Motorcycle Safety Foundation new rider class

snakecharmer

Established Member
Anyone here taken it? Signed up for it next month. Thoughts/comments/advise, etc, would be welcome.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I didnt take it, but I had plenty of experience on a bike prior to. It would have been too "newby" for me as I already rode...Sometimes I wish I would have taken it for the insurance discount though.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I took it and had a pretty good time. On the first day of ridding I got stuck on the Suzuki GN 125 which was kind of small for someone 6'1". The second day they asked me to trade with a woman that was having problems and I got to finish with the Honda Rebel. My wife also took it with me and she had never driven a bike before then and she passed the class.

I have some pics that my buddy took (his wife took it with us too), they are kind of dorky though.

I recomend it to anyone I hear say they are thinking of riding.

Coiled03

Established Member
I took it, and would highly, HIGHLY recommend it. It's an easy way to get relatively comfortable on a bike in a semi-safe (i.e not in traffic) environment. By the end of the course, you'll know the basics of riding, and SHOULD be able to get through light traffic on a motorcycle.

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
Take it. Even if you already have ridden. There is no such thing as too much knowledge. A friend of mine who has been riding for 5 years said it was well worth his time.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
I took it back in 1975. It got me a 30% discount on motorcycle insurance. At the time I took the course I had been riding for 12 years, mostly offroad. I used my Z-1 while taking the course. I think that the only people in the course that had even seen a motorcycle before were the instructor and me.

CentennialVert

Angry Pirate
Established Member
I took it. I have to in Florida because I'm under 21, but I would have taken it anyway. My Dad takes it every year or 2 just to brush up on basics and he's rides almost 25k miles a year on his bike.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Who has the time to take three days for that class. I sure don't. I have been riding illegally for some years now, but I plan on finally getting my license this spring. Most of the police that I know and hang out with don't have theirs either. It is just a pita to make time. When you first get your regular drivers license you are usually about 16-17 years old and have nothing better to do. Now, most bike riders are older and can't just take off and spend a day at the DMV getting their license again. But it is something that everyone should do. Especially those with no experience. I have been riding in one form or another since I was 6 years old and I was place on my first bike, and Suzuki JR50. Since then I have learned a lot.

-Jeff

-Jeff

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
to be honest i wish i saved the $$$$ and not taken it. for some people they actually do need it. i took the class to get my license. if you listen to the instructor on how to do the obstacles, you will pass no problem. and if you are still nervous taking the bike out on the road after you take the class, stay off the road! you will be a hazard to yourself and other people. wait until you are fully confident that no matter what you may come across, you wont freak out and lose control.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
oldmodman said:
I took it It got me a 30% discount on motorcycle insurance.

If you have State Farm, the MSF course does nothing...just like the goggles, they do nothing...:D

But like others, I have friends that rode for years and then took it. If you fear learning to ride by yourself, take it. If you have other insurance and want a discount, take it. If you want to beat the piss out of little 250s, take it. If you want to learn how to carve corners, go to a track day.

u n v kenny

Established Member
DEFINITELY TAKE THE COURSE!!!

1. MSF course
2. Gear (boots, gloves, jacket, helmet)
3. Insurance

Just take the class and don't listen to anyone saying don't take it. You're a new rider, you'll learn something in that class.

snakecharmer

Established Member
Definitely not skipping the class. I don't think my insurance company offers any discounts for doing it, but definitely something I can ask about.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
I've been fortunate to have ridden for almost 30 years. Back in the day, the military required MSF class to get registered on base. I'm glad I took it then and have thought about taking their advanced course. My significant other has never ridden one herself and just took the class a couple of months ago in order to get her license. Still highly recommended and most insurance companies will give you a discount when you pass. Good luck and keep the rubber side down.

Users who are viewing this thread