Modified stock Eaton. Shaved and wrinkled

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
In anticipation of having my car tuned at Horsepower by Hermann this winter I have begun to modify an extra Eaton I picked up over the summer. It was originally ported by Steggy and then re-ported and rebuilt by Posi. First, I used a Dewalt angle grinder and shaved both the Ford and SVT off the face. I then sanded the whole thing with 600 grit sand paper and cleaned it thoroughly with caliper cleaner and a toothbrush. I taped off the areas I didn't want to paint with green painters tape and trimmed it with a razor blade. Proceeded with 3 heavy coats of VHT Wrinkle paint. The key is HEAVY coats in a cross hatch pattern. When first applied it appears smooth and glossy. It doesn't begin to wrinkle until after an hour or so. For the best outcome paint it in warmer weather. I allowed it dry in the sun. Now onto the pics...

Shaved face and taped off...

15209847107_44f243384a_c.jpg

15396338285_6979069042_c.jpg

First coat...

15393163731_710d7d34b1_c.jpg

About 2hrs after the final coat was applied. Starting to wrinkle...

15396342335_d4807feff3_c.jpg

And 24hrs later. Still a little tacky. The VHT wrinkle paint is extremely slow drying but that's normal...

15209888417_b8041e23bf_c.jpg

I'm happy with the outcome so far. I'll post another pic once its completely dry. I have new Pro Weld snout bolts at the powder coater that will be going on in a week or so. Blower won't go on the car for another couple months, probably January or Feb.

Last edited:

Bigggy

Established Member
Great job! I also did mine this summer + the valve cover ans I have to say..I love this finish! And the best thing is that it does not look dirty at all even if it is a bit, so less engine cleaner. :)

IMG_20140809_173440.jpg

IMG_20140809_173455.jpg

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Thanks guys

Great job! I also did mine this summer + the valve cover ans I have to say..I love this finish! And the best thing is that it does not look dirty at all even if it is a bit, so less engine cleaner. :)

IMG_20140809_173440.jpg

IMG_20140809_173455.jpg

That looks awesome. I'm powder coating the valve covers in a secret color but I still need to wrinkle my Dragon plenum.

Jefe

Established Member
Looks cool! Cant wait to see it installed

Bigggy

Established Member
You made the same mistake I made..taped oof everything, but it will show too much IMO. When I saw that I just spray some paint in the can's cap and brush the paint on the surface. There is a small difference, but I think it look better like this than with aluminium spot.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Looks awesome. I like the shaved front gives it a clean look

I agree and I'm a big fan of subtle touches.

You made the same mistake I made..taped oof everything, but it will show too much IMO. When I saw that I just spray some paint in the can's cap and brush the paint on the surface. There is a small difference, but I think it look better like this than with aluminium spot.

Yeah I realized that right after I finished. I'll touch it all up once its on the car. Shouldn't be too bad.

Glad you got it finished! So much cleaner with the snout shaved!

Thanks for the tips.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Looks great Nate. Can't wait to see the new OW terminator and all the goodies you plan to add to it in person.

Thanks man, I will probably be at Katies cars and coffee on Saturday. Definitely the Catoctin Cruise on the 26th. Blower won't be on the car yet.

WildFifty

Established Member
Thanks man, I will probably be at Katies cars and coffee on Saturday. Definitely the Catoctin Cruise on the 26th. Blower won't be on the car yet.

Cool sounds good. I'm planning to be at Katie's too on sat morning. Hopefully they finished up all that construction work they had going on last weekend on great falls.

ctgreddy

Established Member
Looks awesome. that paint rocks. I did my valve covers and coil covers with it. You can help it dry faster and wrinkle more if you put it in the oven at like 225 for a little bit. i did that to my vc's and turned out awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread