More representation fromt he other side of the pond

shrike

Established Member
Since people are posting Holdens here (G8's), I thought it fitting for my first post to be the competition - more Aussie muscle.

My recently acquired 04 Ford XR8 ute. Shares a lot in common with performance fords over in the States, so hopefully I can end up buying some various bits and pieces here to bolt onto her...

IMAG0008a.jpg

If it were to be available in America, the sedan version woould be a direct competitor to the G8, and this (a new Ranchero?) would have competed with the G8 ST. Sadly it seems neither would be heading over.

30052009411.jpg

It's powered by a naturally aspirated "Boss 260" (fancy Ford Australia name for a 350hp version of the Cobra R 5.4L modular) which it appears to take very VERY well to supercharging. so that'll be my first step.

IMAG0014-1.jpg

Already very lively and fun since it has little weight in the back, a blower will either give me a huge grin or wrap me around a pole. Either way...

IMAG0007.jpg

Last edited:

shrike

Established Member
They threw the MAF back into the parts bin and went with a MAP only.

Surprised me too, but makes some things easier!

shrike

Established Member
I actually think that is very cool looking!!! I would think you would be able to get some parts for it...

I've checked, and so far it looks like most of the drivetrain will match up with things coming off later Mustangs/Cobras.

There's a mob here that makes intake lowers for Eaton M112 and M122 superchargers straight off the equivalent motors, and I wouldn't be surprised if other bits bolt on too. ECUs are different, but nothing a flash tune can't fix!

Yes, the good old Coupe Utility (or ute, pronounced "yoot"), created by Ford in the 1930's because a farmer's wife wanted a single car for the farm - one her husband could haul loads in during the week, and where they could all pile in on sunday to go to church. Has now become a bit of an Australian tradition.

I would have preferred an XR8 sedan (same front end, but with 2 extra doors and a trunk instead of a tray) but I figured "why not?"

And don't get me started on cars we cant get here, Stig - pretty much anything from the small UK performance companies are disallowed here. We don't get any of the nice American muscle either unless they're classics that are imported, and even then prices here are ridiculous...

Last edited:

shrike

Established Member
heh, thanks, guys.

Yeah utes are a bit of a polarising subject, even here in Oz. Probably even moreso in places they don't exist!

shrike

Established Member
does it have an alloy block ? just wondering is shipping high to the u.s???

no, it's still the old iron block.

As long as something goes general freight, it wouldn't be too bad. in my experience, as long as you're not trying to squeeze anything more than a motorbike front rim or a blower through USPS or FedEx it's not too painful...

supercarkiller

griggsg40svt
Established Member
badass motor there is no doubt. but that thing is horrible. u guys still get some cool shit that we will never see here. thanks for sharing.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
no, it's still the old iron block.

As long as something goes general freight, it wouldn't be too bad. in my experience, as long as you're not trying to squeeze anything more than a motorbike front rim or a blower through USPS or FedEx it's not too painful...

If you ship that car as one you wouldn't be able to get it licensed. You'd have to cut the car in half and ship it in two containers and then transfer all the parts onto another chassis to sneak around regulations and get it licensed which won't work because we don't have a matching chassis here.

That's a sweet car though man. Anything that has to do with the Falcons is cool with me.:rockon:

Isn't there a guy making 1150whp in one of those but on the turbo 6?

Users who are viewing this thread