Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Road & Track

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
The other thread about C&D had me wanting to know.....

Who does SVTP think is the most reputable car reviewer?

Blown 89

Established Member
They're all pretty bad simply because they all follow the same basic formula. Honestly, I wonder if any of them actually drive the cars they review.

As I've gotten older and owned and driven some of the sought after review cars I've realized none of them are reviewing the actual car, they're simply bringing an entertainment formula with them and making the car fit a predictable narrative. The reviews are so wildly off it's ridiculous. I think it's lazy journalism more than anything.

The worst part is that the entire review industry is a gigantic echo chamber. The McLaren MP4-12C is the perfect example. The moment one reviewer labels it as boring and lacking the excitement of its competitors it was forever branded as boring. Fire one up some time and tell me with a straight face that the exhaust note in that thing is boring or that the turbos howling and waste gates fluttering behind your head lack passion.

Of that list I like listening to Motor Trend's Head to Head race driver comment on cars while on track. He offers some unique perspectives. Everyone else kinda sucks. Top Gear has been caught handicapping certain brands (ie Ford) too many times before. Car and Driver is the CNN of the car industry. Motor Week sounds like some bald guy getting an enema reading off a spec sheet. God forbid they get excited and lose rectal control before getting their drawers down. The worst is The Smoking Tire, holy shit those guys are bad. Amateur hour doesn't begin to describe them. The worst part is their smug attitudes while being complete ignoramuses. And while I like Doug DeMuros's videos for his"quirks" and a closer look at details others miss I can't help but roll my eyes every time he gets on the gas and he drops his jaw and goes "Whoa" or turns a corner from a stop sign in town and comments on the amazing handling by saying that it feels flat around corners.

The car review industry definitely needs some fresh faces and I come across some really good content from Europe on Youtube from time to time so I'm interested to see what everyone else is watching.

Last edited:

CV355

_
Established Member
Motor Week sounds like some bald guy getting an enema reading off a spec sheet. God forbid they get excited and lose rectal control before getting their drawers down.

I've seen that happen to people. It's not pretty.

Car and Driver is decent for when you're sitting in a waiting room for what should be a 15 minute doctor's checkup and every landwhale that waddles in somehow gets in before you, even though your appointment was for 4:00pm and it's now 4:45pm and you're tired of straining your eyes at your phone and shifting around in the semi-cushioned chair to the point where your ass has fallen asleep and you're looking around the room for something to stimulate your brain just enough so you don't slip into dreamless sleep. You pick up the magazine and the first article is "The NEW ____ and why it is the best thing on the market right now." You read into the article and find out that the author of the article is comparing the vehicle to an AMC Gremlin. Copious use of the words:
-Responsive
-Choppy
-Smooth
-Instantaneous
-Lackluster
Which amazingly relates back to your quote!

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Henry Catchpole is a very good reviewer. His review of the Hyundai I30N has me very intrigued at how well the Veloster N will be here in the United States and has me on the lookout for one when they do come to market.

Also his review of the Mclaren F1/P1 was one of the best ive ever seen. You could really feel how special it was to the guy to have the F1 in his possession for just a little bit of time.

08mojo

Established Member
Honestly the forums have the best reviews

^This. The only thing car mags are good for is pictures and the instrumented tests (as a reference only, not saying their results are absolute). For real world reviews, common problems and response to mods, I go to the forums. I just hope the facebook takeover dies in the near future. How are you supposed to find info on Facebook?

D1984

Whining
Established Member
There's better You Tube guys than Doug

doug is ok but he's always going crazy over some "quirk" that's actually a lot more common than he thinks. i see a lot of stuff he presents as the second coming of jesus and it's a feature you find in a toyota or something

D1984

Whining
Established Member
They're all pretty bad simply because they all follow the same basic formula. Honestly, I wonder if any of them actually drive the cars they review.

As I've gotten older and owned and driven some of the sought after review cars I've realized none of them are reviewing the actual car, they're simply bringing an entertainment formula with them and making the car fit a predictable narrative. The reviews are so wildly off it's ridiculous. I think it's lazy journalism more than anything.

The worst part is that the entire review industry is a gigantic echo chamber. The McLaren MP4-12C is the perfect example. The moment one reviewer labels it as boring and lacking the excitement of its competitors it was forever branded as boring. Fire one up some time and tell me with a straight face that the exhaust note in that thing is boring or that the turbos howling and waste gates fluttering behind your head lack passion.

Of that list I like listening to Motor Trend's Head to Head race driver comment on cars while on track. He offers some unique perspectives. Everyone else kinda sucks. Top Gear has been caught handicapping certain brands (ie Ford) too many times before. Car and Driver is the CNN of the car industry. Motor Week sounds like some bald guy getting an enema reading off a spec sheet. God forbid they get excited and lose rectal control before getting their drawers down. The worst is The Smoking Tire, holy shit those guys are bad. Amateur hour doesn't begin to describe them. The worst part is their smug attitudes while being complete ignoramuses. And while I like Doug DeMuros's videos for his"quirks" and a closer look at details others miss I can't help but roll my eyes every time he gets on the gas and he drops his jaw and goes "Whoa" or turns a corner from a stop sign in town and comments on the amazing handling by saying that it feels flat around corners.

The car review industry definitely needs some fresh faces and I come across some really good content from Europe on Youtube from time to time so I'm interested to see what everyone else is watching.

I always thought the hate for the MP4-12C exhaust note was unwarranted. It's about the closest a production car can get to a NASCAR V8 sound (quieter of course) at high RPM

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I always thought the hate for the MP4-12C exhaust note was unwarranted. It's about the closest a production car can get to a NASCAR V8 sound (quieter of course) at high RPM
Huh, interesting.

Weirdly enough after my first track day and lots of 8200 rpm pulls in my car, I was thinking about it in that way. I guess I need to listen to more Mclarens.

I really like EVOs reviews for some reason.

D1984

Whining
Established Member
Huh, interesting.

Weirdly enough after my first track day and lots of 8200 rpm pulls in my car, I was thinking about it in that way. I guess I need to listen to more Mclarens.

I really like EVOs reviews for some reason.

watch that video of the M1 with a NASCAR engine and then listen to an MP4-12C with loud exhaust. Besides the turbo noise, they're very similar.

dynasty_v6

Established Member
Nobody does it like Savage Geese, the details and throwing the car on a lift really give him an edge!

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread