Moroso 20548 Oil Pan - Anyone Using It?

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
I'm looking at getting a road race oil pan for my car, and am wondering if anyone is using this pan on their car:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LC95CE/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER]Amazon.com: Moroso 20548 Oil Pan for Ford 4.6/5.4 Engines (Road Race Applications): Automotive[/ame]

Mostly concerned about this one line from the description on that page:
"Will Not Clear Front/Rear Main w/o Modification"

Does anyone know if a modification needs to be done, and if so, what exactly needs to be modified?

Quick Strike

Established Member
I'm using the Canton pan and windage tray. There are no main stud issues. It can be hard to seal, but is very nice in the end.

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
The canton pan looks like it has a horribly placed drain plug, and I've read complaints from other members about draining all the oil out of it. Do you guys have the same complaints about the drain plug placement? And do you just live with it? or is there a fix for that?

nooner

Established Member
I'm using the Moroso 20555 aluminum oil pan from Lethal Performance...

Moroso 4.6L/5.4L Ford Aluminum Deep Sump Oil Pan (7 Quart)

It's very close on the passenger side so they are going to grind a little bit off the k-member. It extends about an 1/8" to 1/4" below the k-member. That will do until I convert to coil overs and aftermarket k-member. Other than that there were no issues with it on my engine (4.6L Aluminator).

(click for full size pic)

Quick Strike

Established Member
The canton pan looks like it has a horribly placed drain plug, and I've read complaints from other members about draining all the oil out of it. Do you guys have the same complaints about the drain plug placement? And do you just live with it? or is there a fix for that?

I double a piece of tin foil (about 4" long) and place it under the pan and on top of the K-member at the drain plug. That keeps the oil from running under the pan and on top of the K-member when it gets to the drip stage. I don't see a problem unless you drain your oil daily, and you are then the problem in that case!

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
I double a piece of tin foil (about 4" long) and place it under the pan and on top of the K-member at the drain plug. That keeps the oil from running under the pan and on top of the K-member when it gets to the drip stage. I don't see a problem unless you drain your oil daily, and you are then the problem in that case!

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I was refering to not being able to fully drain the pan because the drain plug seems like it's 1/2" above the bottom of the pan.
15-784_MED.jpg

nooner

Established Member
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I was refering to not being able to fully drain the pan because the drain plug seems like it's 1/2" above the bottom of the pan.
15-784_MED.jpg

I don't think that is the drain plug. Look at mine and you will see the same type of fitting with the drain plug right next to it. I believe what you are looking at is fittings for oil cooling, or supercharger oil lines, etc.

lcarpen_2000

Established Member
I just installed this in my 97 this fall. The k member brace will get hung up on the rear plug unless it is fully seated. Maybe due to different tolerances between cars, this could be interference and you would need to reposition the brace or remove it, but I did not have that problem.

Also, be sure to replace the passenger side steering rack stud before replacing the k member because you won't be able to install the stud when the k member is in place. The mounting surface is flat all the way around so no other clearance issues.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
I just installed this in my 97 this fall. The k member brace will get hung up on the rear plug unless it is fully seated. Maybe due to different tolerances between cars, this could be interference and you would need to reposition the brace or remove it, but I did not have that problem.

Also, be sure to replace the passenger side steering rack stud before replacing the k member because you won't be able to install the stud when the k member is in place. The mounting surface is flat all the way around so no other clearance issues.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Which K member? I'm putting in a MM K member this winter.

Thanks to everyone else for clarifying the position of the drain plug on the canton...I may head that direction now.

Users who are viewing this thread