Modifying an Explorer aluminum cover to fit any 8.8

acobra03

Established Member
I know this is an old post but just wanted to thank Tob for posting. I picked up an old explorer cover and completed the modification to it today. Piece of cake. I'm waiting for the paint to dry before I sand off the ribs and edges. My 2009 started doing the one wheel peel after my last outing at Atco Raceway so I'm switching to a true trak and 3.73's. Does anyone have anything to say about the true track versus a locker?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ah yes. That's an early Explorer cover as evidenced by the large drain plug. I think the first one I did utilized an early cover as well, some 8 years ago under the title "cover your rear but still allow access" title.:p

Make sure you clean the threads up where the plugs go.

Good luck with it!

acobra03

Established Member
I left the plugs in place. The breather tube was broken off so I'll have to remove remaining sleeve. Do you think a rubber plug would do the trick?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Mmmm....not really. Any excess pressure due to a clogged vent or otherwise and pphhhttt...there goes the rubber plug. Flip back and look at the drill/tap size I used along with NPT plug. Inexpensive and simple to do. Or add another vent there.

acobra03

Established Member
I saw that part of the post. I guess a few extra minutes of work to do it properly would be time well spent. Thanks again Tob.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
100B1920.jpg

100B1970.jpg

100B1950.jpg

They fit with the Fays Watts link, but special attention must be given to the ribs to ensure they are cut down far enough.

Users who are viewing this thread