Motor needs cleaning

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
When I changed my blower oil a couple of weeks ago, I realized my engine is kinda funky. Not clean and shiny like I see in so many pics here. I would like to clean it up a bit, could you guys give me some suggestions, like the best method/ products to use, and exactly what all I need to cover up to prevent damaging anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tia...striker

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
I would post this in the Show Saloon. Those guys would have lots of tricks for you.
I've heard diluted simple green is one of the best to use though on a cold motor. Mine has only seen rain 3 times since new so the motor doesn't get too dirty...lol.

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
Thanks special blend, I wondered if I should have posted this there. Sorry mods if this was the wrong forum, please move it to shown n shine.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Buy a steamer from Lowes. I got a little one for like 120 bucks.. cleans the engine up in NO time. :D

jean

Established Member
Steaming is the worst,the steam go through the electric connection,condense,form water and you get water inside the plug.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Shoot...I just fire up my pressure washer and hose it off. Looks like new in no time. I've never had an issue. I guess if I were really worried about it I would pull the coil covers and blow out an moisture that might be there with compressed air.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I always got a spray bottle of simple green, sprayed it down, let it sit for a little bit, then rinsed off the engine. Then for the shine i got some of that tire spray gloss and sprayed down the black plastic, always looked brand new.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
If you are in a pinch and the motor is really dirty take it to the high pressure car wash. Leave the car running and use the cleaner to soak it down and then rinse it off. Go drive it for a while so the heat and air movement dries it off and then you are done. Clean motor. Just make sure to leave the car running while you wash it.

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
Ok, thanks guys this is exactly what I needed to know. I live in an apartment right now, so I cant really do it here. Think I will pick sup some simple green and head to the car wash. Thanks again guys!

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
Here is a car show detailing trick that never fails:

Get a can of NO TOUCH tire foam (the white can, not the black can). Spray the engine down with it and let it set about 2-3 minutes. Then spay the engine off with light water pressure. Do this once a month and the engine will remain spotless.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
wipe it down, dont hose it down. the whole friggin thing is electrical. i use simple green or 409 and paper towels.

take off your intake from the throttle body on down and clean that whole frame rail and strut tower. take the battery out on the other side and clean that frame rail and inner apron.

when the engine is clean, and cool, an aerosol can of silicone makes things look super happy shiny.

trying to clean a warm or hot engine is an exercise in frustration.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
wipe it down, dont hose it down. the whole friggin thing is electrical. i use simple green or 409 and paper towels.

take off your intake from the throttle body on down and clean that whole frame rail and strut tower. take the battery out on the other side and clean that frame rail and inner apron.

when the engine is clean, and cool, an aerosol can of silicone makes things look super happy shiny.

trying to clean a warm or hot engine is an exercise in frustration.

Yep...
I wipe it down every time I wash it....then I put Poorboys Bold and Brite on all of the plastic...
Engine.jpg

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
That looks really sweet Nicky. This wipe it down shit sounds like a lot more work fellas, but I was definately worried about all that electrical stuff. But take the freaking intake out, I dont about that!

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Good to know steaming is the worst. I'm sure my car is about to fall apart then.

My plugs are going to fail? The steam gets inside the coil covers and inside the COPs and messes up my plugs? That's some bad ass steam.

Steaming is the best way, do a search. That's what was reccomended last time and what I have used since. Takes 10 minutes max. The stream is small and controlled and thus can be kept away from electrical connectors.

Here is my ruined engine bay.

good8.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
FireRed04Vert said:
Shoot...I just fire up my pressure washer and hose it off. Looks like new in no time. I've never had an issue. I guess if I were really worried about it I would pull the coil covers and blow out an moisture that might be there with compressed air.
Yep! This is the most common method, and it works. Some cover the coil covers with plastic but I'm not sure if that would work with a pressure washer. You'd have to secure the plastic pretty well. It would, though, work if you are using a regular hose.

Many use products like Simple Green as the cleaning agent. They work well. By the way, I never washed down my motor. I did, though, detail it every time I washed the exterior. Spent about 15 minutes on the engine bay. In the 1 1/2 years I had the car (daily driver) the engine bay looked very close to showroom new. So investing a little time once a week pays dividends. ;-)

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
Q-Tips and detailing brushes are your friend. One you get it clean, like Cobra Bob said...wipe it down every once and a while and it will always look new.

Users who are viewing this thread