mods, mods which ones first and thoughts on benefits

Requis

Established Member
I was wondering if anyone would mind commenting on these mods, and or provide some thoughts on order of priority and if they would be safe given what we now know about the car.

1) 1 Piece drive shaft either aluminum or carbon fiber..what are your thoughts on this type of MOD?

2) METCO Pulley Swap / with Tensioner? to reduce belt slippage...just getting up to speed on this one. Any thoughts you can offer would be great!

3) Long tubes with CATBACK exhaust...what exactly would be the benefit of a long tube, not familiar with this description... or source as to who makes, and what is a long tube...I get that its an exhaust component but whats the value.

4) Cold Air intake...Who has the best one available for the Shelby and what are your thoughts on this mod.

5) Tuning...Okay I am struggling with this one there seems to be any number of reputable tuner type devices/ chips etc...how do you know a good one from a bad one...and should you buy the programmer with the tune..most have said deffinitely. Not sure either way what are your thoughts on buidling a good safe tune that takes into consideration the above mods..and in what order would it make sense to do these things.

I spoke with a number of the shops that have been posting about their capabilities on this site just to get a feel and it seems there is an eagerness to do it all...just curious where to start?

Thanks for your help!

cheers,

Requis
:beer:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Hey Barry, got your PM, I'll get back to you by the end of the weekend. Sorry, been sick and busy as hell:)

Requis

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Hey Barry, got your PM, I'll get back to you by the end of the weekend. Sorry, been sick and busy as hell:)

No worries Andy when you get a chance would love to get your thoughts!

I know how it goes, I thought I'd see what others think of my plans and the order.

Hard to believe we're heading into thanksgiving over here...the second sign the summer has long since passed.

Cheers,

Barry

Requis

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
are you going to chart progress?

i would go with long tubes, with off road h pipe if legal, and dyno tune with air fuel ratio.

That was the plan, one at a time, and a set of dyno test after each..to see where I'm going...can you elaborate on long tubes...2.5 inch, 3.0 Inch...description?...it may sound like I know what I'm doing but I'm learning something new every day..and what a rush. Forgot to mention 3.73 gears wondering where in the order that should likely be?

Thanks for any help insight!

Cheers,

Barry

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Barry:

What exactly are your plans for the car? Is this a driver? A weekend racer? Just a toy?

From what I can see, you're definitely going to want a tune on this car. Add an axle back if you're looking for a better sound. CAI would be a Tucker piece once he gets them into production.

The drive shaft is probably an ok idea? Again, depending on the plans for the car? Long tubes? Only if you're seriously racing IMHO.

Congrats and good luck!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Requis

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Barry:

What exactly are your plans for the car? Is this a driver? A weekend racer? Just a toy?

From what I can see, you're definitely going to want a tune on this car. Add an axle back if you're looking for a better sound. CAI would be a Tucker piece once he gets them into production.

The drive shaft is probably an ok idea? Again, depending on the plans for the car? Long tubes? Only if you're seriously racing IMHO.

Congrats and good luck!

Thats a great question...more a toy than anything else, my summer car turned hot rod I guess. Interestingly enough I am set to race this summer a couple of friends who both have corvettes, (z06) and they frequently race, while I'm just getting going..its all in good fun so I suspect I'll be racing on weekends as well in preperation. Not actually planning on winning, but making a good showing for myself...and in the end having fun.

The point of the post was to see what MOD makes sense to prioritize, and in what order to be able to measure, and educate myself as I go through this process of understanding the benefits of the mods I make to my car.

Thanks for taking the time to post, you mentiond two items that I'm curious about one was the Tucker Tune...can you post information on this particular tune. The other is the long tube notion...what exactly are folks talking about when they talk about long tubes...I have access to a number of companies that all manufacturer with stainless steele...the problem I'm having is this analygy around custom off road pipes, and long tubes...whats being implied here...going away from the Xpipe...the plan was to look at a CAT back exhaust...thanks for the edification!

Cheers,

Barry

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Requis said:
Thats a great question...more a toy than anything else, my summer car turned hot rod I guess. Interestingly enough I am set to race this summer a couple of friends who both have corvettes, (z06) and they frequently race, while I'm just getting going..its all in good fun so I suspect I'll be racing on weekends as well in preperation. Not actually planning on winning, but making a good showing for myself...and in the end having fun.

The point of the post was to see what MOD makes sense to prioritize, and in what order to be able to measure, and educate myself as I go through this process of understanding the benefits of the mods I make to my car.

Thanks for taking the time to post, you mentiond two items that I'm curious about one was the Tucker Tune...can you post information on this particular tune. The other is the long tube notion...what exactly are folks talking about when they talk about long tubes...I have access to a number of companies that all manufacturer with stainless steele...the problem I'm having is this analygy around custom off road pipes, and long tubes...whats being implied here...going away from the Xpipe...the plan was to look at a CAT back exhaust...thanks for the edification!

Cheers,

Barry

Barry:

If your Pals in the Z06's are accomplished drivers and you're just starting out, don't be too disappointed with the results when you guys hit the track! As long as it's just in good fun, you'll be fine!

I think the most important mod for this car would be the tune. Then the Tucker (we've talked about it in numerous threads, it's just not in production as yet) CAI (cold air intake) because it should be a decent gain for the investment.

"Long Tubes" are headers. IMHO they would be reserved for racers and people looking to gain that slight extra edge? The exhaust system on these cars does not seem that restrictive? Although it's a little too quiet for my liking.

If you're going on track with the car I would look into some sort of front brake cooling set-up.

Cheers!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Requis said:
That was the plan, one at a time, and a set of dyno test after each..to see where I'm going...can you elaborate on long tubes...2.5 inch, 3.0 Inch...description?...it may sound like I know what I'm doing but I'm learning something new every day..and what a rush. Forgot to mention 3.73 gears wondering where in the order that should likely be?

Thanks for any help insight!

Cheers,

Barry

there are better people to ask than me. such as andy.:idea: generally long tubes will give more than just a little power. the c6 z06s were adding something like 40 to the tires with a good set of long tubes. they can get expensive though.
first you need to look at the emissions laws in canada. you dont want to be changing your exhaust every time you need to test emissions. also there will be lots of specific gt500 headers created. wait for some test reviews, correct fit is a huge issue. there will be reviews on various gt500 headers out be early 07.

good luck, and have fun with it. there is no rush!

termntr

torchredtermntr
Established Member
i would contact eveolution however u spell it. the vids on streetfire.com its that black shelby thats already in the tens.. those guys seem real cool and started off modding that car one step at a time..thats just my two cents...

Users who are viewing this thread