Motor Trend: Shelby GT 500 12.7sec??WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
:D I pick up the copy of the new motor trend and there is a picture of a sheby GT 500 on the front, the mag is titled "Thunder Road" and they say that the new cobra runs a 12.7 sec quarter mile, 157mph top speed, 0-60 in 4.5 sec, and 18.4mpg. I thought the 03 cobra could do the quarter in 12.4-12.7 is motortrend on crack or is there some legitimacy to this claim? Id say they need to stop sucking chevy. Im tellin you now that when the camaro comes out I know they are going to test it to run a 12.5, get 25mpg, 0-60 in 4.2 you know how it goes....

BetterthanU

Banned
look at what all the other mags posted, that's actually the fastest time....why? Could be traction, bad driving, the new tq management, or that its a 4000 lb car.....or all of the above. Wait until they come off the lots and get to the tracks to see for sure. Motortrend usually corrects their #s, too.....so their times are usually the fastest. C&D is the chevy sucker.

03/04s run high 12s....12.7-12.9 with decent drivers.

Last edited:

stmoney11

DSG Lightning
Established Member
The article pretty much heaps the praise on the GT500, a lot of compliments throughout the article. Once they start hitting the tracks we will know how they run for real.

Silver 03 Cobra

When the early numbers came out that the 03 Cobra was dynoing 365 rwhp nobody wangted to believe it. You can bet with a bigger more efficient Eaton and 5.4 ltrs this car will be fast even with the weight. Wait till MM&FF mag gets done talking off a few pounds and a few free mods and a set of slicks. I'm hoping it has the same intake as the Ford GT so somebody can slap a Whipple on it when they first come out. It should make 700 rwhp easily.

BetterthanU

Banned
Silver03Snake said:
When the early numbers came out that the 03 Cobra was dynoing 365 rwhp nobody wangted to believe it.

the disappointment isn't coming from the mod potential, which I'm sure will be great.....it comes from the bloated weight and seemingly less than expected performance #s, all beit only from the mags at this point. The people that are upset are upset because they were expecting it to be more of a progression from the previous model (as far as performance #s) than it appears to be.

This car will be the biggest underperforming car ever if it runs 114-116 in mag tests, and then turns around and somehow runs 120+ at the tracks, which I personally doubt...without ford changing anything....

Dusten

Established Member
Reall guys, if you figure, weight, with that 1/4 mile and trap, the car should be putting 430-440 to the tires, with drivetrain loss is right about 500 at the crank. Sounds like the mag tests are pretty close

281cubes

Wish I Had an SVT
Can't recall which mag it was, but there was a comparison with the Mustang's and Camaro's in the '07 lineup. V6 vs. V6, GT350 vs. Z28(could be a different model), and GT500 vs. ZL-1. Anyway, they ran the GT500 to an 11.7 with the ZL-1 a tenth or two quicker, even though we all know the GT500 is pratically a I/E away from more than making up that difference. :thumbsup: And let's not even talk about what she'll do with full bolt-on's and/or blower swap. :bowdown: :pop:

Just think what kind of power it takes for a Terminator to hit an 11.7. Probably something like 460-475? Considering how well the '03/4's dyno stock, why would the GT500 be any different? I expect we will see dyno numbers around 450 if not more because of SVT's success with the Terminators and because they now know what we consumers are gonna wanna do to these things. :D Big shoes to fill, even with the added weight. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

SSSNAKE04

Established Member
I told everyone that the gt500 will suck, its not faster then 03-04 cobras but it costs almost double, its overpriced, overweight piece of shit!!!!!!! But i'll take the engine and stuff it in my terminator....

SVT-Dreamin'

Established Member
Road&Track states:

1/4 mile = 13.1 @ 112.2
0-60 = 4.7 sec
Top Speed = 150* Electronically Limited

Test Notes:
Acceleration: "Traction control on the GT500 allows moderate wheelspin. Launches can be done with it either on or off. It's touchy off the line and needs to be kept just below 4000rpm. Full throttle is nearly impossible in first gear, almost always resulting in unwanted wheelspin......."

Last edited:

BetterthanU

Banned
yea another mag mentioned that, too......I believe c&d.....they said they got a 4.5 0-60 with everything switched off, 4.6 with it on...and they remarked it was easy to launch...? who knows.....and it's limited to 155

Last edited:

Wintermute

Banned
SVT-Dreamin' said:
Road&Track states:

Full throttle is nearly impossible in first gear, almost always resulting in unwanted wheelspin......."

Wow, who would guess that a 4000+lb car with 500hp would spin at WOT in first gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread