most hp w/warrenty

skippy32

Established Member
i tried a search but couldn't find anything.maybe i didn't word correctly.sorry if this has been asked before.just wondering how much power can we get out of the cobra and still keep our warrenty.some mod ideas please.
mods so far.
jlt cai
magnaflow catback
mgw

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There is no right answer to your question. Install a tune in an otherwise stock Cobra and your warrantee is kaput. And it depends on Ford, not really your dealer. Ford warrantees the car, not the dealer. It is true that dealers can be more or less friendly towards mods but remember that each dealer is independently owned. They have to be reimbursed by Ford for warrantee repairs. All Ford has to say is that they want to have the regional SVT rep check out the motor and if Ford then says they won't cover it, the dealer can't do anything unless they are willing to foot the bill.

It is a generally accepted fact that the following mods are normally acceptable and therefore warrantee friendly. But NOTHING is a guarantee. Even some with the basic mods have run into warrantee issues with Ford.

CAI
Shifter
Catback
Catted mid-pipe

Generally warrantee unfriendly mods include:
Headers
Off-road mid pipes
Chips or tunes
Smaller blower pullies
Larger crank pullies
Fuel additives
Ported blower (if caught)
Aftermarket blowers
Nitrous

Jeff is VERY lucky to still be getting warrantee service pushing 600rwhp. He has to either be using nitrous and/or an aftermarket blower. Just don't think you can do the same thing and keep your warrantee. It's a gamble. Plain and simple. So you have to decide up front how far you want to go with your mods and how valuable your warrantee is. :)

Last edited:

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
I tend to think that switching the midpipe at all could void warranty regardless of what you replace it with. I was told that anything before the mass air, and after the cats is safe by svt.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Which is why I said there is no "right" answer. Or should I say, no consistent right answer. The truth is that ANY mod can potentially become an issue, regardless of what it is and where it is located. Believe me, if someone's motor fails Ford will usually look for mods that either created or contributed to the failure, regardless of what it actually is and where it is located. History proves that. On the average you are probably correct. But it won't be true in every case. Believe me.

We've seen guys were friendly mods get their warrantees voided because the dealer found pieces of rubber in the fenderwell. Their conclusion? The car was raced and that contributed/caused the failure. I often tell people that ANY motor/drivetrain/suspension mod is potentially a risk. Most accept it and hope for the best. LOL!

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
skippy32 said:
who is your dealer? i'm located in south eastern mass.
edit: don't want to ruin a good thing. But yes I am running a kenne bell.
skippy I sent you a PM.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread