Motor Trend [ june 2003 ] Speeding Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evo1832

Established Member
Don't worry about it. It's a magazine. Be happy you can drive better then they can.

Mike

MarkWanc

Established Member
Hey...I remember when they tested a Pontiac Catalina 2+2 back in '65....they claimed the car could run a 3.9 sec 0-60 time.....of course the car was a 'Ringer' that was prepped by Royal Pontiac. The only problem was the article never claimed any mods were done. Most people still think till today that the car run that fast.....ever seen one of the these cars?

StickyFinga

Established Member
Originally posted by The DBK
I believe the Viper driveline loss is something like 12%. Check Viperclub.org to be sure. :beer:

Z06 driveline loss is about 15%...

Even with 12% my point still remains. The only thing that solves is that they aren't over rating the car. It still doesn't hit 510 though.

Anyways...A Viper is something I have never nor will ever have the desire to buy...same goes for the EVO. I guess I'll just have to see some real track numbers in person before I believe the times for both the EVO and the Viper are plausible.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by MarkWanc
Hey...I remember when they tested a Pontiac Catalina 2+2 back in '65....they claimed the car could run a 3.9 sec 0-60 time.....of course the car was a 'Ringer' that was prepped by Royal Pontiac. The only problem was the article never claimed any mods were done. Most people still think till today that the car run that fast.....ever seen one of the these cars?

That was quite common back then. One mag got a test GTO, and discovered the 389 was acyually a 421.

RJCobra

Established Member
Testers

This goes to show how out of touch those testers were:
One of the things listed as "What's hot" on the Cobra was the "Quick-shift six speed". (WTF?)

Also, Justin Bell only tested the cars during the high-speed portion of the test around the five-mile oval.

MarkWanc

Established Member
Originally posted by caveman6666
That was quite common back then. One mag got a test GTO, and discovered the 389 was acyually a 421.

Yea, the gentlemens name was Jim Wangers - very famous Pontiac part-time drag racer, full time advertising man for Pontiac in those days. He knew that what won on Sunday, sold on Monday. He had the car doctored with the 421 and it was tweaked to the edge for that test. A few years back, they interviewed the head mechanic (sorry, cant remember his name) who worked for Wangers back then and asked how the 389 cu. inch engine managed that feat....he said that the engine was a 421. They (the inteviewer) asked how he knew that...he replyed 'because I put it in there'.

I think we can all understand that history is repeating itself here - this is not a new idea (what these magazines are doing). Take a look into R&T's history a few years ago. Ever notice how all the published times for cars in this mag. are ALWAYS slower than any other mag?...ever ask why?......because they got busted for it - caught red handed. Since then, they now scaled 'it' all back and are very modest with the posted times. They know they are on the watch list - and in my book, so it Motor Trend. Hell, if I keep reading it each month, an all stock Z06 will be running high 10's, Vipers low 10's and the Cobra low 15's by the end of the year.

Not buyin it for a second. Sorry for the rant and I mean no disrespect to ANY the cars tested as I love em all.

Mark

RHEACER

Established Member
Anybody notice in that same issue of Motor Trend that the Mitsubishi manufacturer advertisement claims a 0-60 time of 5.1. I believe that the ad would have mid 4s plastered everywhere if the car could perform that well stock. Can anybody say "ringer"?

thedutt

Established Member
Very intersting read from everyone here. One thing I am having hard time understanding is why do we all think that magazines hate "cobras?" Wither that is against Vette, or Evo or for that matter any other freakin car ? I find it hard to belive that mags would single out cobras in each of thier tests.

I own a cobra because i love it. The looks, the colors, the style, the history behind it, make it the compelling package that it is. Of course watching the faces of the passengers when I hit the gas helps too!:beer: How many other cars can truely claim that? There are faster cars out there, so be it. There always will be.

taronis

Banned
Originally posted by [iSEPIC]
Well, acording to the article, and their "driving skills", the Cobra got [email protected], and the Mitsu Evo got [email protected] and the Cobra is 34,750 (as we all know), and the Mitsu Evo is 30,062, outhandles (Slalom 65.4mph Cobra, 71.4mph Evo), and outbrakes (60-0 116t Cobra, 106ft Evo) the Cobra.

Motor Trend has shown a certain bias in the past wrt domestic cars. <MOSTLY AGAINST> They have done a fair job masking it with "driving skills". I have yet to see a good driver get times greater than 13 in an '03 Cobra. Most "good drivers" seem to be in the 12s consistently if they launch properly. I'll bet the "skilled" Motor Trend drivers lost a FEW tenths in wheel spin and acrid tire smoke. Ya think?

Now as for ownership, is Motor Trend one of those French-owned magazines? They sure did like Le Car back in '81!

Blades

Established Member
Just jumping into this Evo debate. Most street races are from a roll. The evo is an ugly machine.. But to each his own.. These evo guys are going to get slaughtered.. I'll find one at my local cruise scene and make an example out of it a la video

jleews6

Established Member
I watched a brand new evo run 13.1 to 13.3 all day long a couple weeks ago and they said he ran a 12.98 that morning.I was impressed because my ws6 only ran 13.1 when it was new.

Im not sticking up for the evo because i think it is VERY ugly and im into american cars but a 13.1 is a 13.1.I have watched some 03 cobras and many ls1 cars go slower than that.

They may have AWD but my car traps at over 25 mph faster than them:-D

Mojo03

Established Member
I'd agree. Nothing wrong with the Evo if you're into cars like that. I'm just an American V-8 guy and always have been. I like power and that's why your WS6 and my Cobra trap faster. Just a different type of car the Evo is, but it's just not for me...

In fact I just got my '03 modded and it dynos at 450RWH. Believe me, it doesn't sound like a lawn mower either...

evoish

Established Member
i think you have that lawn mower sound mixed up with a civic. An evo with a downpipe and turboback sounds badass.

StickyFinga

Established Member
Originally posted by evoish
i think you have that lawn mower sound mixed up with a civic. An evo with a downpipe and turboback sounds badass.

There is not much you can do to 4 cylinder to make it sown "badass". Pretty much all 4 cylinders no matter how fast they may be sound like lawn mowers to me.

Mojo03

Established Member
Yeah, ok... Badass?! C'mon! :kaboom:

Just about anybody can tell the difference between a car that's ALL exhaust and one that's got muscle behind it. Just walk forward of the exhaust and listen for something other than the exhaust. Every mini-might I've ever heard sounds like a wet duck farting and reminds me of an angry little bubble bee trying to get attention from the big dog.

lovemycobra

Established Member
all i know is that the Cobra got spanked by the Z06 in every category, and the Viper spanked the Z06 in almost every category. Cobra 35k, Z06 52k, Viper 85k. therefore, making the results believable. look at the tags.

Also, one that says an EVO is not worthy or anytihng of that sort, is a lying, envious BULLSHITTER. A 4 banger running a 13.08 that can give a Cobra a run for its money is well worth it.

People need to live and except the fact that the Viper is faster then a Z06, and a Z06 is faster then a Cobra. Period. If you think otherwise, you are fooling yourself.

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread