Motor oil and filter?

gotjack

Established Member
I know this has been discussed before but seems like there older posts . Wanted to see what everyone was running as far as oil? 5 20? Or 5 30? Fully synthetic? And which oil filter?

637 RW HP
2.3 whipple

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd stick with 5w-30. The 5w-20 was to help Ford make the MPG standards. Normally I run Motorcraft oil, but anytime I go looking it seems to be out. Granted I only change the Cobra once a year so things change. Last time around I went Mobil 1. Honestly, I've ran Supertech, Motorcraft, Amsoil, Royal Purple, and probably a couple others. There wasn't a noticeable difference between any of them except for cost. Just keep up on your oil changes.

For filters I run K&N after having a couple recent bad experiences with Motorcraft.

gotjack

Established Member
Anyone ever use the ford racing oil filter? I ordered it since I need it by tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
Ford Racing is the high performance version of the Motorcraft. I think the can is a bit thicker to handle higher pressures. That's what came with my relocation kit originally.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I would check it after a couple hundred miles. I had three Motorcraft filters randomly loosen up on three different vehicles.

Sajin

Established Member
Amsoil signature series 5w20 with a bottle of ceratec added in with a fl820s filter is what I run.

blwn89gt

Established Member
I’ve always run Mobil 1 5w20, but will be running 5w30 on my new motor.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

cobracide

Established Member
I use Amsoil full synth since 6k miles when I bought the car. Oil, Filter change every year. 0w-20, 0w-30, 5w-20.. 135,000 miles no issues,

Last edited:

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
I think 20-weight and 30-weight are probably not optimally thick enough for a Cobra driven hard in warm temps. The GT500s were recommended to run 5W50, and I feel like that's a lot closer to a good recommendation for the very-similar Cobra motor. I've run Mobil1 0W40 but most recently switched to Mobil1 Supercar 0W40, which is the same stuff my CT5 Blackwing takes. GM bills it as being good for the street and tough enough to handle track use (and I would like to roadcourse my Cobra at some point) so my Cobra got 7 quarts of it. Blackstone results always look good.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been running amsoil ss 10w30 since switching to E85. I tried Royal Purple 5w30 hps before that and I could smell a hint of ethanol on the dipstick.

After switching to amsoil it's gone. Oil pressure on cold start up is around 95 PSI. After warmed up motor, idle is around 25-30psi. And around 60 psi cruising at 60 mph.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Royal Purple 5-30. Not because it makes any noticeable difference, but I can buy a 5qt jug locally for $38. Seems pretty reasonable for a performance full synthetic. Plus I use RP in the trans and diff so my OCD is appeased with everything matching. lol I also substitute a half quart for Schaeffer's oil additive. The car sits for weeks at a time and this stuff is supposed to cling to moving parts better, thusly helping reduce wear during cold starts.

Users who are viewing this thread