Modifying stock cobra

mth180

Established Member
Hey everybody, I've been trolling the site for awhile and finally decided to register and pump it up. I currently drive a '04 mystichrome cobra convertable, which has 8,000 miles on it. I finally got some money to toy around with and have 5,000-10,000 dollars to buy some toys for it. I was wondering what everyone thought I should spend my money on to get the most bang for my buck. Thanks everyone! :D

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Do a search on mods. Most do upgrades in the following order (CAI..... Catback.......then pulley + tune)

snake134

if you've been trolling this site for a while you should know what the basic bolt-ons are....and you should also know not to post these kind of threads because people have already answered this question hundreds of times....but to answer your question
1. catback
2. mid pipe
3. cai (k&n fipk or jlt are the best choices)
4 maximum motersports full length subframe connectors(available at lethalpermormance.com)
5. pulley and tune(Billetflow and SCT)

Happy Modding :D

mth180

Established Member
Sorry for posting a thread like this :( didn't mean to upset anybody. Thank you for the answers! I'll try to dig a little deeper before I ask a question again.

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
1. catback
2. cai
3. maximum motersports full length subframe connectors
4. Billetflow or RR pulley and tune
5. billetflow idlers
6. even flow cooling mod
7. dual pass heat exchanger
8. lowering springs

At least that is my list of things I am going to do, thanksfully I can cross off 1,2,4&5

Last edited:

SteelersVenom06

Fade to Black
Established Member
Add an IRS brace and drag radials/better tires to the above lists. My stock pulley car is helpless through first and most of second gear, I couldn't imagine driving a pullied car without DR's.

More power isn't very beneficial if you can't put it to the ground. With 5-10k to spend, do it right, focus on maintenance mods (cooling, suspension, etc), then go crazy with power.

Welcome to the site.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
mth180 said:
Hey everybody, I've been trolling the site for awhile and finally decided to register and pump it up. I currently drive a '04 mystichrome cobra convertable, which has 8,000 miles on it. I finally got some money to toy around with and have 5,000-10,000 dollars to buy some toys for it. I was wondering what everyone thought I should spend my money on to get the most bang for my buck. Thanks everyone! :D

Put a street type roll bar in it and take it to an open track event.

The most POWERFUL MOD you can perform would be the mod between the seat and steering wheel!!!

The legendary driver mod!!! This mod rules over all others!!!

You also will never really know what bang for the buck is until you do an open track event in a bone stock Terminator(w/fresh pads, brake fluid and decent tires)

You will not believe the improvement in speed and lap times without spending one single dime on mods!!!

The mods you can do later... if you want. That's what I did.:rockon:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Whipple or KB with supporting mods, wheels, DRs, springs, SFCs, exhaust, intake, IRS brace.
Dont worry about guys bitchin about searching.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Regardless of the mod's you want the two you definately need are an IRS brace and subframe connectors! On the subframe connectors don't get MMFLSC's! The reason is our convertibles need more than that. I have them on my car and on a lift it's still a noodle! So get more bracing from the get go so you don't have to go back and add more like me!

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
Whipple or KB with supporting mods, wheels, DRs, springs, SFCs, exhaust, intake, IRS brace.
Dont worry about guys bitchin about searching.

+1

If you have that much money to work with definitely upgrade your supercharger to a KB or Whipple. I wouldnt waste my time with a pulley upgrade with that kind of $$$ to work with and everything else 04MystiCobra said.

mth180

Established Member
ok so far what I'm going to get will be:

1. kb or whipple Supercharger
2. CAI (JLT)
3. IRS brace
4. Subframe connectors
5. catback
6. pulley (do i still need this with a new supercharger?)
7. NOS setup if I have any extra money

Does this build sound good? I'm new to actually modding a car and don't want to screw up my first time. Thank you guys so much your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Unless you're looking for 700hp. to the wheels you won't need the Nitrous. You'll have at least 600hp. with either the Whipple or the KB. You need to get a MGW shifter also. Then realize that if you're even moderately hard on the car your clutch isn't going to last long with that power.

mth180

Established Member
So if I did get those I would then want a clutch that could handle higher torque and hp numbers? Or can the stock one handle it in the 600s

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
mth180 said:
ok so far what I'm going to get will be:

1. kb or whipple Supercharger
2. CAI (anyone know a particularly good brand?)
3. IRS brace
4. Subframe connectors
5. catback
6. pulley (do i still need this with a new supercharger?)
7. NOS setup if I have any extra money

Does this build sound good? I'm new to actually modding a car and don't want to screw up my first time. Thank you guys so much your help is greatly appreciated.

Looking good here, you'll also need 60# injectors, MAF (SCT2800), KB Boost a Pump, idlers with lower pulley (2 or 4#), shifter, cooling mod's, etc.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
KingCobra03SVT said:
+1

If you have that much money to work with definitely upgrade your supercharger to a KB or Whipple. I wouldnt waste my time with a pulley upgrade with that kind of $$$ to work with and everything else 04MystiCobra said.

+1

catback, midpipe, intake, plugs, injectors, SCT tuner, SCT 2400 mass air, twin ford GT pumps, with dual FPDM harness, IRS brace, springs, subframes, heat exchanger and IC reservoir, LDC/even flow cooling mods, shifter, drag radials, and last but not least KB/whipple.

others to consider: IRS bushings, level 5 rear half-shafts, 26 spline tranny input shaft, and clutch.

mth180

Established Member
Could someone explain the differance between a catback and a midpipe. I wan looking at www.americanmuscle.com and to me, not knowing that much about exhaust, the midpipe and catback kits look the same. Sorry for the probably stupid question but I'm still learning :)

~Edit: maybe there is someone I can pm who wouldn't mind helping me learn a little bit. I don't want to post some questions in here that will probably be considered common knowledge

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
The exhaust is broken down into 3 sections. Manifolds or headers at the front, mid-pipe (in the middle) and cat back the aft 1/3. All 3 sections add power and sound. The supporting mods I spoke of in my first post should include the fuel sys and clutch. You'll need both for sure.

Last edited:

speeddemon2000

Established Member
1. KB 2.6L at 15psi.
2. Boost a pump.
3. 60 lbs Injectors.
4. Mafia.
5. BF Idlers.
6. JLT High boost CIA.
7. basinni O/R X.
8. Magnaflow cat-back.
9. BF IRS Brace.

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
if you are going to spend 5-10, then set yourself up with a twinscrew and supporting mods. dont play with little pully's go for the good stuff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread