More tire questions for stock wheels

johnny--2k

Daily Grind...
Established Member
OK, I searched a few times, maybe not hard enough or the right terms, but I found jack squat.

What is the widest tire that will fit the OEM 17X9 wheel w/o modification to the car (rolled fenders etc...), and what is recommended? I have put 2000 miles on my car and I hate these crapyear eagle f1's. :cuss:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
John

Jroc

Established Member
I use to really like my Nitto 555R rear, and GY F1 GS front tire combo.

I ran 315/35/17 Nitto 555R's on the back. These tires will easily dead hook first with your mods, and should late about 10K maybe a little more, plus their decent in the rain, and don't handle bad either.

No modding required for me.

103ftd2.jpg

o79dao.jpg

2h73teb.jpg

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Putting anything wider than 275's (285's for Nittos) on stock 9" wheels is pointless. You gain nothing. You actually lose contact patch compared to properly sized wheel/tire combos.

johnny--2k

Daily Grind...
Established Member
That was my main question, I dont know if I want different wheels, but I may do the 10.5 reps.

Are spacers required with those wheels and a 315/35 combo? I see a lot of people with them, but are the necessary to clear something suspension-wise in the rear?

Jroc

Established Member
Putting anything wider than 275's (285's for Nittos) on stock 9" wheels is pointless. You gain nothing. You actually lose contact patch compared to properly sized wheel/tire combos.

Wrong.

I can go show you a 275 compared to a 315 555R on a 9" wheel if you want me too. I guarentee you that the contact patch is wide one the 555R than the 275.

People have been running the 315 555R's for many years on 9" wide Mustang and Fbody wheels and it works great.

Jroc

Established Member
That was my main question, I dont know if I want different wheels, but I may do the 10.5 reps.

Are spacers required with those wheels and a 315/35 combo? I see a lot of people with them, but are the necessary to clear something suspension-wise in the rear?

Probably not.

johnny--2k

Daily Grind...
Established Member
Ok, so mixed reviews both here and in the linked thread. Looks like I will lose some contact patch if I keep the 9" wheels. How about lets say a 275/305 combo? Anyone running something like that? I know that's what the c5 zo6's run in the rear is a 305...

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I've gone through 3 sets of 315 Nitto DR's on factory wheels and although I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'ghetto', its not really proper.

The bulge look doesn't bother me but the tradeoff in handling is definitely an issue.
Thin sidewalls have a propensity to roll over the rim during hard lateral loading and 315/9" is pretty bad in that respect.

Next year I'm getting wider wheels (and better DR's) for my street setup.
Also ditching my strip MT DR's in favor of slicks.

:burnout:

Last edited:

johnny--2k

Daily Grind...
Established Member
Cool, thanks everyone!

I think I may see how a 305 fits on the 9". A 305/35 is only 1.0% difference from the stock size, and may clear the 9" a bit better than the 315.

I still got some life in the F1's since they only have 10K on them, so I've got time to decide. Maybe by the time I'm ready, I'll just spring for the 10.5 rears and be done with it....who knows!

Last edited:

mu22stang

Established Member
If your signature is still pertinent, you really don't need that much tire. Something like a 275 Nitto NT05's would be more than enough for a bone stock Cobra - providing great traction laterally and longitudinally. Plus, they have deep rain channels for wet weather traction. NT555's are good, too. But, they don't have great rain traction...fair at best.

johnny--2k

Daily Grind...
Established Member
Well, sig is current. Plans over winter are exhaust, intake (prob ordering today actually), tune, 2.76.

I just want a bit more tire in the rear, even if not necessary, it looks better, and I can only hope would help with some of the wheel hop, esp if they are NOT F1's!

I'm in no rush for tires as I said, I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row so to speak, and trying to figure out what I need to do and how much I need to spend so I can budget for it. My job does not give me steady income as it fluctuates quite a bit from month to month, so I gotta know what I'm doing and when so I can plan it out.

mu22stang

Established Member
I see. It's always good to be informed before making any decisions. For reference, I'm running Nitto NT555 ZR's (275/285). More than enough tire for an intake + midpipe + catback + tune setup. Though, the 2.76 should add a considerable amount of torque.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I just want a bit more tire in the rear, even if not necessary, it looks better, and I can only hope would help with some of the wheel hop, esp if they are NOT F1's!

You're absolutely right, TRACTION is the worst enemy of wheelhop!

For reference, I'm running Nitto NT555 ZR's (275/285)

Those are great tires but I wish they offered them in more sizes........275/40 is the only 17"

mu22stang

Established Member
...Those are great tires but I wish they offered them in more sizes........275/40 is the only 17"

I agree on both fronts. They need more size choices, and they are great tires. I do need a bit more rain traction though, so I'm getting the NT05's in 275's next as I will gain rain traction and a stickier tire!

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Great minds think alike! :-D

I just got a set of NT05's to replace GS-D3 for my wet/cool weather setup

johnny--2k

Daily Grind...
Established Member
Well, I'm not worried about rain/snow/cold as I have my 99 Tahoe as my daily, so a dry weather tire does not bother me at all.

So, a 305/35/17 or 315/35/17 should be great on a 10.5" rim, maybe a 295 on the stock 9" if there is anything decent in that size...

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
I'm running Nitto 315/35 DR's with no problems on a 10.5" wheel (Lowered with Eibach Springs)...Just get the MM Low Profile bolts, $14 for the pair....FYI: No problems running Nitto 315 DR's on a 9" wheel....

kc_10.jpg

kc_11.jpg

johnny--2k

Daily Grind...
Established Member
Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate it, I'm new to the mustang world, still getting used to some of the terminology too.

Is there a thread that outlines what all of the abbreviations are such as MAFiA and a few others that I've seen floating around?

I got some of them down, but others I'm completely lost on!! :D

Jroc

Established Member
Linky - compare post #1 to post #12.

I don't care. Those 555R's look a little over inflated for a DR's + 315 555's are wider than 315 555R's. A 315 555R isn't a true 315, and they look almost undersized on a 10.5" wheel. They do fit good on a 10" wheel. I know someone running 295 BFG DR on a 9" wheel that bulge alot worse + the BFG 295's on my old 99's 9" wheels bulge about as bad and maybe worse than my 555R's do on a 9" wheel. I can post pics. Ofcourse those are 18's and have shorter sidewalls but still.

OP if you hate the F1 GS tires I guarentee that your not going to notice a huge improvement from any other normal street performance tire in its size. People like to bitch alot about the factory Good Years but compared to other tires in their class they're not that bad. They're overpriced, but switching to another tire the same size, and in its class like a 555 isn't going to cure your wheel hop or anything. You'd be had pressed to notice much a difference. Even going from a F1 GS to a tire with a 200 TWR I don't notice that much a difference. If you're looking to noticably change the charactoristic of how your car performance in any situation, you need to go with something more extreme like a DR or maybe something like a Toyo R888.

555R's are a great street tire for the back of a Eaton Cobra, and they work just fine on a 9" wheel in 315 form, and I've never heard of anyone have a problem with it, and its been a popular combo for years. JB is right that they have a tall sidewall and you can feel it flex some in a turn, but they also let you apply a good bit of power coming out the turn that would send the car with street tires spinning in circles. exiting a tight turn in 3rd gear at 40+ mph at WOT is pretty fun in these cars, and the 555R's let you do that without breaking traction in a pulleyed Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread