pic8.jpg

pic9.jpg

7:00AM this morning UH OH

pic10.jpg

pic11.jpg

More to come.

DolSVT00

Established Member
In case anyone wants to know, this thread was a tremendous help http://www.f150online.com/forums/lightning/147206-how-5-4-engine-assembly-photos.html

It leaves out some things like ARP head torque specs, ring gaps ( I had mine done for each specific cyl), gap locations , plastiguage for the bottom end and what the crank endplay tolerances should be set at. I also clayed my pistions and timed the motor with old head gaskets to ensure I had the proper valve to piston clearence .

But with the correct research, that information should be easily obtained for any individuals specific application.

And last but not least I'd like to thank Lightningrodder for the shop exerts in the How- To Section...... Oh and Bigstew for helping me find them when they dissapeared in the middle of my build lol (Ya I actually put a desktop in my garage so I could get them).

Last edited:

DolSVT00

Established Member
i hope you cleaned that block before you bolted the heads up.

all that stuff you see on the pistons is assembly lube it's soo thick it looks like hairs (take honey for example) I dunno why it showed up like that.

As far as clean is concerned , it was a used block so I had it hot dipped its been cleaned about 4 times afterwards too.

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
Sock feet FTW. Now thats a man who is just so excited to takes pics of his progress that hill do it in his Socks...HE HE..

Nice to see pics of Motors being built. Now if I can only blow mine to get this opportunity to build mine. Now that would make the wife even happier. She just wants me to get it over with...

Keep us posted on the updates..

DolSVT00

Established Member
Sock feet FTW. Now thats a man who is just so excited to takes pics of his progress that hill do it in his Socks...HE HE..

Nice to see pics of Motors being built. Now if I can only blow mine to get this opportunity to build mine. Now that would make the wife even happier. She just wants me to get it over with...

Keep us posted on the updates..

I have heat in my garage and the concrete is cold. LOL why not be comfortable.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Looking good! I can't wait to assemble the motor for my Mustang, should come together later this year. It can be a bit overwhelming the first time you do it, this will be the 4th mod motor I'll have a hand in building and the 3rd 4V.

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
all that stuff you see on the pistons is assembly lube it's soo thick it looks like hairs (take honey for example) I dunno why it showed up like that.

As far as clean is concerned , it was a used block so I had it hot dipped its been cleaned about 4 times afterwards too.

I hope you didn't soak the rings with that assembly lube.
Too much assembly lube on the pistons and rings can prevent the rings from breaking in quickly and sealing properly and could cause blowby problems. Assembly lube is best used for bearings surfaces only.
For a good, quick ring break-in, use a light dab of regular 30w motor oil on the pistons skirts when installing the pistons.
Rings should be installed dry for quickest break-in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread