the Canton pan

Oil%20Pan%20Road%20Race%20Aluminum%206_zpsnh1serw8.jpg

Here is the pan I made for Troy based on the 5.8 GT500 pan. This is quite a bit more robust then the "eggshell" factory casting. I was making 2 of these in parallel until I realized what I want to do as in this thread would have made things to complex so I just finished the 1.

58oilpan69_zps26d9aa11.jpg

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Still loving my pan Russ and glad you added that extra plate of steal on the bottom!

SlowSVT

Established Member
:nono: No steel in your pan Troy I would have refuse on principal alone but you do have the same bash plate as I do. Your pan did turn turned out well and is probably the 2nd nicest wet sump mod motor pan on the planet. Ford is now using molded plastic pans. Not really a big fan of that, I wonder what the composition of the plastic will be after 20 years of heat cycles. Nothing sponges-up heat like aluminum other than copper and diamond. That's the big kahuna aluminum has over steel and plastic.

Question: Have you changed your oil yet? The reason I ask is I'm using the other bung I made next to yours. I wanted it flow fast enough to sweep-up and clear any particles clinging to the bottom. Me thinks that huge drain bolt will empty the pan less then 10 seconds and I'm not sure if I went overboard thinking you would need a raincoat before doing this job.

Is the drain open too large or just right?

........... I've wondered if your cussing me out at every oil change or not :cuss:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
:nono: No steel in your pan Troy I would have refuse on principal alone but you do have the same bash plate as I do. Your pan did turn turned out well and is probably the 2nd nicest wet sump mod motor pan on the planet. Ford is now using molded plastic pans. Not really a big fan of that, I wonder what the composition of the plastic will be after 20 years of heat cycles. Nothing sponges-up heat like aluminum other than copper and diamond. That's the big kahuna aluminum has over steel and plastic.

Question: Have you changed your oil yet? The reason I ask is I'm using the other bung I made next to yours. I wanted it flow fast enough to sweep-up and clear any particles clinging to the bottom. Me thinks that huge drain bolt will empty the pan less then 10 seconds and I'm not sure if I went overboard thinking you would need a raincoat before doing this job.

Is the drain open too large or just right?

........... I've wondered if your cussing me out at every oil change or not :cuss:

My apologies on the late reply.

Ive drained once and the oil is rushing out that drain plug like water rushing out of a fully open dam

SlowSVT

Established Member
LOL

Sounds like it works as intended.

The welder did not report for work on Saturday so I got no welding done this weekend. I’m making the brake cooling duct oil cooler and thermostat mounting brackets now which I plan on starting a thread outlining the details for future reference.

I ordered the oil level sensor from Taska which should be here on Wednesday. I cut a welding bung for it but need to find a 20mm x 1.5mm tap which is not very common.

Is it just me or is this site becoming unworkable? It keeps locking-up the browser :cuss:

Users who are viewing this thread