most comfortablr shifter? (for short arm person)

v8pwr

Established Member
most comfortable shifter? (for short arm person)

I posted this in driveline section, but perhaps I'll get better response here so...

What's the most comfortable shifter out there? Comfortable meaning something which brings shift knob way back so that I can rest my arm on the console while shifting or cruising.

I currently have MGW with orange handle and although I like how short it's throws are, it sits kind of far from me. I did set it at 7 o'clock position.

I've seen some with Hurst chrome stick, or roush stick on either stock or aftermarket shifter base. Although throws won't be as short, they look like much more comfortable (for me)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree with your thinking. You could use a Roush Classic Shifter Kit with an aftermarket or stock shifter base (won't work with the MGW, though). The length of the handle might be just what you're looking for. Expensive though, at $212. And all you get is the handle, knob and boot. Add to that the cost of a shifter base and you're looking at a package price of around $400. Yikes! But if the feel is perfect for you, the extra cost shouldn't matter. Here is a link for the Roush kit, but you probably already have your own link.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/roush-shifter-handle-kit.html

v8pwr

Established Member
CobraBob> Thanks for your reply.
Yeah, Roush kit is big$$ for just the lever and boot. I was also looking at Hurst lever and its less than $100 for chrome lever, white hurst knob, and rubber boot.

BTW, I may need to order your gasket again;-)

Jefe

Established Member
You can find the Roush shifter for less than $100 a lot of the time. Just watch ebay and fnsweet. Its the best short throw for sure. But you lose your cupholder in 4th gear haha

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
v8pwr said:
Yeah, Roush kit is big$$ for just the lever and boot. I was also looking at Hurst lever and its less than $100 for chrome lever, white hurst knob, and rubber boot.

Just let me know. ;-)

bigblockbrute

Banned
v8pwr said:

the roush/hurst shifters are really notchy IMO

deec73

Established Member
How is the MGW Orange handle shifter? Ive read a lot of good things about it. I want one that you dont have to reach so far foward to reach. Is the Orange handle MGW what im looking for?

Jefe

Established Member
bling!

RoushShifter.jpg

v8pwr

Established Member
03AZRoush>
How do you like your shifter? What gear is that in?
Shift knob position is lower than I expected...

Jefe

Established Member
that pic is another roush shifter. that is 4th gear

Heres my Roush shifter. Going from left to right, top to bottom

N,1,2,3,4,5,R

Clipboard01-4.jpg

As you can see, I can keep my elbow if not half my arm on the arm rest while still holding the shifter. Very sturdy shifter.

Last edited:

v8pwr

Established Member
03AZRoush>
Thanks for the detailed pics! I know Roush don't make kit for terminator...but perhaps I can use their shift lever on stock shifter base.

So how do you like your's?

Jefe

Established Member
I like it. For daily driving it gets a little old but when Im romping it, its very useful.

You can use any shifter base you want so long as the bolts fit the shifter handle holes. I see the Roush shifters go for $50-200. Just watch ebay. ONly complaint, being from AZ, is the metal shifter handle. If it werent for the plastic black ball I couldnt drive home from work. haha

The nice one above was nickle plated along with the shifter bezle. I think it looks really good.

v8pwr

Established Member
03AZRoush>

I see. I want something that's gonna bring the knob position back, or up so that I can shift easier.
I was also looking at Hurst shift lever which has nice chrome look and price is much less than Roush.

Jefe

Established Member
I can easily shift through all 5 gears with just the flick of the wrist with my arm resting.

Real Roush Cobra, notice same shifter

image0439rh.jpg

image0263ip.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread