Modular 427

Lycosa

Established Member
Has anybody else thought about what this would be like? I was just pondering the idea and wonder what it would even go in. I haven't dug into it so I am not sure if they already have one made. What are your opinions on how it will perform and the numbers it would put down?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Can't happen with the bore spacing limits of the 5.0 block. But if you bored/stroked a 6.2 block and put good 4V heads on it and it maintained the specific output of the Coyote, you'd be looking at a 588 hp engine. Sounds like it would stomp on the Z06!

420/5 = 84 hp/L
84 x 7 = 588 hp

Lycosa

Established Member
Can't happen with the bore spacing limits of the 5.0 block. But if you bored/stroked a 6.2 block and put good 4V heads on it and it maintained the specific output of the Coyote, you'd be looking at a 588 hp engine. Sounds like it would stomp on the Z06!

420/5 = 84 hp/L
84 x 7 = 588 hp

Now imagine supercharging it like a cobra or gt500. That would be something.

Jroc

Established Member

420/5 = 84 hp/L
84 x 7 = 588 hp

4v heads aren't a requirement for the 6.2. It's heads in budget truck motor form already flow way better than a Modulars 2v heads. 4v a cylinder are necessary to make a small bore motor like a Modular have an efficient topend, but really a requirement on a large bore motor like a Boss 6.2 or LSx as you can fit much bigger valves in them.

Last edited:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The engineers at Rolls Royce and Allison would disagree with you. The Merlin and the Allison V12 were both 4-valve engines, and they redlined under 4,000rpm.

Pratt and Whitney spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to make a 4-valve head for their radial engines, because of the limits of two-valves. They figured it out, but it was way too expensive ever to put in production.

A few years back, Jim Feuling did make a 4-valve head for Harley V-twins, and you couldn't beat them.

4v heads aren't a requirement for the 6.2. It's heads in budget truck motor form already flow way better than a Modulars 2v heads. 4v a cylinder are necessary to make a small bore motor like a Modular have an efficient topend, but really a requirement on a large bore motor like a Boss 6.2 or LSx as you can fit much bigger valves in them.

mrlrd1

Established Member
Has anybody else thought about what this would be like? I was just pondering the idea and wonder what it would even go in. I haven't dug into it so I am not sure if they already have one made. What are your opinions on how it will perform and the numbers it would put down?

Ford made a 413" modular...:dw: Granted it was a 2V truck engine, but it was no different from any other 2V - quite unimpressive.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Ford made a 413" modular...:dw: Granted it was a 2V truck engine, but it was no different from any other 2V - quite unimpressive.

Ya but that was a V10 which required power sapping balance shafts. Little known fact is that they had a 3V non-VCT version of that engine that made 362/457. A 4V version with variable valve timing could have easily made 450/500.

Lycosa

Established Member
Don Bowles already did a 7.0L based off the new 6.2L about 3 years ago. Was a Roush project that was running on E85 and running 8's N/A.

Ford Mustang Roush Powered By E85 - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

Don Bowles Ford Experimental Engine

I should have phrased it a little better. What I meant was a stock 427 made by ford and put into a production vehicle. That is a heavily modified moduler 7.0 but not what I meant. On a side note, that car is sick.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Jon Kaase built an N/A 5.4 and stroked it to 409ci. The engine made 720 horsepower N/A with 4 valve heads.

kaase2.jpg

truefiveo

Established Member

420/5 = 84 hp/L
84 x 7 = 588 hp

Yea too bad its just a pipe dream and the LS7 still stomps any Ford NA production motor in power and fuel efficiency.

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
Yea too bad its just a pipe dream and the LS7 still stomps any Ford NA production motor in power and fuel efficiency.

Yeah you're right the "efficient" 1.19 hp per cubic inch LS7 crushes all fords NA especially the coyote at 1.39 hp per cubic inch. 30+ mpg at 3700 lb with driver is rough on the pocket book too

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member

I'm with Snover on this one. I've read repeatedly that four valves are inherently better than two for one simple fact. Air going around the larger valve in a two valve has to go down the intake runner and effectively make a larger, more flow-reducing 90 degree turn to get around the valve. Smaller valves don't have as large a distance between the valve stem and outer valve edge, adding up to higher air flow. I doubt there's any reason to believe that this is any difference for a big bore engine.

Users who are viewing this thread